NASA Orion crew exploration vehicle (updates)

Skiver

Other then Falcon Heavy, are there any other launchers that could get this to the moon?

Also with regards to Space X and Starship, as much as I do believe this will ultimately replace Orion and any of the others that are in development. We do have to keep in mind that we're still pretty early in it's development cycle. It took Space X a good 2-3 years to nail the take off and landing with the Grasshopper, Falcon 1 and then  finally 9. Whilst some of that knowledge they gained will be transferable, it's not all applicable and it's on a much larger scale so we shouldn't get our hopes up on Elon's timescales too much. 

As far as I know they haven't even began to think about life support systems on the ship yet have they? I'm not sure if that's Mars specific or just in general?

DocM
21 hours ago, Skiver said:

Other then Falcon Heavy, are there any other launchers that could get this to the moon?

Once/if the Blue Origin BE-4 engine gets sorted out, the Blue Origin New Glenn or the ULA Vulcan-Centaur 5 Long Heavy (larger upper stage tanks & 6 solid  boosters), but those are delayed by Blue Origin's BE-4 engine problems.  

Also with regards to Space X and Starship, as much as I do believe this will ultimately replace Orion and any of the others that are in development. We do have to keep in mind that we're still pretty early in it's development cycle. It took Space X a good 2-3 years to nail the take off and landing with the Grasshopper, Falcon 1 and then  finally 9. Whilst some of that knowledge they gained will be transferable, it's not all applicable and it's on a much larger scale so we shouldn't get our hopes up on Elon's timescales too much. 

A key event will be a full Starship update in late October. 

While they're testing the SN-05 and SN-06 propulsion modules for short hops, the ramp to high altitude testing and skydiver landing tests is accelerating; 

SN-08 to SN-11 are already being built, all full airframes, and the tanks for Super Heavy #1 are already under construction. The High Bay (vehicle assembly building) is being topped off, and the orbital launch table is also well along. Its 6 legs are almost ready for their concrete pours.

That update should be fun.

As far as I know they haven't even began to think about life support systems on the ship yet have they? I'm not sure if that's Mars specific or just in general?

The huge volume of air in a Crew  Starship (850-1000 cubic meters vs. 10 for Crew Dragon) would provide a huge buffer. A 4 person crew could survive weeks with nothing more than fans to keep the air circuculating, CO2 scrubbers, filters,  humidity control and a supplementary O2 tank. More than enough for lunar missions.

Also pack a couple microwave ovens, freezers for frozen meals, and two of Crew Dragon's toilets (one of each a spare).

Mars would need a more involved recycling environmental control system, and they have been working on one.  So has a team of Honeywell and Paragon SDC, both ISS contractors, for commercial exploration vehicles.

• Like 3