Photo

Why not try Ayds (Pronounced AIDS), they work!

video

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,779 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 23:11

OMG... .HAHAHAHAHAHA

#2 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,933 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 15 August 2014 - 23:24

Heh I remember that commercial.  Think they changed it to "Diet Ayds" in the 80s.. shockingly that didn't help.

thankyoubu.jpg

#3 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,015 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:02

Ayds (pronounced as "aids") was an appetite-suppressant candy which enjoyed strong sales in the 1970s and early 1980s and was originally manufactured by The Campana Company. It was available in chocolate, chocolate mint, butterscotch, and caramel flavors, and later a peanut butter flavor was introduced. The original packaging used the phrase "Ayds Reducing Plan vitamin and mineral Candy"; a later version used the phrase "appetite suppressant candy". The active ingredient was originally benzocaine, presumably to reduce the sense of taste to reduce eating, later changed in the candy as reported by the New York Times to phenylpropanolamine.

By the mid-1980s, public awareness of the disease AIDS caused problems for the brand due to the phonetic similarity of names. While initially sales were not affected, by 1988 the chair of Dep Corporation announced that the company was seeking a new name because sales had dropped as much as 50% due to publicity about the disease.[3] While the product's name was changed to Diet Ayds (Aydslim in Britain), it was eventually withdrawn from the market.

#4 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,779 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:52

Ayds (pronounced as "aids") was an appetite-suppressant candy which enjoyed strong sales in the 1970s and early 1980s and was originally manufactured by The Campana Company. It was available in chocolate, chocolate mint, butterscotch, and caramel flavors, and later a peanut butter flavor was introduced. The original packaging used the phrase "Ayds Reducing Plan vitamin and mineral Candy"; a later version used the phrase "appetite suppressant candy". The active ingredient was originally benzocaine, presumably to reduce the sense of taste to reduce eating, later changed in the candy as reported by the New York Times to phenylpropanolamine.

By the mid-1980s, public awareness of the disease AIDS caused problems for the brand due to the phonetic similarity of names. While initially sales were not affected, by 1988 the chair of Dep Corporation announced that the company was seeking a new name because sales had dropped as much as 50% due to publicity about the disease.[3] While the product's name was changed to Diet Ayds (Aydslim in Britain), it was eventually withdrawn from the market.

Thank you for that lovey novel, that video still made may day!

#5 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,015 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:23

^ I'm sending you a box of Ayds for Xmas.

And, sorry -- I grew up seeing boxes of Ayds candy, so it is a very old joke for me.

#6 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,959 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:44

I must be getting old – I guessed what this thread was going to be about before clicking.

#7 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,180 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:16

Thank you for that lovey novel

You don't read much do you? ;)

#8 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,118 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:30

^ I'm sending you a box of Ayds for Xmas.

how did you first get ayds?

#9 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,180 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:32

Monkeys ;)

#10 xrobwx

xrobwx

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

• 1,038 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:40

Because of the "Aides" media or because it was yet another bull schit fad diet thing?  :D

#11 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,015 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 16:30

If I want to eat some Ayds, I can just call up my boyfriend !

*ba-dum tish*

#12 Jub Fequois

Jub Fequois

Owlblood

• 964 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 16 August 2014 - 16:42

Aydslim in Britain

I so want to make a religious joke right now.  :shifty: