Will Windows 9 reintroduce the classic theme?

It's just so ultra clean and simple, allowing me to go about my work without getting distracted by the latest fad whether it's shiny 3D buttons, gradients and transparent this or that. Felt like Windows lost its soul after MS took it away.

And that is probably why it will never return, we are in the age of regressive software, windows is going backwards, things that 'just worked' are replaced with boring, ugly substitutes that are lacking in features and simply don't belong on a desktop pc.

• Like 2

And that is probably why it will never return, we are in the age of regressive software, windows is going backwards, things that 'just worked' are replaced with boring, ugly substitutes that are lacking in features and simply don't belong on a desktop pc.

Because going forward specifically states we cannot deprecate older features?

Because going forward specifically states we cannot deprecate older features?

Going forward doesn't mean getting rid of things that are still useful in favor of things that restrict the user or dumbing-down the UI.

• Like 3

The Classic theme suffered from being too bland. It's a classic 90's look that just doesn't really need to come back. Plus, I can change colors in Windows Vista, 7, 8.1, and 10. So, I'm not really sure what point you're making there. Aero and Metro are both as space efficient.

The Classic theme was designed for different graphics capabilities : no anti-aliasing, compatibility with low-color monitors, low resolutions, no subtle effects. 

It was a good for its time... but the reason it changed wasn't fashion and changing tastes. The reason it changed is because computers are better.

The same reason, at least IMO, why interfaces are now moving over to flat icons. It used to be hard to make flat icons look good, with lack of anti-aliasing, alpha channels, high resolutions, scaling. Now, it's pretty easy. That's not just about fashion either, IMO.

Thinking about it, I have been thinking of moving the win32k stuff back to CSRSS for a while now. That would be a good time to put the DWM into CSRSS too, leaving only the classic theme code needed for appcompat.

I'd rather have that old classic theme over the ugly crap they have now.

Hopefully they come out with something thats better than what they had in 8 or the tech preview, but doubt that they will.

• Like 3

LOL, they said you can use Windows Flip in Windows 8, but that was removed in Windows 8. :rolleyes:

sent them feedback to amend the article.

nice catch :P

The same reason, at least IMO, why interfaces are now moving over to flat icons. It used to be hard to make flat icons look good,

Obviously it's still hard to make flat icons look good, at least for microsoft anyway.

I find Office 2013 a pleasure to work in. There are some problems with the interface, but the icon style isn't one of them IMO.

The W10 icons so far that people are complaining about are Office-style icons. People just expect something different for app icons than they do for ribbon icons, I guess. I like the more subtle, shaded Google style Material icons too... they have a lot of style... Although I think the Office-style icons are fine, and they're very clean and sharp. I think they look better than people are giving them credit for.

Eventually my wish is Microsoft eventually replaces its icon system with vector based icons, like they've enabled with multi-color fonts. Currently those are unshaded.. though it would be cool if they had a shading option that could be hidden or disabled with a flag. The cool thing behind vector icons is they can be infinitely mod-able to user preference, and based on UI context.

Classic mode has regressed in quality ever since Windows Vista.

Everything regressed in quality in Windows starting from Win2000

I'm glad classic is dead, good riddance 

At work we have moved to 7/8 and at first a few fools complained that it "looks different" unlike some I never mentioned the classic theme in 7, guess what, all the whinging like a baby stopped once they started USING windows 7/8, hell there was more useless crying over the XP-7 change than the 7-8 changes 

Moral of the story, suck it up and get over it, the new UIs are just better in every way 

The new IU is worse in any way. The next OS I will install will be Windows 2000/ I am fed up with this Win7 crap. And even Win XP is of lower quality compared to Win 2000.

What's even more ironic is that Windows 8's interface already contains significantly less transparency and glossiness by default, so why do we even need Classic?

Obviously not to combat transparency.

The Classic theme was designed for different graphics capabilities : no anti-aliasing, compatibility with low-color monitors, low resolutions, no subtle effects. 

It was a good for its time... but the reason it changed wasn't fashion and changing tastes. The reason it changed is because computers are better.

A think which was better at older hardware will be exponentially better on newer hardware. I do not want those gigantic buttons and window borders to reduce my screen space roughly to the '90s era. If I buy a new computer, I expect more things to fit on the screen, not less or the same because somebody decided that newer monitor needs greater buttons.

Yeah but the metro-style theme is an updated version of the classic theme.  It's the same to me...

So to answer the OP question, I say yes.  It's called "metro" :p  lol

One important thing in the Classic theme is that it has 3D appearance and 3D button feedback. I simply cannot live without any 3D feedback. If I press a button and it does not get pressed, I instinctively press the mouse button harder and still feel this somehow did not work. I have to think every time "well, it did not get pressed, but this does not mean it not worked, it just changed the color..." etc. And these thoughts every time!

What's even more ironic is that Windows 8's interface already contains significantly less transparency and glossiness by default, so why do we even need Classic?

Well, Win10 interface looks more like Windows 1 from 1980. A humble style designed initially for very poor hardware:

092e1335-9c7f-43ee-99f9-0846ae915dd7_7.j

The new IU is worse in any way. The next OS I will install will be Windows 2000/ I am fed up with this Win7 crap. And even Win XP is of lower quality compared to Win 2000.

What the heck do you think you'll be able to run by installing that?

One important thing in the Classic theme is that it has 3D appearance and 3D button feedback. I simply cannot live without any 3D feedback. If I press a button and it does not get pressed, I instinctively press the mouse button harder and still feel this somehow did not work. I have to think every time "well, it did not get pressed, but this does not mean it not worked, it just changed the color..." etc. And these thoughts every time!

Windows Vista, 7, and 8.1 all have button "pressing" feedback. Buttons today work just the same as they did 15 years ago.

• Like 2

Windows Vista, 7, and 8.1 all have button "pressing".

Office 97. Clippy included.

IE 6.

ICQ 2000.

... and all the other quality software from the era.

• Like 2

The same things as Windows XP. One can add DX9 (or even 11), ClearType support, Windows Restore, IPv6, .NET4.0, arranging icons by grid and other things to Win2000. It is essentially the same OS as WinXP but of higher quality and less bugs.

Windows Vista, 7, and 8.1 all have button "pressing" feedback. Buttons today work just the same as they did 15 years ago.

Even Start orb, taskbar, window close buttons? In Aero - no. Also in Aero(and other non-clessic themes) there is no support for ClearType on the taskbar which is in itself is highly annoying (it is just one of the myriads of bugs in Win7).

But it has been already mentioned that the Classic theme is still in Win10 albeit hidden, so the main problem of Windows Vista+ for me is not Aero? but totally crapped file manager. Once ReactOS succeeds with re-writing Explorer, I may consider switching to Win10 or leter.

The same things as Windows XP. One can add DX9 (or even 11), ClearType support, Windows Restore, IPv6, .NET4.0, arranging icons by grid and other things to Win2000. It is essentially the same OS as WinXP but of higher quality and less bugs.

Even Start orb, taskbar, window close buttons? In Aero - no. Also in Aero(and other non-clessic themes) there is no support for ClearType on the taskbar which is in itself is highly annoying (it is just one of the myriads of bugs in Win7).

But it has been already mentioned that the Classic theme is still in Win10 albeit hidden, so the main problem of Windows Vista+ for me is not Aero? but totally crapped file manager. Once ReactOS succeeds with re-writing Explorer, I may consider switching to Win10 or leter.

I have to surmise based on your join date and posts that you are someone's troll account, nothing you have posted has made any logical sense whatsoever 

• Like 2