Will Windows 9 reintroduce the classic theme?

The the base fallback "classic" is missing major and large parts of the GUI elements used in modern windows, resulting in those just being white areas.

The classic interface doesn't even look good mixed with the modern / XP era GUI elements that... in order for it to look good, they'd have to redesign everything for it. Until then, its just a weird Frankenstein interface and I can't imagine why it appeals to anyone.

there's a game that I haven't heard of in ages... I remember how "risque" that game was considered in the day

I was reading that the old time fans of the series were upset by the newer games made with 'Larry Lovage', the original character's nephew, because they found them smutty instead of just being risqu?.

Absolutely... not.

That avatar looks like a schoolbus with a giant blue tire..  :)  :shifty:

• 4 weeks later...

No, I don't think that Microsoft will bring back the Classic theme. This article explains why Microsoft made the decision to keep the Desktop Window Manager enabled at all times in Windows 8. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh848042%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

It is possible to use Classic theme without disabling the DWM via hacking:

http://web.archive.org/web/20140819031246/http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=113024

Classic is what you normally see in Enterprise, and it gives Windows a bad, ugly perception.

Classic theme has the best look, the most clear look and it is the most space-efficient.

With Windows 8, they eliminated the ugly basic battleship grey and Windows 7 gradient heavy, washed out colored basic themes.

One can set the classic theme to any color they prefer, it is the most customizable theme.

Why? What benefit does it have on any computer in use today?

For instance to have a standardized look. Now every new Windows version has its own theme which may be not liked by somebody or which can be incompatible with sortware or which may confuse people. There should be one standard thing.

That's not how it works.

when you have some education and experience in high level developement of OS software you can talk about what keeping and adding elements affects and costs.  As I said just the QnA for having it there doubles. of course since the classic isn't technically in windows and isn't used except for fallback it isn't required for full testing. a basic skin would require to be tested in EVERY POSSIBLE use case test scenario along with the normal skin. 

Microsoft introduce a new skin in every new version of Windows now. And admittedly all themes are more buggy than Classic starting with XP. Win2000 had no theme bugs, Win7 has a LOT.

The classic interface doesn't even look good mixed with the modern / XP era GUI elements that... in order for it to look good, they'd have to redesign everything for it. Until then, its just a weird Frankenstein interface and I can't imagine why it appeals to anyone.

If an element does not respect theming and designed for only one theme, it is a badly written element.

For instance to have a standardized look. Now every new Windows version has its own theme which may be not liked by somebody or which can be incompatible with sortware or which may confuse people. There should be one standard thing.

Not really. Every Two versions have their own theme. E,g Vista and 7. 8 and 8.1 all share similar themes

Classic theme has the best look, the most clear look and it is the most space-efficient.

One can set the classic theme to any color they prefer, it is the most customizable theme.

The Classic theme suffered from being too bland. It's a classic 90's look that just doesn't really need to come back. Plus, I can change colors in Windows Vista, 7, 8.1, and 10. So, I'm not really sure what point you're making there. Aero and Metro are both as space efficient.

The Classic theme suffered from being too bland. It's a classic 90's look that just doesn't really need to come back.

Win8 theme is more like the '80s.

Plus, I can change colors in Windows Vista, 7, 8.1, and 10. So, I'm not really sure what point you're making there.

U cannot change the colors as u wish, nor the size of the elements.

Aero and Metro are both as space efficient.

Incorrect. WinClassic is the most dense theme.

U cannot change the colors as u wish, nor the size of the elements.

Of course you can. Search for "Display", and you have options to change the sizes of screen elements there.

Incorrect. WinClassic is the most dense theme.

That's not always a good thing. A good UI makes proper use of whitespace. The classic UI has too many elements that just didn't need to be there, creating a busy UI. Plus, the classic theme doesn't scale. What are you going to do when you get a high resolution monitor? It would be all but impossible to see what's on your screen.

The classic theme also does not fit in with Microsoft's 'modern' marketing scheme.

Of course you can. Search for "Display", and you have options to change the sizes of screen elements there.

In Windows 7 there is no such option for non-classic themes. Also there is no option to change the colors of elements (such as selection color), except editiong the .msstyle file with a resource hacker.

Plus, the classic theme doesn't scale. What are you going to do when you get a high resolution monitor? It would be all but impossible to see what's on your screen.

In Classic theme u can adjust the size of the elements and fonts. But honestly I never had a monitor with which I would want to make the elements bigger, I currently have a 1920x1200 monitor and my only concern is how to make the elements smaller and desier.

The classic theme also does not fit in with Microsoft's 'modern' marketing scheme.

What do u mean? If u mean the "modern" applications, they do not fit with ANY desktop theme, including Aero.

post-417173-0-15133400-1318097695.jpg

This is why.

(Yes, I'm bringing her back, mainly because this kinda reminds me of it)

Classic mode has regressed in quality ever since Windows Vista. It's shocking that they managed to make its UI changes work on the Aero UI layout, but what would you rather do? Shed legacy components, or keep trying to adapt ancient paradigms on modern systems?

post-417173-0-15133400-1318097695.jpg

This is why.

(Yes, I'm bringing her back, mainly because this kinda reminds me of it)

Classic mode has regressed in quality ever since Windows Vista. It's shocking that they managed to make its UI changes work on the Aero UI layout, but what would you rather do? Shed legacy components, or keep trying to adapt ancient paradigms on modern systems?

I lol'd at the screenshot. Who knows where the accursed one is these days...

Edit: For your viewing pleasure:

I'm glad classic is dead, good riddance 

At work we have moved to 7/8 and at first a few fools complained that it "looks different" unlike some I never mentioned the classic theme in 7, guess what, all the whinging like a baby stopped once they started USING windows 7/8, hell there was more useless crying over the XP-7 change than the 7-8 changes 

Moral of the story, suck it up and get over it, the new UIs are just better in every way