Win7 Upgrade To Windows 10 TP

I expect IE to be gone completely from Windows 10 on phones by RTM

A MS guy said IE is expected to stay for about 4~5 years, don't know if he also mean phones too, he said actually Spartan as of now is just about 30% finished, still a long way ahead.  :)

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/microsoft-clarifies-who-gets-free-windows-10-114730456889.html

Microsoft Clears Up Just Who Gets Free Windows 10
0b7c9256d3cd08ed17a5601ec87c3dffb490eb00
Rafe NeedlemanEditorial Director, Yahoo Tech ?March? ?27?, ?2015

1ddd484b0166ede2836e2921748aa65108417daf

Microsoft really wants people to upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes out this summer. So much that Microsoft announced at an event in January that upgrading to Windows 10 would be free for a year.

But then what?

I had a chance to sit down with Aaron Woodman, senior director of product marketing at Microsoft, to get the skinny on the

Change Spartan default search to Google instead of Bing: :) 

http://microsoft-news.com/dont-use-bing-heres-how-to-enable-google-search-on-project-spartan/

Note:
1. MS news got the tweak from Russian site, but I guess you might like to read English instead of Russian.
2. It might cause some problems for some users. 

Btw, I saw some guys wonder why MS rolled out 10049 with Spartan shortly after 10041, and fancied that they were going to put up faster updates, actually it was because there's a target to enter RC around mid-Apr, that means Win10 would have to be feature-complete(at least for RTM edition).

• Like 1

Windows 10 has been feature complete for a while now.

The public release Build 10041 didn't have Spartan, it's not feature-complete.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I found this blog from WindowsCentral quite informative, it basically sums up, at least for now, what the IE Team had expressed publicly.

Before that, I would like to add something I have mentioned before, these were what I heard from MS guys and should be taken with salt:

1. Spartan ATM is only at about 30% of development.

2. IE would stay, the estimation is it would stay for about 4~5 years.

Windows Phone

Q: Why would you put the address bar at the top on mobile? Terrible UX says my Lumia

A: The designs for the phone aren't final yet, but know that we see EVERY bit of feedback on this very hot topic. (Link)

Q: Will the Spartan browser will have Flash player for windows phone also?

A: No Flash on Windows Phone - Adobe is no longer developing Flash for mobile (Link)

Q: Will there be any kind of developer's tool on the mobile version?

A: Yes, in the works. Model will be similar to this one. (Link)

Q: Will Spartan enable us to download data on background in windows phone?

A: Not currently planned but we hear the feedback! We watch UserVoice closely, that's the best place to request (Link)

General Questions about Spartan

Q: Will we be able to pin sites to our taskbar like we could w/ IE?

A: You will be able to pin sites as Tiles in Windows Start (Link)

Q: Will #Spartan eventually be available for other operative systems such as iOS, Android...?

A: We don't have anything planned at the moment - we're completely focused on building a great browser for Windows 10. (Link)

Q: Will Spartan get a store like Chrome Store?!

A: Stay tuned for more details on extensions plans... (Link)

Q: Will you add a home button to Project Spartan?

A: A focus for the new UI is simplicity + reducing unnecessary controls. That said, feedback wanted! (Link)

Q: There will be only one version of Spartan or two browsers for desktop/touch just like on Windows 8.1?

A: Spartan will use Continuum to provide a tailored experience across mouse/touch and desktop/tablet/phone on Windows 10. (Link)

Q: Do you plan to implement bookmarks syncing in #ProjectSpartan like Chrome also with the web access?

A: Your favorites will stay in sync across all your Windows 10 devices. (Link)

Q: Will there be a way to force particular links to open in Spartan/IE or is that going to be up to the user?

A: Links will open in whatever your default browser is. (Link)

Q: Spartan will able to save the notes which I write directly to one drive?

A: That would be pretty natural wouldn't it? ;) Right now we're working on it. Keep upvoting requests on uservoice! (Link)

Q: Will Spartan support website livetiles like IE currently does?

A: Yup, live tiles will be supported (Link)

Q: Will Spartan support RSS by RTW/RTM?

A: We don't currently plan to render RSS feeds in Spartan but it's a great suggestion for UserVoice! (Link)

Q: Any chance of Ctrl-Q quick tabs coming back, or similar thumbnail view of all open tabs? Hugely useful

A: No plans for Quick Tabs exactly (as IE8), but some similar concepts being considered. One shown during 1/21 Spartan video (Link)

Q: Will Spartan have support for multiple windows with the possibility to move tabs between windows, just like Chrome/IE can?

A: Yes! Spartan supports multiple windows today (Go to the ... menu and select "New window") We're working on making it possible to move tabs between windows. Meanwhile!! in Spartan you can right-click on any tab and select "Move to new window" (Link)

Q: Will you consider making the final name of #ProjectSpartan Microsoft Spartan?

A: Oh, *many* names are being considered... ;-) (Link)

Q: Something I love in Chrome but F12 tools doesn't seem to do: Ctrl + R to refresh the tab. Minimizes win switching.

A: O nice, we've added that shortcut recently and hopefully it'll be in a flight soon! (Link)

Q: I can't get any files on localhost to open in #ProjectSpartan. Is this a known bug?

A: It's a security feature! To enable localhost, add the Sp App Container SID to your localhost interface, but lowers security (Link)

Q: Will #ProjectSpartan support Silverlight in the near future? Needed for a company web app.

A: Stay tuned, finalizing plans. But IE will be definitely be available as fallback. (Link)

Q: Is there a particular reason for which Spartan's user Agent says "mozilla, gecko, chrome, safari" and every other browser?

A: There's some good history here

A MDL member has posted the way to bring out Win10 Build 10056 "Dark Theme", this is how it looks like (posted by win10china).

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/60567-DISCUSSION-Windows-10-Technical-Preview-April-Build-(10056)/page52?p=1017342&viewfull=1#post1017342

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize]
"SystemUsesLightTheme"=dword:00000000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BiHacxt.jpg

A MDL member has posted the way to bring out Win10 Build 10056 "Dark Theme", this is how it looks like (posted by win10china).

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/60567-DISCUSSION-Windows-10-Technical-Preview-April-Build-(10056)/page52?p=1017342&viewfull=1#post1017342

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize]

"SystemUsesLightTheme"=dword:00000000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BiHacxt.jpg

It was posted here:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1229527-windows-10-technical-preview/page-250 by user nosense.

OIC, tks. Didn't see it in Neowin News, thought that the guy was original.  :)

You always do seem to know all the tricks in Windows 10 ;) 

Btw, MS has a "Big surprise" for WinInsiders in Build 2015, but I am afraid I couldn't talk about it(anyway I only have a vague idea). 

Eh?

LOL, what a surprise, this time MS do things like clock-work. :laugh: 

bgKyQRP.jpg

Btw, there are already "some" RedStone builds(AFAIK, less than 10), if you know the build no., you know the win10RTM no. too. 

Wait, so Metro 2.0 won't make Windows 10? :-\

And where did you get that idea?

The post above mine?

This is not for sure though.

Probably not, I am afraid, otherwise they won't be able to meet the (new) RTM target in end-June.  :)

Though that "first" RTM date (RTM1) may mean less this time around than it has in the past. Let's say they hit that date. OEMs get it then, but as usual, it won't make it to new machines people can buy until a good three months later. So initially, that's no audience at all.

Also, let's say that the usual MSDN release (and/or leak) comes within a month or so of RTM1. That's a very limited audience and still can't be considered a release in any meaningful sense of the word, except for developers and the press.

The buffer between RTM1 and when MS makes it available to the masses (RTM2, which is different bits than RTM1) is commonly around 3 months, which makes the release that the vast majority will first see (not counting those around here, of course) RTM2 in the fall. That gives them ample time, I think, to include/fix what they couldn't in RTM1, with next to no one ever experiencing the deficiencies of RTM1.

This year, there's a twist: the Mother of All Windows Updates (MOAWU) for Win7/Win81 machines. I could be wrong, but I think the odds of MS unleashing MOAWU with RTM1 is less than 10%. They'd have to be suicidal to do that since they need to be 100% on both the delivery and the product for these users above all. They'll much more likely wait until RTM2, and if that's true, that's the real RTM for almost everyone.

I don't think RTM1 means much this go-around.