Windows 10 Preview Has A Keylogger to Watch Your Every Move

Overrated or should we be concerned? I know its only applies to the Beta but how many people would accept this if they knew, and lets face it people are using this beta as there main machine. I just think people should be aware.

If you are unaware of Microsoft?s privacy policy, so now you should pay attention to what the policy says. Microsoft is watching your every move on the latest Windows 10 Technical Preview, Thanks to portions of Microsoft's privacy policy, which indicates that the technology giant is using keylogger to collect and use users? data in a variety of astounding ways without the user being aware.

?If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of] it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you] enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spell check features,? the privacy policy states.

Essentially by accepting the Windows 10 privacy policy you are allowing Microsoft to screen your files and log your keystrokes. This means, if you open a file and type, Microsoft have access to what you type, and the file info within.

Source

Overrated, they tell you up front and it's been posted on every tech news outlet.  Besides, this is a preview build specifically to get feedback, not for general use and certainly not for grandma to do her banking on.. not actually having it send them feedback/metrics is self-defeating.

I don't think you need a keylogger to get feedback and I don't approve of it but I also don't think its anything to worry about in the sense that the last thing MS want is all your personal information that's a legal nightmare waiting to happen, the system would be built in a way to prevent the data collected being used for much more than building part of a heat map of the OS and UI.

• Like 1

This is a non-issue. They have better things to do in their lives than going through our lives. The reason they collect typing data is to improve the word recommendation feature. It also happens on WP, your phone after a while learns how you spell and makes more correct recommendations.

Overrated or should we be concerned? I know its only applies to the Beta but how many people would accept this if they knew, and lets face it people are using this beta as there main machine. I just think people should be aware.

Source

You can actually participate in the preview and prevent some of the data collection from happening. For example, if you don't applications to collect information about your voice, you can prevent applications from accessing the microphone though the PC Settings -> Privacy -> Microphone, and/or remove those applications entirely. You can also disable your microphone hardware by using Device Manager or the Sound Control Panel applet.

avPIByB.png

59BSdeH.png

I will take this opportunity to note that I love how the PC Settings application scales properly.

This Tech Preview was released with one purpose, above all else. By downloading it, you all agreed to this purpose. That purpose is for collection of feedback and telemetry, to a degree much greater than any final released OS would ever do. This is clearly to help develop the product, and ensure we all get a better OS at the end of it.

Everyone should just put their tin-foil hats away, and un-install the Alpha if they're uncomfortable with it.  Microsoft made all of this abundantly clear, they also gave warnings in no uncertain terms that this build should not be used on production machines.

The fact that people are using this on their main machines despite being told not to means they've consented to all this feedback going back to Microsoft. People should exercise some personal responsibility for a change.

Neowin posted this story on the frontpage the other day and it got taken down pretty quick after being called out by many for what it is - FUD (of course the Neowin writer also surmised that they were collecting your usernames and passwords). They aren't doing anything malicious with anything they capture. They're just trying to improve their software, which is kind of one of the points of a Tech Preview anyway.

Neowin posted this story on the frontpage the other day and it got taken down pretty quick after being called out by many for what it is - FUD (of course the Neowin writer also surmised that they were collecting your usernames and passwords). They aren't doing anything malicious with anything they capture. They're just trying to improve their software, which is kind of one of the points of a Tech Preview anyway.

Yes let's all trust microsoft with our personal information, they have never been dishonest in the past...

/s

Yes let's all trust microsoft with our personal information, they have never been dishonest in the past...

/s

They do all this collection already (with permission) and nothing has come of it. I don't see how this is any different :rolleyes:

I honestly thought all alpha/beta builds of Windows did this already. I didn't realise that Windows 10 was the first to do it.

Doesn't really bother me anyway because it's not like I'm doing anything productive on it.

yes same here no problems working fine, but for me is one update of windows 8.1 hehe :yes: 

Am I the only one who can't really test a product on a VM and without using it ? How can I fully feedback and test the OS without using it daily ? VM is good for simple tests, screenshots or just checking out a new feature, but I think that the only way to really test the OS is by using it on your main machine. I'm not a 12 y/o who installs it because it's cool and/or free, I really do want to test and send active feedback, but I can't help feeling a bit uncomfortable because of the keylogging. I honestly can't see the problem with letting users opt out of the keylogging feature, I know they need that for the auto complete testing, but the OS alpha testing and feedback is so much more than just that....

now i did not really expect this from ms. sure, they want to get feedback on what the user does and what he uses or not, but keylogging every keypush is just a no go. password safety? :/

now i did not really expect this from ms. sure, they want to get feedback on what the user does and what he uses or not, but keylogging every keypush is just a no go. password safety? :/

Liked for truth.

:laugh:

/s

I'd rather trust Microsoft with my information than Google or Apple.

• Like 2

This is beyond the threshold of privacy level that tester might not approved to be honest. We will give feedback if is truly necessary. 

Just imagine a hotel provide a limited time without paying any dime for staying two days one night but the customer must allow to be watch by CCTV 24/7 inside the room.  

Bad idea.  :/

/s

You didn't have to trust Microsoft

You didn't have to participate in a pre-release alpha

You didn't have to install Windows 10

You didn't have to use it as your main OS

If you did, you have only yourself to blame.

/ns

You didn't have to trust Microsoft

You didn't have to participate in a pre-release alpha

You didn't have to install Windows 10

You didn't have to use it as your main OS

If you did, you have only yourself to blame.

/ns

No one is "blaming" MS, but why can't we have a dialog with them about it, instead of "no question asked" policy ?

It's a two ways street, we want to test it, they want our feedback (trust me, they need us more than we need them... what if there would have been zero d/l of the preview ?)

Just because they're the big corporate doesn't mean we must agree to everything they ask. Yes, not testing the OS is an option, but hopefully they will listen and patch a middle ground with the next build.

I don't know why Microsoft needs to logs my key, but since I agree to their terms, there's really nothing to complain about.

Perhaps it's for a new revamped on-screen keyboard for better suggestions when you type/swipe?