Anybody looking forward to the new baldur's gate 3 game? If it's even half as good as nr.1-2, I'm going to be a happy man :D

Never played that series.  Then again, this is the first Dragon Age game I played.  To many games/series..so little time these days

Anybody looking forward to the new baldur's gate 3 game? If it's even half as good as nr.1-2, I'm going to be a happy man :D

You mean from a company that hasn't made one original game yet? (Though don't get me wrong, I appreciate them making the remakes of the original BG games) How do we even know they could make anything even remotely near BG 1 or 2? Let alone Icewind Dale etc etc. There's a huge difference between redoing some textures, cleaning up a UI and whatever, and actually building a new game. Though using the old engine as they want to, might help them in that regards I suppose.

(And yes, I know several original Bioware guys that worked on BG 1 and 2 work at the company there now)

What is ticking me off is locked areas that require you to have a Rouge in order to unlock.  Is there an unlock skill on other characters?  Annoying going thru a mission and having to go back to camp and switch up the party and then run back to the location.

I just got it for PC yesterday!

Any advice??     i don't want to read full thread... lol.   so i am asking just in case.

i did Dragon Age Keep online, since i did not play previous games, and i am caught up on story (so much of it) and choices (which i probably don't remember, since there are a lot)

You mean from a company that hasn't made one original game yet? (Though don't get me wrong, I appreciate them making the remakes of the original BG games) How do we even know they could make anything even remotely near BG 1 or 2? Let alone Icewind Dale etc etc. There's a huge difference between redoing some textures, cleaning up a UI and whatever, and actually building a new game. Though using the old engine as they want to, might help them in that regards I suppose.

(And yes, I know several original Bioware guys that worked on BG 1 and 2 work at the company there now)

2 of the guys from Beamdog used to be big Bioware guys,

Trent Oster is Bioware co-fonders.

Cameron Tofer was a Bioware lead programmer.

Bioware is still a good company but is vastly different than what it was when Baldur's Gate was done.

BTW they did not just remake BG and BG2. They added new npc. Neera is a really nice new npc that really fit perfectly in the Baldur's Gate games. WOTC even sort of approved Neera as an offical char since she appeared in offical comic.

What is ticking me off is locked areas that require you to have a Rouge in order to unlock.  Is there an unlock skill on other characters?  Annoying going thru a mission and having to go back to camp and switch up the party and then run back to the location.

There are areas you have to have each class.  You get 4 character slots in your party you should always have at least one of each class (plus two of one class).

There are locks that requires a rogue.

There are magical barriers that required element damage of a specific type that tend toward mages (though they may be doable by non mages with weapons/attacks of the right energy type... I'm not sure) but there ARE "Energize" things that repair bridges or light special torches that require a mage.

There are "bash" things to break through doors/walls or destroy crystals and such that require a warrior.

There are areas you have to have each class.  You get 4 character slots in your party you should always have at least one of each class (plus two of one class).

There are locks that requires a rogue.

There are magical barriers that required element damage of a specific type that tend toward mages (though they may be doable by non mages with weapons/attacks of the right energy type... I'm not sure) but there ARE "Energize" things that repair bridges or light special torches that require a mage.

There are "bash" things to break through doors/walls or destroy crystals and such that require a warrior.

Just dont care for the Rouges.  Seem to always get themselves killed.  Maybe I dont have them setup right, I dunno.  going to look at some character guides and reset some skills later on on my characters I play with.  And Varric just bugs me so may just go with Cole.

And I like having to warriors really.  Normally run with 2 warriors and a Mage.

Oh, and Iron Bulls and Cassandra's dialog together is pretty funny...haha.

Since it's not being made by Bioware, I'm keeping a wait and see attitude

Bioware isn't the same company that made Baldur's Gate anymore.  The main founders have left the company and it's just a branch of EA now.  Trent Oster who owns Beamdog was one of the Bioware founders.  I think everyone else has retired from game development (Augustine Yip went back to medicine after Shattered Steel and before Baldur's Gate was even out, the other two doctors retired fairly recently, Marcel Zeschuk left to farm a while back).  Beamdog is about as close to the old Bioware is you're going to get now... well... James Ohlen is still at Bioware I think and while not a founder he was the lead developer of Baldur's Gate so that's pretty much all that's left of Bioware of old.  It's not much different from how 343 is doing Halo now instead of Bungie.  This is really off topic for a Dragon Age thread though.

Just dont care for the Rouges.  Seem to always get themselves killed.  Maybe I dont have them setup right, I dunno.  going to look at some character guides and reset some skills later on on my characters I play with.  And Varric just bugs me so may just go with Cole.

Personally I made a rogue because I hate playing mages (like them in the party, just don't like to BE them) and while I like warriors I didn't think it wise that the savoir of the world be a guy who rushes into combat on the front lines.  I'm not real fond of the NPC rogues either though so I'm really glad I made one (Cole is probably my favorite but as I'm a rogue I really never use them and he's set up with dual daggers for me and I'm not sure how survivable that is... I prefer my squishy rogues use bows but Verric annoys me... again thankfully I'm a rogue archer.)

I usually go around with me (rogue), two warriors, and a mage.  I'm set up with archery and stealth, both Cass and Black are setup about the same until the specialization so I usually have one or the other, Iron Bull is my two handed guy so he typically takes one of my warrior slots, and my fav mage is Solas.

I prefer Cass over Black but I use Black if I'm doing a mission related to wardens.  I swap out Iron Bull for a rogue if I'm doing one of the NPC rogue missions (I need the sword and board guys to draw agro) but otherwise he's a staple on my team (I too enjoy his banter with Cass)  I likewise swap out Solas for the other NPC mages only when doing missions related to them.

As for how to set them up I set up Iron Bull to defend himself.  I set up Cass and Black to defend my character (even if I'm not controlling him).  I set up ranged attackers (me, Verric, spellcasters) to attack the player's (no matter which character I am) target, and so far I haven't used the melee rogues (Cole and Sera for me) so I'm not sure how to set them up.  I can't stand Sera's personality, I guess she's supposed to be an archer though but I've get her set up as twin daggers because Verric and I have archery covered and I got her before Cole.  I have no idea how survivable a dual dagger rogue is or what good strategies are for NPC ones.

What?   You cannot WALK in the PC version at all?   I did not care much, though i was just doing something wrong until I got to an area were I wanted to walk, and then I tried anything.  No, only running.  ######! How easy this is to patch!!!

I give my rogue the stealth ability usually as the first level up point and my rogues are usually the last party member alive if things go badly.

60 hours in.

this is by far the most amazing PRG i have ever played.

i mostly skip RPGs due to the time it takes, but if it is great i give it a go.

arcanum, neverwinter nights, kotor - this one beats them.. 

story is great, lore is great, and the graphics on gaming PC are one of the best ever (though i don't like how everything is shiny. rocks in caves should not ###### like they are polished and wet.

it definately takes the crown from the best RPG from my previous pick - Witcher 2.

certainly puts A LOT of pressure for Witcher 3 to be amazing...

if you have doubts, try it. after 5-6 hours in, i forgot about bad pc controls....  i was enjoying myself too much, and exploring..

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

What if you have an X1 but don't have EA Access... can you still buy it tomorrow or is it exclusive to EA Access subscribers for a while?

Judging by this photo, it seems to be an EA Access thing

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

How do you set the AI of mages and archers, to keep maximum distance?

The three idiots keep sticking close to Cassandra when fighting dragon and die instantly due to AOE wing attack.

Generally speaking the combat system is terrible compared to the quality system in DAII / DAO.

I usually end up holding two buttons - one to turn and one to attack. Both should be automatic.

I can't even zoom out to see everyone in the "tactical" view to control them.

:(

• 2 months later...

Review,

Combat - 1/5 - Terrible

The combat system went from good to terrible in Inquisition. I distinctly remember it being a queue based attack system with priorities that you can set for each character.

There is little, or almost nothing, you can change about your party behavior. It has been simplified from a strategy to MMORPG mechanic.

All I did was hold down right and left mouse button almost the whole time. Nothing else. It is the worst combat system I recall.

Also enemies do not use moves that you and your party uses - which is weird.

Your party will always congregate around you and magically teleport to you - the AI distance is very short.

Over it is a massive downgrade from a strategy based combat in DA:O

Enemy Design - 3/5

There is little variety when it comes to things from the rifts. Same few monster types.

Now granted, DA games do get Dragon fighting right (omitting the terrible combat system) compared to Skyrim.

Big and mean.

Environment Design - 4/5

Too color saturated my only complaint - too generic fantasy colors.

Otherwise the variety of environments is excellent - unlike DAII.

The maps are big enough - but just like with Bethesda's games they are not open - chunks do not exist they pretend to by not having an access point (I am looking at you Fallout 3).

Quests - 2/5

Fetch quests galore. Want to raise power - fetch these items ("requisitions"). Or order one of your three agents at the war table to get 5 herbs.

5 not 100 - your advisors are terrible at gathering resources. Worst offender is the shards gathering.

Another terrible mechanic is waiting REAL TIME for some war table missions to complete.

War table might not be a bad idea to command your three advisors but waiting in REAL TIME for the quests to complete.

I got bored of all of this - the quests are boring and, honestly, there should be less of them.

Leveling - 3/5

Too slow for one. Second issue are the skills you get. They are not that fun - especially when at least one of your party members already has such a skill.

Maxing our a specific trait is not hard. You never feel powerful either. Rehashed feel.

Characters - 4/5

Dialogue is interesting at your home base. Characters are interesting and well written - but romance is meh at best.

Main Story - 1/5

Spoiler: Nothing happened. Yes, somewhat unfair, and yes the cut scene going to Skyhold was good. But, really, nothing happened - it is a massive let down.

Inquisition makes the Dragon Age universe feel boring. It is hard to explain really.

Multiplayer - Don't Care / 5

Why?

Overall - 1/5

MMORPG style combat with fetch quests and inconsequential plot. Avoid. A $20 dollar game.

In every reviews or gameplay videos i've watched the game did not look really great. I'm still puzzled at all the great scores it got. I'm still torn between buying it or not i'm afraid it will be the next Neverwinter Nights (very overrated game imo). Bioware games often get a bonus 1 point for being Bioware. Jade Empire was an average game rated 8+ by most medias. The user score on metacritics is a lot lower than the media score. I'll probably buy it at 5$ but i don't expect to pay more for it.

In every reviews or gameplay videos i've watched the game did not look really great. I'm still puzzled at all the great scores it got. I'm still torn between buying it or not i'm afraid it will be the next Neverwinter Nights (very overrated game imo). Bioware games often get a bonus 1 point for being Bioware. Jade Empire was an average game rated 8+ by most medias. The user score on metacritics is a lot lower than the media score. I'll probably buy it at 5$ but i don't expect to pay more for it.

Probably best to wait for the steam summer sale (probably within a few weeks) or maybe even the Christmas sale.

Edit: DA:I isn't on steam. Nevermind.

for what it is worth i really enjoyed it, and i though parts of it were really great.   i am not your typical rpg player, and i like the pretty locations, and fighting new monsters.  if the graphics were not good, i would be bored much earlier.

combat did suck a lot, and you could just blast though it if you chose a mage.    as i rouge i really disliked the fighting near the end.   i could not get the mages and fighers to do what i wanted.  annoying.

story was really not as bad as alexander points it.   graphically it was impressive and i really enjoyed the cutscenes.  few of them had me on the edge of my seat.

because i liked the looks and tried to explore a lot, i did sunk 100 hours in to it (out of which 50-70 was playing and the rest leaving the PC on for your war board assistant to finish their dumb stuff.... )

5/10 for me, since it was really refreshing on the graphics and art design, and cinematics. and i did actually got into the individuals stories.

still, witcher 3 really does wins on all the ends, combining much better story and combat options (though the controls again seem to suck, even compared to witcher 2 on PC)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dragon Age Inquisition: The Descent (DLC) Arriving August 11

Descending into the deep roads and uncovering a secret to the DA universe...

Source

Could be cool. Might have to re-install this