Wish to purchase a console, recommendations please

I am a hardcore PC gamer, but recently have seen some titles that are only released in the consoles. My daughter has a Wii and had a PS2, and we are considering purchasing a Wii-U. My question is which console is better? X-Box 360/x1 or PS4. If I could get an objective pro/con for each I would appreciate it.

I enjoy FPS, action, etc. My daughter would enjoy games like Skyrim, etc, she's 13, so anything that is 'age appropriate'

You buy a Nintendo console for Nintendo exclusives. Mario. Zelda. Pikmin. Donkey Kong. etc. - If none of those titles interest you or your daughter, then the Wii U isn't for you.

Personally, I think the PS4 is better but only because I like the exclusives on the PS better. Infamous. Uncharted. and a lot of the "indie" stuff. I think some of the indie games would be appropriate for your daughter.

That isn't to say the ONE has nothing to offer, it does. Killer Instinct. Sunset Overdrive. Forza. Halo. and so on. I'm not all that sure how robust the "indie" scene for the ONE is, someone else might be able to fill you in there.

Either way, it's not like you're going to be much worse off if you choose one over the other. You'll have times where an exclusive comes out for the other system and you'll think "damn, I wish I could play that!". But it would be true whichever console you had.

lol is Skyrim really age appropriate for 13? Well if you like Skyrim types of games you'd probably want either an Xbox 360 or PS3 (huge library, cheap, but old), or Xbox One/PS4. The new consoles obviously cost a bit more and have fewer games, but that's where all the new games are coming out now. Right now it's hard to beat the Xbox One's price, and it has Halo which is FPS. I don't think there's a new Skyrim game out yet.

Don't rule out the PS4 though, it has a lot of the same games as Xbox One which may run better but probably not so much that the average person would be able to tell the difference. I would suggest checking out the exclusives on both systems and decide which ones interest you more.

The Wii U has some really good games but very poor third party support. You're basically buying the Wii U to play Nintendo games.

If you watch TV though I would not forget about the nice integration on the Xbox One. I am watching football on my Xbox right now.

lol is Skyrim really age appropriate for 13? 

I was going to ask that. There are much more violent games, I suppose, but I'd be hesitant to buy it for someone under about 15 or 16. Depending on how mature they were.

• Like 1

Xbox One:

Better online services / uptime

Halo (I personally think this game is terrible but it seems to have a big fanbase and one of the main reasons people buy the X1)

PS4:

Better Hardware Specs

Infamous (I loved all previous infamous games but I didn't like Second Son)

It all comes down to the game. The hardware part rarely plays any significant part unlike some people want You to believe.

Look up the coming (or already there) exclusives and decide on that. Most games are on all 3 platforms anyway. (And if You want to play Mario games You are tied to the Wii anyway) Or at least on both consoles. Of course both then have some games that won't make it to other platforms to attract customers and You should do Your choice going by that.

I own an PS3 just for the sake of the exclusives it had/has but now it just sits in the closet as I fell in love with PC gaming again.

Or just an suggestion, why not build an low-mid end gaming PC for your daughter? You know, I think You could maybe put in 100 bucks more and get a very decent gaming PC already.

I was a Sega console user before I switched to MS with the original xbox and then the 360. Just recently bought by first Sony console, the PS4.

I think the UI of the PS4 dashboard is terrible. Nothing works unless you are connected online (you can't even list the trophies). The 360 was far superior in this area.

Having said that, I'd take the PS4 over the X1 and make The Last of Us remastered the first game to play. I was blown away by how good that game was.

I'm an Xbox guy so I can't I may miss out things for the PS however if you're into FPS games then the way you should look at this is, what games have the exclusives that you like the looks of.

PS has Killzone, I'm sure there are probably more exclusives but this is the only big one I am aware of when it comes to FPS games.

Xbox has Halo and Titanfall, although the latter being available on PC so if you have any interest in that I suspect you already have it.

As its been said above, it comes down to games - look at what is exclusive to each console and pick whichever takes your fancy. However if you do want a console for your daughter, a Wii-u may be best suited.

A lot of AAA titles go multiplatform so the chances of the title being available for both ps4 and x1 are high

The snag comes from Exclusives...

If you're more into halo, go x1, if you prefer killzone, go ps4, both are very capable gaming consoles, but at the moment, the x1 has an advantage as the more centralised media device, as the ps4 is retarded, and has none.

(This from a playstation gamer)

I enjoy FPS, action, etc. My daughter would enjoy games like Skyrim, etc, she's 13, so anything that is 'age appropriate'

She'd probably quite like Project Spark.

LittleBigPlanet 3 would be a good shout for someone that age. Unlike some games that do create and share, but neglect gameplay, LBP genuinely has all 3.

• Like 3

I am a hardcore PC gamer, but recently have seen some titles that are only released in the consoles. My daughter has a Wii and had a PS2, and we are considering purchasing a Wii-U. My question is which console is better? X-Box 360/x1 or PS4. If I could get an objective pro/con for each I would appreciate it.

What does "better" mean to you?

If you are talking hardware (memory, GPU, etc.) then the PS4 is "better"

If you are talking console exclusives the Wii U is probably "better", unless you're not a fan of Nintendo games. (best 1st party titles)

XBox 360 has the biggest online community in the U.S. (assuming you are from FL like your profile says) as the "next gens" are still getting started and Xbox 360 dominated in the U.S. last gen (it was close worldwide only because of high PS3 sales outside the U.S.)  Although if you only have a Wii and PS2 so far then you managed to miss the peak of that so this may not be a factor for you.

If you are into motion gaming and/or speech recognition then the Xbox One is probably "better" in the long term although there isn't much out yet for "next gen" motion gaming yet.

If you want your game console to control your cable box then Xbox One is "better".

If you are interested in the possibility of VR gaming then the PS4 is "better".

I went PS4 but I'm trying to be unbiased here but I'll state that in case I'm not being as unbiased as I think I am.

I'm a PC gamer first though and that's one of (but not the only) the reasons I don't support Xbox because I happen to feel Microsoft should support Windows Gaming as much as Xbox so I should be able to get the Xbox console exclusive games on Windows. If I can't then I'm not going to support MS for shafting their Windows Customers.  I just mention this because you started your post with "I am a hardcore PC gamer...".

The Wii U I'd be a bit weary of just because it's coming in last despite the fact it came out a year before the PS4 and Xbox One.  I could be wrong but I feel like Nintendo is going to need to reboot it sooner rather than later.  I expect to see it's successor come out by Christmas 2016 which isn't terribly soon but when I buy a console at least I want it to be current for more than 2 years.  Again this is just a hunch I have though based off the dismal sales compared to the Xbox One and PS4 and the fact that 3rd parties have already all but abandoned the platform.

Really though it comes down to what exclusives you like the most.  It doesn't matter who has the most if they are games that don't interest you.  Also if you play multiplayer what do you and/or her friends have so you can play together.  Keep in mind though that neither the Xbox One or the PS4 are backward compatible so having a lot of friends with Xbox 360's doesn't mean get an Xbox One and likewise a lot of friends with PS3s doesn't mean get a PS4.

My daughter would enjoy games like Skyrim, etc, she's 13, so anything that is 'age appropriate'

Umm... skyrim is rated "M". :huh:

What do you mean by "objective"? They are both good when it comes to hardware and features. Just look at the available and upcoming games for each and decide for yourself.

I disagree with some of the ESRB ratings, The Sims series is rated Teen, but Skyrim is Mature, I've played both and disagree with both of the ratings, that being said, I was hoping that I could get a feel for which system was better, but now realize that is not something that is going to happen. Also despite my daughters physical age, she is much more mature in some areas then children her same age, and my wife and I both have no problem letting her play games that might be rated above Teen level. So thank you for the input and advice.

I was hoping that I could get a feel for which system was better, but now realize that is not something that is going to happen.

They're frighteningly similar.  Despite some insistence that one is better than the other, you're better off looking at the exclusives and deciding for yourself.  PS4 has better graphical capabilities, X1 has a better CPU and network/server offloading capabilities.

I imagine many of the Asian publishers are going to stick with the PS4 at first if that matters, but I doubt much else will have an impact on your decision.

As far as Wii U, I haven't touched a Nintendo console since the NES so don't look at me.

I would say, having a PC and Wii U, that this is my preferred combination, as the more serious games I play on my PC and I use my Wii U when I want to plonk onto the sofa and just have fun.

The Wii U library is far improved compared to a year ago, and if you took a look at it now it's almost a completely different product, you have the likes of Smash, Mario Kart and a bunch of other releases as well which are either just coming up or in 2015 (which is also looking like a stellar year). The only issue with its numbers is that it did not have a strong starting lineup, and no real system seller at the time. This has meant that the initial hype around the new console launch dissipated fast, and those which would have got caught up in it have been lost.

Plus, local multiplayer is always 10/10 on Nintendo consoles.

Decide based on the types of games you want to play. Is there a must get title that is only on the PS4 or is your favorite genre 3d shooters where the Xbox seems to shine? How about Nintendo titles? I always say make your purchased based on the games rather than the hardware or FPS.

Edit* Here is an idea, how about a new Wii U and a cheap (new or used) Xbox 360? That would probably get you access to most of the gaming content out there. 

Wii U.  Except for exclusives like Uncharted and Halo, most PS4/XB1 AAA and indie games are coming to PC. Action and FPS IMO are best on PC anyway. 

However Nintendo games stay on the Wii U - you'll never get them on PC. And more so than the AAA FPS games, etc - you can actually play them with your daughter. (This being said, I'm not quite sure if your daughter actually wants to play for instance Super Smash Bros with/against you) 

If you really? wanted a particular game, you wouldn't be here asking - you'd just get the appropriate console. However in general, I think if you want a family console - Wii U. If you want an indie + AAA console: PS4. If you want an action + FPS console: Xbox. 

• Like 3