Advice on the best Remote PC Software

Question

I'm going away for the Christmas holidays and I'm taking my laptop with me but I need the ability to control my Desktop PC which is locate at home.

Can anyone advise me on the best Remote PC software to install and use.

Thanks in advance

"be default it's not setup for "unattended""

It is if you install that one..

http://www.teamviewer.com/hi/download/windows.aspx

post-14624-0-55554300-1419178732.png

Or you click a checkmark when doing the full install

post-14624-0-29086300-1419178902.png

It literally is click click and ready to go.. You don't even have to create an account if you don't want.. Just a password, it then gives you an ID to use

post-14624-0-38240400-1419179264.png

This is so drop dead stupid that anyone can do it, nothing to do on firewall, no accounts to even create if you don't want too.. Click Click unattended is up and running and you can access from anywhere.. Where you got the idea that this was hard not possible or a PITA to setup I have no idea - maybe you just have not played with it, or its been since like version 1 or something.. I would really suggest you give the current version a test, its idiot proof ;)

For meraki remote access I Need vnc, or java.. And the port is quite possible could be blocked from where your at (60000).. While TV only needs SSL..

post-14624-0-35320500-1419179908.png

Not saying this software is not slick - I plan on having some fun with it for sure, and adding to my toolbelt.. But sorry it is just over the top for normal user remote access.. But thanks for bringing it up!!

• Like 2

I still prefer MSM to this TV wasn't very good on some of my systems as well as being more clunky.

while MSM is free to corp and personal use, You're free to use ANY VNC client and you are more in control and not forced to use viewer you might not like. I can use ANY VNC client I want with MSM.

I also use mine commercially so I legally can't use TV unless it's only for personal systems.

I also use mine commercially so I legally can't use TV unless it's only for personal systems.

I tried MSM a bit today, and I can't stand it personally

1: No easy way to deploy with any type of remote management console over a LAN, only options are via GPO which I don't want to do, run client manually on 100 systems, or run psexec/msiexec through one of my existing utilities to deploy it

2: Remote access is via VNC, sucks. Default web client requires Java installed, 3rd party client's don't recognize vnc:// by default so you have to setup a registry hack to enable that link so you can click it or else you are copying and pasting address, username/password

So I am sticking with the following items for these things

1: TeamViewer - Remote access to PC's not on my corporate VPN or on a seperate non-linked LAN

2: Pulseway - Monitoring of specs/remote reboots, wakes, alerts etc of specific servers

3: Remote Desktop - to remote into corporate VPN connected systems for exclusive control

4: Netmonitor for Employees Professional - See all screens for corporate connected LAN/VPN clients at once, and be able to right click and remote control instantly over LAN/VPN.

Sucks how it didn't work out for you tho :( meh. I love it and it works the best of all em for me.

2: Remote access is via VNC, sucks. Default web client requires Java installed, 3rd party client's don't recognize vnc:// by default so you have to setup a registry hack to enable that link so you can click it or else you are copying and pasting address, username/password

That's always the problem with Cisco products, their symbiotic relationship with Java.

Remixedcat, your view of teamviewer is highly inaccurate. Meraki doesn't work in every browser and sometimes requires additional configuration when remotting into systems. Cad.exe sometimes does not get loaded, this is what allows control alt del to be sent to the client. It is a very hokey system imo.

Even after many years dameware is still on of my favorites and their drs has the ability to offer remote support to off site users that aren't vpn'd in or are part of your network, similar to logmein rescue.

Umm I can use any android or windows vnc client....

Nothing limiting and most clients can send cntl alt del.

Oh and i only had to install the endpoint and then plug a URL and password into tight vnc and I got control.

What's so hard about that??

nothing, I have meraki installed it on a server, try to send ctrl alt del and it doesn't send.   try with a standalone vnc client and it also doesn't send.  when I look up the issue, it has to do with cad.exe possibly not being there or not installed in the right directory.

realvnc and tightvnc doesn't work, the integrated browser version doesn't work either. can't send ctrl alt del with any of them.  doesn't matter because I can vpn in and connect through remote desktop. 

Teamviewer is really good. Keeps improving with each new release. A couple of new free teamviewer clones are 'Supremo' and 'Anydesk'. Both use the ID number and password method. Anydesk still has a ways to go and was a little slow working on the remote screen.

Microsoft's own RDP is great. Best if the computer being connected to has a static IP, but you can get a domain name to follow the changing IP address if required.

remixedcat.

Does the PC agent that runs on the workstations self-update? If not, do they ever issue updates to the client and if so how are they deployed.

I think they do. Meraki is all cloud based so I imagine so...

We use Meraki switching and APs at work and have little if any downtime, so not sure why you're getting that error. I would say it's an isolated incident.

That being said, I use Teamviewer for remote support for the most part. ZENworks has a VNC client built-in, so we use that on local network.