The Great Modern UI Debate Thread

171 members have voted

1. 1. Would you keep The Modern UI and UX in Windows 10?

• Yes
    • No

I personally like the round one... in the start. its small and separates the user from the rest of the tiles but on the login screen, no way its way too big and ugly. so imo I don't mind MS keeping it as long as they implement it correctly.

I personally like the round one... in the start. its small and separates the user from the rest of the tiles but on the login screen, no way its way too big and ugly. so imo I don't mind MS keeping it as long as they implement it correctly.

But then it would be inconsistent.

Windows 10 on tablets is removing the desktop legacy, theoretically freeing up storage space.

Even though the install footprint is really not that much smaller? yeah, righto.

You honestly can't compare the size of a desktop OS to one that was designed for a phone, that's just silly. Of course it's going to be smaller. The modern stuff doesn't even enter into it, pick an older version of Windows, or hell another desktop entirely like KDE or something.

You can when it's being used on a tablet. It doesn't matter how you excuse it, the result is the same, it consumes a LOT of install space which is at a premium on most tablets. The desktop isn't even available on some Windows tablets and it still carries the extra baggage with it.

Even though the install footprint is really not that much smaller? yeah, righto.

You can when it's being used on a tablet. It doesn't matter how you excuse it, the result is the same, it consumes a LOT of install space which is at a premium on most tablets. The desktop isn't even available on some Windows tablets and it still carries the extra baggage with it.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/03/16/how-windows-10-achieves-its-compact-footprint/

It's not like MS is not working on it.

Can you name me one tablet at the moment that doesn't include the desktop?

Guys, this is the place to argue whether Windows 7 is skeuomorphic or not, it is and live tiles are not. Debate refueled. :laugh:

Guys, this is the place to argue whether Windows 7 is skeuomorphic or not, it is and live tiles are not. Debate refueled. :laugh:

aero_peek.png

Not skeuomorphic!

12.09.11-Skeuo-5.jpg

Still not skeuomorphic!

Redstair_GEARcompressor.png

Definitely not skeuomorphic!

Windows-8-1-Update-1-Leaked-Start-Screen

Skeuomorphic!

:rolleyes: Sometimes, I wonder where we get such special users.

New Windows 10 build = updated mockup:

Explorer_Custom_Dark_Blue.png?psid=1

Wow, Great. MSFT should hire UI designers like you. :)

I think I finally found a design I like for a modern Windows Explorer. After creating the last mockup with the full Ribbon, I felt like the design was kludgy at best, and didn't really fit in with Windows 10 design (so far). The UI felt too cluttered for my tastes, despite my actual liking of the Ribbon interface. So, I set about cleaning up the design a bit.

I have to say, I know how tough a UX designer's job actually is. When I'm playing around with these mockups, I keep thinking about how to strike a balance between a easy to use and understand UI, a functional UI, and how that relates to both power users and regular users alike. Heh. Hopefully, with this design I was able to strike that balance.

Explorer_Custom_Light_Blue.png?psid=1

Modern%20Windows%20Explorer%202.png?psid

Modern%20Windows%20Explorer%203.png?psid

Modern%20Windows%20Explorer%204.png?psid

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I think I finally found a design I like for a modern Windows Explorer. After creating the last mockup with the full Ribbon, I felt like the design was kludgy at best, and didn't really fit in with Windows 10 design (so far). The UI felt too cluttered for my tastes, despite my actual liking of the Ribbon interface. So, I set about cleaning up the design a bit.

I have to say, I know how tough a UX designer's job actually is. When I'm playing around with these mockups, I keep thinking about how to strike a balance between a easy to use and understand UI, a functional UI, and how that relates to both power users and regular users alike. Heh. Hopefully, with this design I was able to strike that balance.

Explorer_Custom_Light_Blue.png?psid=1

Modern%20Windows%20Explorer%202.png?psid

Modern%20Windows%20Explorer%203.png?psid

Modern%20Windows%20Explorer%204.png?psid

See.. Now that doesn't look half bad.

Sorry, Dot, but Microsoft are moving away from:

DOhvzl4.jpg

in their software. It's gone in Office 2016 preview and also I believe off by default in VS2015.

Not a fan of the 3 dots. They don't make any sense. Arrows are better.

• 2 weeks later...

Hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger!

Introducing the Windows 10 ready Explorer, and Surface keyboard! :woot:

Explorer_Custom_Light_Blue_Joke.png?psid

Win10Keyboard.png?psid=1

Hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger, hamburger!

Introducing the Windows 10 ready Explorer, and Surface keyboard! :woot:

Explorer_Custom_Light_Blue_Joke.png?psid

Well this looks great, I really wish Microsoft would create something like this.

But seeing as Microsoft hasn't dropped a single hint that they are in fact working on a revised UI for explorer, I doubt that they're gonna change it drasticly.

Which really is a shame, but if they were gonna make a modern UI for explorer, wouldn't they have shown it by now?

Where is it?

You know, I'm not so sure, but someone took a screenshot on twitter.

Well this looks great, I really wish Microsoft would create something like this.

But seeing as Microsoft hasn't dropped a single hint that they are in fact working on a revised UI for explorer, I doubt that they're gonna change it drasticly.

Which really is a shame, but if they were gonna make a modern UI for explorer, wouldn't they have shown it by now?

Maybe there saving it for Build. They have to hold *something* back so it can be exciting. :/