Windows 10 and aero glass for desktop

apparently, we desktop users of windows 10 will be able to have Aero glass in the near future and for the windows 10 release

http://microsoft-news.com/aero-glass-theme-will-be-coming-to-windows-10-as-well/

rsz_win10.jpg

Aero Glass Theme Will Be Coming To Windows 10 As Well

Microsoft introduced Windows Aero as the premium visual experience in Windows Vista. It featured a translucent glass design with subtle window animations and new window colors. Microsoft cited the following as the main features of Aero theme,

• Aero

As long as it's an optional. Didn't much care for it in Vista and hasn't grown on me over the years, all my 7 themes don't have any glass on them as well. Happy for those that like this sort of thing though.

This refers to a third party library [DWMGlass.dll] that you cannot even buy. It's nagware and puts a watermark on your desktop unless you "donate" an unspecified amount to get a key. The author then randomly decides to give some donors a license for the full version and deny others. And if he gives you a license, you will have to play "donation lottery" again and hope you get a new one if you change your OS hard-drive, if you reinstall Windows, or if you change the motherboard. 

I've heard that if you "donate" more than 200 Euro you have a 100% certainty of getting ONE license for ONE OS install. 

Unregistered version randomly pops up a nag box that minimizes all your windows and steals focus from the active window you were on - including a full screen game. 

Also a large watermark on the desktop that sometimes overlays over other programs. 

I'm still holding onto hope that there will be an OFFICIAL implementation by Microsoft. 

• Like 2

This refers to a third party library [DWMGlass.dll] that you cannot even buy. It's nagware and puts a watermark on your desktop unless you "donate" an unspecified amount to get a key. The author then randomly decides to give some donors a license for the full version and deny others. And if he gives you a license, you will have to play "donation lottery" again and hope you get a new one if you change your OS hard-drive, if you reinstall Windows, or if you change the motherboard. 

I've heard that if you "donate" more than 200 Euro you have a 100% certainty of getting ONE license for ONE OS install. 

Unregistered version randomly pops up a nag box that minimizes all your windows and steals focus from the active window you were on - including a full screen game. 

Also a large watermark on the desktop that sometimes overlays over other programs. 

I'm still holding onto hope that there will be an OFFICIAL implementation by Microsoft. 

Thanks for clarifying this I found MSFT is possibly with enough people asking for Aero will do it themselves as you can read here -> http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-microsoft-hints-aero-glass-return-only-if-you-vote-it

It's one licence per dollar donated. Everyone that donates the minimum of a dollar gets a license. The license is tied to the HDD, so you won't need a new license for reinstalling the OS or replacing the motherboard.

I agree the nagging to "donate" is annoying, and his calling it a donation is a bit offputting when in practice it's really just purchasing a license to use it. But you definitely don't need to pay anywhere near $200 Euro's. Throw in $10 or so and you should have plenty of licenses to last awhile. That should be plenty to last awhile.

I dislike the author too, but the tool is great and it's certainly not anything remotely near $200 euros. It's cheap, and works very well.

freeware with no nags/ads or is it nag/adware?

The guy won't be straight about it at all. Will be publically available when Windows 10 hits RTM could mean anything.

It's also NOT THE GLASS EFFECT. Anyone who has ever used Windows Vista or 7 can clearly see how that is NOT Aero Glass. It's basic transparency with a blur. Aero Glass was more than that. Don't say that's true Aero Glass because you're proving you don't know what you're talking about. Really sick of the guy saying it's the true Aero Glass when it's not. Well, if it is then how much of this app is actually his work? Sounds to me it would be put together using work done at Microsoft and then he charged people or it.

It's also definitely NOT a favorite among tech enthusiasts LMAO. The guy is shady when asking for donations to get access to a nag-free version. Then when people donated he said that some weren't donating enough for the access when he never gave a set amount. People donated more and he still denied them access and when asked exactly how much people should donate, he constantly gave different answers. All of which NEVER gave a set amount then he acted like he never had a donation system at all as if people made it all up. Don't even get me started on the fact that it wouldn't work without a symbols file downloaded from MICROSOFT'S servers. Think about that. He got money out of people for an app that didn't work without a file that had to be downloaded from Microsoft.

/end rant. This will be my final words on this "BigMuscle".....LMAO

• Like 3

I can't quite say if it is a 3rd party app that will do this or an official Microsoft feature. either way...

OK, not sure if i'm missing something, but isn't that article just a big advert for a third party aeroglass program?

Edit: Just saw DeusProto's post here, yes it is.

OK, not sure if i'm missing something, but isn't that article just a big advert for a third party aeroglass program?

Yup. It's really time for people to move on. I mean, the implementation here doesn't even look good.

Yup. It's really time for people to move on. I mean, the implementation here doesn't even look good.

Agreed. It's just colorless and blurred. Looks ... wrong.

Gabe Aul posted an update about Aero Glass a few days ago:

Nice catch. Totally missed that and I've been looking at his feed several times a day lol.

That makes me feel a lot better about its prospects.

Glass would be nice for visual appearances.  I actually like it on Windows 7 and makes the OS look better.  But they need to concentrate on a few other areas and leave visual effects as one of the last things.