Let's Make This Clear: Windows 10 is NOT A SUBSCRIPTION [Rant]

It came to my knowledge recently that a lot of people are thinking Windows 10 will only be free for one year, then you have to pay for the following years.

• I believe this thinking came from Windows "365" here: https://www.neowin.net/news/rumors-of-windows-365-pop-up-thanks-to-neowin-reader
  • Windows 10 will be free to download for a full year
  • exception of this is enterprise users (which operate separately anyways)
  • Once downloaded, you can keep Windows 10 forever (given that your PC runs "forever")
  • There is no annual, monthly license 
  • Windows 10 is not just holographic, it contains other improvements

If you see anyone giving out false information, please correct them on any news site, comment section, in any conversation, messaging, and social media thread. The media has skewed the public's perception of Windows, we can not let them win. Analysts and general news reporter (like BGR and Yahoo!) are not Microsoft specialized and all they care about is the number of clicks on their articles. Neowin, Windows Central, WinBeta, Thurrott.com, and allaboutmicrosoft.com are good sources. Thurrott, MJF, and Brad are reliable Microsoft reporters, they cover Microsoft for a living.

Warning click bait ahead:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/windows-10-won-t-free-might-hoped-163531271.html

thexrayboy said:

I would be absolutely amazed if Microsoft really "gives away" Windows10 to home users.

Jesse2013 said:

Microsoft needs to keep in mind - those who have several hundred computers to manage need to be able to find all those features they need without hunting for them. With XP techs knew exactly where all those features were located. 

Dan B said:

At the end of the 1 year trial period, you won't be able to revert back to your previous operating system. You have to pay up for Win 10 or shut down your operation. I haven't heard or read anything about being able to revert back to a previous operating system without doing a complete system restore.

Michael said:

Windows 10 won't be free for people upgrading from W7/W8.1 even if they're non-enterprise. The 'free' upgrade is for the first year. After that, you gotta pay to keep it. Garbage.

Wun001001 said:

There will be NO SOFTWARE SUBSCRIPTION for me on my personal home PC; however, I'll most likely "swipe" an Enterprise copy from work & run it at home. If that doesn't work due to some "new & improved" Micro$oft activation technology (WAT); I'm pretty sure there will be a hack to get around it.

If not, I'll move to a different OS - PERIOD!

I WILL NOT PAY A SUBSCRIPTION FEE TO M$ for an O$!!!

john said:

It wont be "free" for anyone. Do you really think you can get something for nothing? Like FaceBook and other "free" services, you will be the product. Microsoft will have a way to track and store data about your computer usage. 

• I'm sure the Enterprise version they will strip the mining functions, hence the price tag. No company would allow the free version and would not adopt windows 10 unless the mining features were stripped.

jim said:

Why do I not trust Microsoft? My Windows 7 works just fine, thank you very much.

Timothy said:

Well that did it, I need two new PC's and Mac it will be for us. Skeeru Microsoft

dallas said:

You get the software free but have to pay subscription fees and or subject to no privacy.

Thomas said:

No! Win10 won't be free? OK, where are all those idiots that slammed me the LAST time this came up, and I replied? Do you think Gates got his money by giving everything away? You can take 10, with its useless 3D, slightly revamped control-screen and stick it.

Wizard said:

8.1 stinks , still on the fence whether to return a high end touch enabled laptop & go for a mac once and for all. The operating system is a joke. Trying to turn a computer into some defacto ipad smacks of clueless management. The same management that bought you that atrocious xBox 1 with all it&# 39;s DRM restrictions & the various buffoonery M$FT back peddled on. PS what's the 'zune' worth these days ?

Mack22 said:

Well...why would I upgrade from working windows 7 after the catastrophic performance of Win ME, Vista, and Win 8. That doesn't make any sense, forget about the other cents.

etc. etc...

Does this count as a real world issue now?

My question is... what will a "full" or "retail" copy of Windows 10 cost later this year?

Windows 8.1 Full Version is currently $104 on Amazon at the moment.

Do you think Windows 10 be similarly priced? Or will Microsoft surprise us?

Ian S. - Note the comment from "Wizard" in your quote; that poster sounds like a lot of the "priests" that have been hanging out in this subforum (Microsoft Beta).  Basically it is "How dare things change!"  The opinion of Windows 8+ smacks of it.  Has the poster even used desktop applications in it?  (The vast majority of anti-8 rants are about the Start menu being gone - if you absolutely need to have one, there are third-party alternatives galore - and most of them are free.  I took all except three desktop applications - and ALL of my games - with me from 7.  The three applications (two being utilities) got "fired" due to features being in the core OS that made all three moot.  Not a single desktop application or game got bounced due to compatibility issues - at all.  And I'm not using one of the many third-party Start menu bringbacks, either.  Therefore, so much for the desktop-application-usability issue.)

They can't complain about usability - or even performance - so they "moved the goalposts".

They remind me of so many political pundits.

• Like 2

Excellent my friend asked me this very question last night. I didn't honestly know the answer so I can just show her this thread now :)

My question is for those of us running Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise, does that update to Windows 10 Professional final or what?
I just want to make sure im running the correct version before it goes final.

Excellent my friend asked me this very question last night. I didn't honestly know the answer so I can just show her this thread now :)

My question is for those of us running Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise, does that update to Windows 10 Professional final or what?

I just want to make sure im running the correct version before it goes final.

It would update to Windows 10 Enterprise.

This is a serious issue, Microsoft must clear this up on their main news channels.

• Like 1

It's just sad that after all these years MS is still not able to clearly communicate a simple message. 

Free for the first year, Windows-as-a-service, that will get people confused and ######.

I understand what they meant but come on!

I don't understand why people would think that. Nothing I have read has given me that impression at all. That link doesn't work for me, but when I go to the Windows 10 page, this is what I see

Free Upgrade Offer

Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!*  And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time

I don't understand why people would think that. Nothing I have read has given me that impression at all. That link doesn't work for me, but when I go to the Windows 10 page, this is what I see

I don't know why they felt they needed to say they will keep it up to date, perhaps that is why everyone is saying they are confused. Personally I think people are just being deliberately obtuse.

Like I said, I believe this idea stemmed from the media and twitter coverage.

Honestly why bother?  People can wait a few months for the rest of the information.  I'm guessing they have something different up their sleeve or they would just come out and say it.

Honestly why bother?  People can wait a few months for the rest of the information.  I'm guessing they have something different up their sleeve or they would just come out and say it.

People like you do not help Microsoft's cause, up to you ... you don't have to do anything.

People like you do not help Microsoft's cause, up to you ... you don't have to do anything.

Right, how should I help Microsoft's cause?  I don't work for Microsoft.  They can do whatever they like.

And if it turned out to be a subscription model then what? How does a subscription model for windows, compared to Office be so much worse? MS has a bad reputation with consumers, developers and companies all round in the same tech markets. Look at companies hating on windows 8, look at how developers don't developemnt for Windows phone or for metro platform and look at all the hostility. Honestly, There is a very strategic reason why Windows 10 is free, its not "goodwill" to consumers from their behalve, rather a full 360 flip flop to appear like they care. Windows 10 will be a free upgrade to push bing as search engine, regain lost comfidence from consumers, to bribe the rationale consumer and lastly to collect data on you!

Also since MS fired 25k of their employees last year in 2014, lots of those developers were part of the QC programme that would test test software quality before it got pushed to windows update, now that development department is tiny fraction of the number.. Since windows 10 will be a rolling release, consumers will be the testers, we are going to be guinea pigs, who will test features, which is a complete outrage.

The way I see it (and I hope I'm correct) Microsoft is moving to a model where the revenue from Windows 10 will come from the Store for paid apps and to subscriptions to particular services (not Windows 10, but Office etc) that can be included in Windows.

So some will ultimately end up paying hundred of dollars, and others much less or nothing.

This is a serious issue, Microsoft must clear this up on their main news channels.

Agreed. I personally think it's obvious that it's not going to be a subscription service, but unfortunately the world is full of people who, erm, are fools, to put it politely.

And if it turned out to be a subscription model then what? How does a subscription model for windows, compared to Office be so much worse? MS has a bad reputation with consumers, developers and companies all round in the same tech markets. Look at companies hating on windows 8, look at how developers don't developemnt for Windows phone or for metro platform and look at all the hostility. Honestly, There is a very strategic reason why Windows 10 is free, its not "goodwill" to consumers from their behalve, rather a full 360 flip flop to appear like they care. Windows 10 will be a free upgrade to push bing as search engine, regain lost comfidence from consumers, to bribe the rationale consumer and lastly to collect data on you!

Also since MS fired 25k of their employees last year in 2014, lots of those developers were part of the QC programme that would test test software quality before it got pushed to windows update, now that development department is tiny fraction of the number.. Since windows 10 will be a rolling release, consumers will be the testers, we are going to be guinea pigs, who will test features, which is a complete outrage.

The way I see it (and I hope I'm correct) Microsoft is moving to a model where the revenue from Windows 10 will come from the Store for paid apps and to subscriptions to particular services (not Windows 10, but Office etc) that can be included in Windows.

So some will ultimately end up paying hundred of dollars, and others much less or nothing.

And at the end, Windows is being truly loss leader.

they already made it very clear in the blog post immediately following the event,like whats written on the about page posted above..

Today was a monumental day for us on the Windows team because we shared our desire to redefine the relationship we have with you

• Like 1

Steven, guess we'll be hearing something more later, ATM I couldn't say anything about the mechanism, release name, etc, or even if it would come out after all. Here's a QQ msg I got last month.  :)

rw3rI4h.jpg

Btw, no comment on OP's post, if people thought that the "free for the first year" implies about win365, it's their own thought, I just couldn't care less.

Gabe Aul has also made it clear on Twitter that it only applies to upgrades and in the first year, and that pricing for the full standalone version isn't known yet.

I must admit a way a lot of news sites reported: "Windows 10 free for the first year" give me the impression you essentially got a free one year subscription. After doing my own research i soon understood that upgrades would be totally free for the first year, so i can certainly understand why the average person might be a bit confused about the announcement.