Smoking

Fair point, although I wouldn't classify an addiction as you enjoy. It's more that you feel the need to do it because that's just how the human body seems to work. Not that it matters what it's considered as it doesn't really have any sort-of impact here.

I haven't smoked in a long time. Tens of times longer than the physical addiction and I tell you I still miss it every day. It is most definitely enjoyable. Outside of that, I can tell you that what finally got me to quit was the pressure from peers and coworkers as well as the pressure my doctor put on me. Months after I finally quit I've felt better in ways I never thought possible and now I could never go back to it, its a terrible habit that would have ruined my health.

I smoked for 34 years before I was finally willing to quit due some health issues directly related to smoking.  Before that I loved smoking, I enjoyed the break.  When I lived by myself I smoked indoors and always with ventilation, but even then smoke still lingered throughout the house.  When I began sharing my home with another I went outside to smoke, no matter the weather!  In public, I would smoke wherever I chose unless it was posted otherwise. I tried very hard to respect others wishes to not be exposed to my second hand smoke.

I was certainly addicted to smoking, but over the years of use several things happened -

1. shortness of breath, even with exercise it was a reality

2. a decline of the senses of smell and taste (aging adds to that also, but smoking can accelerate it)

3. a nagging and noticeable wheezing when I would lie down to sleep (it would drive me crazy!)

4. occasional coughing fits and the nasty stuff I coughed up (ugh)

5. noticing that fewer people were smoking and sometimes feeling like I was "standing out" especially when I lived in California

6. the number of places you could smoke was in serious decline (I could, at one time, actually smoke in the office!)

7. cost - when I started smoking a pack of Marlboros cost $.35, a carton $2.70, now a pack cost $4.97, a carton $49.00

The reasons are too numerous to list, but because of the above I was finally willing to quit and I succeeded, I became a nonsmoker on Feb 3, 2007!  One of the best decisions I have ever made for myself.  But even after all these years and the fact that my health has greatly improved, along with the financial savings, etc., I still get very strong urges to have a smoke.

• Like 2

I haven't smoked in a long time. Tens of times longer than the physical addiction and I tell you I still miss it every day. It is most definitely enjoyable. Outside of that, I can tell you that what finally got me to quit was the pressure from peers and coworkers as well as the pressure my doctor put on me. Months after I finally quit I've felt better in ways I never thought possible and now I could never go back to it, its a terrible habit that would have ruined my health.

Well most addictions end up being not enjoyable. I'm curious, what makes this one any different? :huh:

Well most addictions end up being not enjoyable. I'm curious, what makes this one any different? :huh:

It's documented ability to make people not partaking in the addiction ill, in both the long and short term. That smoke travels, and hangs around. See upthread.

The smoking was never not enjoyable, some of the side effects on my health certainly where terrible and the benefits to my health outweighed the the joy smoking gave me so I did the responsible and right thing and gave it up.

The smoking was never not enjoyable, some of the side effects on my health certainly where terrible and the benefits to my health outweighed the the joy smoking gave me so I did the responsible and right thing and gave it up.

OK then, why did you personally consider it enjoyable?

OK then, why did you personally consider it enjoyable?

Oral fixation, and the fix of that first drag feels amazing even looking back. I am very well aware that the smoking caused allot of the stress that that drag solved). The closest thing I have found to feeling the same way is that feeling after a mile jog and you get the runners high (which took 8 months to appreciate with encouragement from peers before I finally had it).

Oral fixation, and the fix of that first drag feels amazing even looking back. I am very well aware that the smoking caused allot of the stress that that drag solved). The closest thing I have found to feeling the same way is that feeling after a mile jog and you get the runners high (which took 8 months to appreciate with encouragement from peers before I finally had it).

Ah, OK. :)

Well that's about all my questions answered. I'll stop bugging you now.