Who thinks the new "macbook" is the.....

Yes, did I misspell or something?  I've NEVER, EVER once connected an SD card or a thumb drive to my laptop.  I've also never connected my laptop to an external monitor and all my backup data is in the cloud so I don't own an external hard drive.  And I can't remember last time I had to do something that involved a physical disk.  So in my case, I don't need the vast majority of unnecessary ports on most laptops and if I actually didn't like my netbook so much I'd be buying this Macbook.  PS;  I'm willing to be there's a lot of people like me out there...

I think Apple got the form factor right but they went crazy on removing all ports except that one USB-C. They could have easily integrated the $79 adapter into the power brick (like the Surface USB port on brick thing).

I think you are underestimating need for USB port, you may need one to charge your phone for example while you are also charging your laptop. This is pretty common scenario for anyone travelling, which is the target audience for this form factor.

I would never buy this device but I can't see any benefits of this over an air for example except that it is really thin?

I also think the $79 comes across as a desperate money grab when Apple is already charging premium for it.

• Like 2

This laptop will move mountains in the education sector though. Teachers and students will LOVE it. It will heavily appeal to people who need a computer to work on but need to lug it around everywhere they go (i.e. weight and size is an issue). Lack of ports is of no consequence to these people as they either use the cloud or other online services to access their work/resources. I'm not a big fan of the new MacBook personally but I'm the type of person stuck in the past still using USB devices and whatnot, however, I'm not the target demographic for this device. Apple know what they are doing and this MacBook will sell very well. People will hate on it but that is to be expected.

Honestly, these are just sour grapes.

I don't like OS X and won't be buying the new MacBook, but I have to admit that Apple has made something appealing esp. to people who need to carry around a laptop all day and need something light and portable.

I do think that the Surface Pro 3 with touchscreen and active pen is a better device, but I am not going to knock the new MacBook for that reason.

This laptop will move mountains in the education sector though. Teachers and students will LOVE it. It will heavily appeal to people who need a computer to work on but need to lug it around everywhere they go (i.e. weight and size is an issue). Lack of ports is of no consequence to these people as they either use the cloud or other online services to access their work/resources. I'm not a big fan of the new MacBook personally but I'm the type of person stuck in the past still using USB devices and whatnot, however, I'm not the target demographic for this device. Apple know what they are doing and this MacBook will sell very well. People will hate on it but that is to be expected.

Doubt it, in all my classes pc laptops out number macs. There's like maybe 3-4 mac users in my classes and I'm one of them. The rest are PC windows users. 3-4 mac vs 20-25 windows machine. Most students are poor so they won't speend $1300 on a portable laptop with a slower cpu and less features.

They do appeal to chicks tho, a demographic that don't need the fastest computer and many features. Good enough to check their emails.Facebook,surf  the web and use word.

Doubt it, in all my classes pc laptops out number macs. There's like maybe 3-4 mac users in my classes and I'm one of them. The rest are PC windows users. 3-4 mac vs 20-25 windows machine.

They do appeal to chicks tho, a demographic that don't do heavy lifting when it comes to work on laptops.

Complete opposite at my work (K12 School), 90%+ MacBooks and that includes staff and students (they absolutely love them, even when a new teacher starts with a PC they are usually rocking a new MacBook in matter of weeks). However, I'm more convinced it's a fashion thing than they think those laptops are actually better than Windows laptops   :unsure: that said though, MacBooks do have great battery life from what I've seen. All my PC laptops have never been able to last long between charges and if I was a teacher the much longer battery life of a MacBook would be very tempting to me. I did see one student with a Surface though, thought that was cool :laugh: I don't know how it is like in other countries but from my own personal experience and what I've heard from other Aussie schools, the MacBook is definitely the flavour of the month here.

I like some things on the new MacBook. I was thinking of getting one, but then I decided to buy a refurbished MacBook Air.

What the new MacBook with the Intel-M does put to rest is the BS rumour going around that Apple is going to move to their own ARM designs - a rumour that I'm sure some idiot will resurrect based on a flawed understanding of micro-processor design claiming that ARM has some magical pixie dust.

As for the lack of ports, what surprises me firstly is the fact they got rid of Magsafe, unless their argument is that people will need to recharge less often therefore less likely to use the cable ergo less likely to need Magsafe. The second one is possibly their argument is cloud storage is the future which I can understand but when you're giving your customer 5GB of storage and trying to push customers files into the cloud then they need to firstly provide more storage and secondly provide a way for a person to shares their file once uploaded because as far as I know there is no way to click on a file and share it then provide a link to a the receiving party.

I really do like the idea behind the new macbook and I quite like the design. The only thing I have with it is that its designed for a certain type of user... And I have a feeling the vast majority of those users would suffice with a Chromebook that costs less than a quarter of the price.

The irony would be the die hard Mac fans saying how limited Chromebooks are.

• Like 2

Your average laptop user probably only ever plugs a charger in to their laptop (going by how non techy friends / family use laptops). The user base this laptop is aimed at would never want to plug a Logitech unifying receiver, usb wireless dongle or much else in to it.

The new Macbook has Wireless ac and Bluetooth 4.0, so even presuming your average user wanted to use a mouse, charge the laptop and be connected to the internet that is possible at the same time.

Personally I wouldn't buy it, however that's not to say I dont think it looks nice. I'd also want at least one more USB C port. I wouldn't say this Macbook is aimed at me though, it's not like this is the only laptop Apple do.

who here thinks the new "macbook" is the crocs of the laptop world?

it's tacky, only has one port, appeals to a target market that has more money than style or sense, and is slower than my cheap laptop or 99 dollar best buy tablet.

There is a new Macbook?! .. Didn't know they still made these.  :rofl:

I really do like the idea behind the new macbook and I quite like the design. The only thing I have with it is that its designed for a certain type of user... And I have a feeling the vast majority of those users would suffice with a Chromebook that costs less than a quarter of the price.

The irony would be the die hard Mac fans saying how limited Chromebooks are.

I think most of the criticisms that 'Mac fanboys' would have with Chrome Books would be when the likes of the Pixel is priced at the same price point as a fully featured laptop - I know at least in my case if I'm going to hand over $1499 for a laptop I'd like to be more than a glorified web browser on a stripped down operating system. I'm not a fan of the new MacBook but at the very least you've got a laptop that is fully featured, untethered from an online service, and you can run a variety of applications. Until you can run Android Applications officially on Chrome OS the Pixel will remain a rather expensive thin client on the go.

I think it's a toy, but Apple is smart with product placing or, more precisely, they have a crazy amount of money so they can invest heavily on product placement, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this new laptop on Jimmy Fallon's show and associated with other celebrities, adding to the allure of Apple products it will effectively market this as a novelty and fashion thing, the same I think they will do with the Apple Watch.

Professionals who do real work and can afford this thing will need a much more powerful computer, unless your profession consists mainly of researching and writing, like a lawyer or a journalist, so they may be interested as long as this thing has a significant battery life advantage over the 13" MacBook Air.

For the rest, if your computing needs are just light gaming, social networks, streaming, web surfing, e-mails and reading e-books I think those people would be better off with an iPad, unless, of course, they're pretty affluent and want always the latest thing.

I'm not against Macs but this isn't my thing, however I know that both this and the Apple Watch will sell pretty well.

Your average laptop user probably only ever plugs a charger in to their laptop (going by how non techy friends / family use laptops). The user base this laptop is aimed at would never want to plug a Logitech unifying receiver, usb wireless dongle or much else in to it.

The new Macbook has Wireless ac and Bluetooth 4.0, so even presuming your average user wanted to use a mouse, charge the laptop and be connected to the internet that is possible at the same time.

Personally I wouldn't buy it, however that's not to say I dont think it looks nice. I'd also want at least one more USB C port. I wouldn't say this Macbook is aimed at me though, it's not like this is the only laptop Apple do.

Still WAY overpriced for what it is and the target demo, that's the problem with it, Apple pricing is insane 

Slower than a $99 tablet?

I got a quad core intel baytrail1.3Ghz in my 99 dollar best buy tablet. and it is much faster than the one in this "macbook"

The rated battery life is only 9 hours*. far from "all day battery life". so dropping ports to "save battery" is total BS when other laptops within the same spec range that have full/more ports get the same or better.

*and you know how "rated battery life" is... that's with wifi off, display dimmed to 30%, agressive APM, minimal GPU use, and only at 30-40% CPU utilization avg.

Is that actually all that's in it? That's not much more than a Raspberry Pi board.

it's crazy to think how little actual 'computer' is in that computer...  :o

• Like 3

I got a quad core intel baytrail1.3Ghz in my 99 dollar best buy tablet. and it is much faster than the one in this "macbook"

Ive got one of the bay trail tablets too - nifty things - but unfortunately the Core M architecture is far superior to Bay Trail. Even with the reduced clock speed and half the cores, I'd bet these have much better performance. Bay Trail isn't bad... But it's far from desktop class. There's a reason Bay Trail costs around $17 a chip and Broadwell-Y around $300.

I'm quite happy with my Acer C720 with its Haswell Celeron - I easily get 9 hours out of that and only cost me

Still WAY overpriced for what it is and the target demo, that's the problem with it, Apple pricing is insane

Oh indeed I agree Apple's pricing is insane, i've always said that (especially when it comes to ram / storage upgrades). I do think this will sell though to the young professional who has no real commitments and is probably already paying