Apple Removes All American Civil War Games - Because of the Confederate Flag

What's next... the Miniseries North and South being pulled from Amazon?

Good point. That would be too far. Removing Civil War games is too far IMO. Not flying the flag publicly, sure, this no. But no one asked Apple to do this. They want to jump on the progressive bandwagon and I think they wanted in and this is the only thing they could do.

Well, I'm glad that this is happening, only because it will expose to everyone how fanatical this type of cultural politics is at its core.

Not really. People will eventually forget and in the long run, the less of it we see the better IMO. Remember, no one is demanding "this." Apple chose to do it. In politics and marketing, bad attention is better than no attention. The game can still be made and sold. Apple chose to create this headline. There is sure to be a large group of extremists who will buy more Apple because of this. It's capitalism.

IMO, the law needs changing. Showing nazi symbols in entertainment media absolutely doesn't hurt anyone, considering that in pretty much all of them, the nazis are the ones getting killed and being defeated.

Showing it for entertainment is legal, perfect example being the first and third Indiana Jones movies.

In terms of entertainment there is only one are where it's de-facto banned: games (and that one is tricky, because games are NOW recognized as art in Germany, yet nobody dared to challenge to old banning of those symbols in games since the laws were changed

I'd better hurry up and buy that Dukes of Hazzard dvd set before they get pulled too.

They have the Duke Boys in a new set of car commercials and the General Lee has no confederate flag on its roof......

The sad part in all of this: 9 people killed with a "gun", yet we start banning flags. Only in my country...

You can still go bu ya confederate flag and display it.  Certain places are not selling it anymore, sure, but no one is denying you can display one.  Pretty sure you can still display a Nazi flag but dont be surprised it people do not like it.

You can still go bu ya confederate flag and display it.  Certain places are not selling it anymore, sure, but no one is denying you can display one.  Pretty sure you can still display a Nazi flag but dont be surprised it people do not like it.

Yes Sir, I know that. I was hinting at another issue. ;-)

Pretty sure you can still display a Nazi flag but dont be surprised it people do not like it.

Funny story:

Not really.  I got lost once, while driving off the highway (that had major collision and was full of traffic, so i decided to go around, in the local roads...)

I came across a village that was pretty much full of German and NAZI flags.   They were on every door!

They turned out to be all german speaking villagers there,

and since no tourists ever went there, they were OK to Fly Nazi symbols, basically everywhere.

The whole village was like 30-40 houses...   if that.  very small...     Maybe even less, since there was basically one street.  And one restaurant and shop and gas station.

But it did feel like i was teleported to an alternative reality, to get lost there.

I come from a family where all my grandparents fought Nazies in WW2.  It was extremely weird to be friendly to folks that where flying nazi swastikas on every house....

So, we had to get some food and gas...    I was honestly glad i did not look jewish or black.... :hmmm:

I don't know if they still fly the flags...    it was 10 years ago.

But it was within 1.5 hours of Toronto, Canada.    And I was pretty surprised to see it. And it creeped the hell out of me. 

At first I thought I was on a movie set!

But, I guess no one cares what you do, if you don't do it in public sight.

ps. they had great german food, and seemed nice.   even though a nazi swastika was flying over EVERY HOUSE.

Funny story:

Not really.  I got lost once, while driving off the highway (that had major collision and was full of traffic, so i decided to go around, in the local roads...)

I came across a village that was pretty much full of German and NAZI flags.   They were on every door!

They turned out to be all german speaking villagers there,

and since no tourists ever went there, they were OK to Fly Nazi symbols, basically everywhere.

The whole village was like 30-40 houses...   if that.  very small...     Maybe even less, since there was basically one street.  And one restaurant and shop and gas station.

But it did feel like i was teleported to an alternative reality, to get lost there.

I come from a family where all my grandparents fought Nazies in WW2.  It was extremely weird to be friendly to folks that where flying nazi swastikas on every house....

We had to get some food and gas...    I was honestly glad i did not look jewish or black.... :hmmm:

I don't know if they still fly the flags...    it was 10 years ago.

but it was within 1.5 hours of Toronto Canada.    And I was pretty surprised to see it. And creeped the hell out.  At first I thought I was on a movie set!

I guess no one cares what you do, if you don't do it in public sight.

ps. they had great german food, and seemed nice.   even though a nazi swastika was flying over EVERY HOUSE.

Cool little story.  I would have been like "Nooope"...and turned around.

Cool little story.  I would have been like "Nooope"...and turned around.

Well, I was curious.    I happened to come to a few alternative reality villages, but they were usually about religion.   So to see, Nazi flags all over the place was more interesting, then dangerous.

They must have being some ex nazi immigrants kids, who live there, in peace.   I might not even be into the nazi mythology, they might have just happen to grow up in a community where it was the norm.

And without much access to outside world.... possibly.  For the young ones, it might be completely different meaning, if they grew up there without much contact with outside community.

Still, I decided not to test my theory out.  Just in case the grandpa's were out, and in a bad mood :shifty:

You, like many others, are 100% missing what he is saying.

No, I'm not. He supports banning confederate flags from benign mediums like movies, games, etc. (which can actually be considered art from other angles).

There is no evil message or hidden agenda in those. The flags are used simply for historical accuracy.

P.S. Do not misunderstand me. I do not care for the confederacy and their flags, themselves. I'm just against unnecessary censorship.

I agree that general sale of the flags, or any other item that contains the confederate flag should be removed from sale UNLESS it is for a historically accurate purpose, such as films, games, etc. In Apple's case, they've simply taken the knee-jerk reaction.

The sad part in all of this: 9 people killed with a "gun", yet we start banning flags. Only in my country...

Indeed. If you are going to ban something, ban the right thing. But this is about avoiding bad PR for companies, pandering to the "torches and pitchforks" crowd in the latest public outcry bandwagon, than anything else.

No, I'm not. He supports banning confederate flags from benign mediums like movies, games, etc. (which can actually be considered art from other angles).

There is no evil message or hidden agenda in those. The flags are used simply for historical accuracy.

P.S. Do not misunderstand me. I do not care for the confederacy and their flags, themselves. I'm just against unnecessary censorship.

They better not ban the Dukes of Hazzard then

Good move by Apple. We need these powerhouse's to make a stand on controversial issues like this. This stupid flag should have been removed from our culture long ago, and like Obama said, the history of the flag belongs in a museum. There is a bigger issue here, and it is not as trivial as it seems.

Can I ask what is your opinion on the lyrics in rap music, about glorifying killing, drug dealing, sexism etc? Should rap music be removed from American culture?

• Like 3

They better not ban the Dukes of Hazzard then

Something came through on my Facebook feed about the car used in the DOH no longer being put on public display, or something to that effect at least.