Ellen Pao Is Stepping Down as Reddit

She took over in November, so just over half a year.

(Y)

"Pao joined Reddit in 2013 and became interim CEO in November 2014 after Yishan Wong resigned."

Unless you're confessing to intentionally biased moderation, and allowing specific users to do what they want while instantly banning others for minor infractions - it's not an equivalent situation.

Ah, but there's the point from the information that I have received so far. She didn't have enough time in the position to show if what she was doing was using her bias to change the community to her liking, or if she was (possibly) influenced by her bias when prioritizing the things that needed to be done in the community. For all we know if she had stayed in the position there would have been further moderation to make everything even.

I don't think I'm biased when it comes to Neowin and the community. Are there things that I would change? Sure. But I also understand that some of those ideas will take time and work in order to put in to place if agreed upon by other staff members (I'm not in any position to make such decisions without consulting others first, nor would I want to be.)

I think she had been in the position for 2 years.

Ah! Now I have a bit of a timeline to work with. Some ideas can take a long time to come in to fruition, but if the difference between shutting down one subreddit while leaving other similar subreddits has been 2 years, I start to lose my argument. ;)

Ultimately that's my issue - time. Was she provided a fair chance and enough time in the position, or was she shunned from the get-go because the redditors (is that the right term?) liked the safety of her predecessor?

I realise I'm completely in the dark on this discussion, and learning with every post. For that reason I think I may return to this tomorrow and see if any more light can be shed on the situation for the people that don't use Reddit. (Y)

She's hated becuase she only cares about money and she's a scam artist. 

She wanted reddit watered down and censored to make more money. She's soul-less and heartless. 

she's a lawyer. they're all the same

Ah, but there's the point from the information that I have received so far. She didn't have enough time in the position to show if what she was doing was using her bias to change the community to her liking, or if she was (possibly) influenced by her bias when prioritizing the things that needed to be done in the community. For all we know if she had stayed in the position there would have been further moderation to make everything even.

The timeline is irrelevant, she stepped forward and decided to "clean up" the site by deleting "hateful subreddits", and then left the most prolific espousers of hate/harassment on Reddit alone. That's selective enforcement with a heavy indication of bias considering the ideological alignment between Pao and said subreddits.

I don't even use Reddit and I'm still familiar with the reputation said subreddits have, that's how notorious they are.

I don't doubt that she could have handled the situation better but I feel that a lot of the criticism directed as her is misogynistic, retaliation for the lawsuit she filed against her previous employer relating to gender discrimination. So many of the comments on various sites accuse her of sleeping her way to the top, of being unable to get anywhere in life without suing people. She has been demonised by the media and the online community.

Reddit has some great communities

Reddit is like Mos Eisley. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy (outside of the chans, and the deep web, of course). But, it is useful. It attracts people of all sorts, myself included. I get information, maybe a laugh or two, try to help out in the tech subs. It's okay if you watch where you step.

Problem with Reddit is, they want two mutually exclusive things. They want to be welcoming to all members regardless of who they are/how they were made. And they want to be the last bastion of hope for free speech. Problem is, they can't be both. They went after perverted subs a few years ago, but not all. A couple months ago they went after a few hate groups, but again, not all. They really need to get off the fence and declare their intentions one way or another, and stick to them.

Not even that, she banned a few reddits that ACTIVELY participated in creating and sending threats. Then she was blamed for the firing of Victoria, which I'm pretty sure has a lot more reasons behind it than what's come out since she was popular and did a good job, not someone you fire out of the blue. 

The reddit community can be full of idiots who follow the moronic leader at times.

Funny thing is, Ellen Pao didn't fire Victoria, one of the co-founders did.

Wonder why Ellen was the target of the harassment though, and not the man who actually was responsible for the firing...

Funny thing is, Ellen Pao didn't fire Victoria, one of the co-founders did.

Wonder why Ellen was the target of the harassment though, and not the man who actually was responsible for the firing...

Because that was their plan all along. kn0thing wanted to get his buddy back so they could take control of reddit and monetize it more. They also needed to fire people who would prevent them from doing so.

What they did was made Ellen their scapegoat so that reddit wouldn't see them as bad people for firing those people, get reddit angry at Ellen so the board would be convinced to fire her and put spez in her place, and once Ellen was fired, everyone who left reddit would think it was safe to come back.

Of course, this is all coming from yishan, with no other sources to confirm. So take it with a grain of salt.

https://www.reddit.com/r/announcements/comments/3djjxw/lets_talk_content_ama/ct6901q

https://www.reddit.com/r/announcements/comments/3dautm/content_policy_update_ama_thursday_july_16th_1pm/ct3n7hc

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheoryOfReddit/comments/3d2hv3/kn0thing_says_he_was_responsible_for_the_change/ct1ecxv

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/3cs78i/whats_the_best_long_con_you_ever_pulled/cszjqg2

Yeah, Yishan also said they'd get rid of all the racist content, instead they doubled down on supporting it (It's all ad free now!).

Take what he says with a grain of salt.

Yeah, Yishan also said they'd get rid of all the racist content, instead they doubled down on supporting it (It's all ad free now!).

Take what he says with a grain of salt.

Well, he was expecting for that to happen, because there wasn't anything stopping them from doing so.

But pretty much everything else isn't out of expectations but out of internal knowledge, like the stuff about Conde Nast, or that censoring the subreddits was kn0thing's idea, and public knowledge, like the fact that kn0thing didn't say he fired Victoria until a few days after.

Reddit is full of disgusting folks, across the full spectrum of sexism, racism, homophobia, body-hating, and every other kind of bigotry imaginable. Most ad companies won't touch Reddit for this reason alone. Which is part of the reason Reddit hasn't made a profit in forever.

Ellen Pao was part of a movement to clean up Reddit and make it so that it was a place to exchange ideas, WITHOUT the hate hive mind of basement-dwelling neanderthals espousing their view on why [Group X] should die. When she tried to make that happen, the scum of the internet got all riled up and acted like someone was infringing on their inalienable rights.

It's a private website, and complete 100% free speech isn't a right in such a context. Every single respectable service out there has rules against hate speech, and Reddit won't be a respectable service until that gets pushed through.

Just another 4chan pretending they're something better and more sophisticated, which at the moment, they aren't.

Reddit is full of disgusting folks, across the full spectrum of sexism, racism, homophobia, body-hating, and every other kind of bigotry imaginable. Most ad companies won't touch Reddit for this reason alone. Which is part of the reason Reddit hasn't made a profit in forever.

Ellen Pao was part of a movement to clean up Reddit and make it so that it was a place to exchange ideas, WITHOUT the hate hive mind of basement-dwelling neanderthals espousing their view on why [Group X] should die. When she tried to make that happen, the scum of the internet got all riled up and acted like someone was infringing on their inalienable rights.

It's a private website, and complete 100% free speech isn't a right in such a context. Every single respectable service out there has rules against hate speech, and Reddit won't be a respectable service until that gets pushed through.

Just another 4chan pretending they're something better and more sophisticated, which at the moment, they aren't.

You won't find disgusting or offensive content unless you specifically look for it, or are manually subscribed to it.

Ellen Pao actually resisted the censorship of reddit, as she knew that everyone would become angry about it. But the board forced her to do it.

If you actually use reddit, you'll see that it is a mostly friendly community and is very enjoyable.

It's not very hard to miss it either. There are numerous sub reddits which are dedicated to hate mongering and bigotry, either explicitly or de facto. Take a look at red pill. As just one single example among many. Or the fat people hate sub reddits. Etc etc etc.

Of course Reddit has its decent sections and folks, I wasn't saying otherwise. But you have to have some heavily rose tinted glasses to claim the disgusting garbage isn't in abundance.

It's not very hard to miss it either. There are numerous sub reddits which are dedicated to hate mongering and bigotry, either explicitly or de facto. Take a look at red pill. As just one single example among many. Or the fat people hate sub reddits. Etc etc etc.

Of course Reddit has its decent sections and folks, I wasn't saying otherwise. But you have to have some heavily rose tinted glasses to claim the disgusting garbage isn't in abundance.

It's in abundance to the same degree it's in abundance around you in the world. 

Reddit it's a direct reflection of the world for the most part. and while there's a lot of hate, there's far far far far far far more good nice and helpful reddits and discussions going on. 

what's more, the nice and helpful stuff is genuine, while the hateful stuff to a large degree is merely people acting out there ###### sides in ways that don't truly reflect them. that doesn't make it excusable, but it's the way it is. 

Should reddit be censored? perhaps, I personally don't think there needs to be a place to discuss white power, black power, fat people hate or any of this stuff, but where do you draw the line. For now the line has been drawn at direct threats and harassment. And even that caused an uproar. As much as people claim to move on, I don't think voat will see much of a permament increase anymore than reddit will see a permament decrease. at the end of the day, the tagalongs will see that they're tagging along with just the ###### and the nice people stayed behind, and they'll go back to where things actually are helpful and lighthearted. 

It's hilarious how wrong you tend to be n most of your comments are if it has nothing to do with tech, you're so blatantly biassed it went from sad to funny 

Except he's not, at all.  Anyone outside of the misogynistic circlejerks can see it.  Get out of your bubble.