"NASA Has A "Huge Announcement" To Make" 23rd of July

Surprised about the commotion to be honest... It may not even be the most earthlike planet yet. (see Kepler-438b discovered in January)

What I like most about this discovery is that it really shows how successful the Kepler mission is. No less than 4 out of 7 topping the Earth Similarity Index.

great, now send me there! Sad part is, probably not me, but my great great grand children will visit it.

if you be so lucky.  i don't think the tech will be really so soon.  

but you never know.

So if life is possible, whats to say there isn't life already?

if you be so lucky.  i don't think the tech will be really so soon.  

but you never know.

yeah :/ such is life!

It's a lot older than the earth. So this means if life form way earlier in Kepler 42-B which mean we are not the first intelligent species in the universe. Now the final barrier always comes down to how do we travel at a light speed. This is where it truly matter because that will confirm everything we found isn't wrong by visiting those planet in person.

This isn't a "huge" anything for me. Obviously they were going to find a similar sized rock orbiting a similar sized star at some point. A huge announcement would've been an alien sending us a selfie or an artificial structure on Mars.

It's a lot older than the earth. So this means if life form way earlier in Kepler 42-B which mean we are not the first intelligent species in the universe. Now the final barrier always comes down to how do we travel at a light speed. This is where it truly matter because that will confirm everything we found isn't wrong by visiting those planet in person.

Life forming earlier doesn't equate to intelligent life prior to us. Why haven't reptiles or insects evolved into intelligent species yet? They've been around longer than us.

Life forming earlier doesn't equate to intelligent life prior to us. Why haven't reptiles or insects evolved into intelligent species yet? They've been around longer than us.

They did.... They turned into us...

And nothing since from any other species. Perhaps life formed on this planet, got to a certain point and stopped.

What? Everything you see now evolved from single celled organisms. We haven't stopped evolving, Humans from 100,000 years ago aren't the same as we are now, nor will ones 100,000 years from now if we don't blow up the planet.

What? Everything you see now evolved from single celled organisms. We haven't stopped evolving, Humans from 100,000 years ago aren't the same as we are now, nor will ones 100,000 years from now if we don't blow up the planet.

I didn't mean things weren't still evolving. I was simply saying we're the only intelligent life here. This other planet might be older and have life, but that doesn't mean its become intelligent life.

** Dolphins, Apes etc. are intelligent, but aren't building cities and going into space.

IMHO......There is life out there...We are just too primitive to detect it at our present technological level.......there are many reasons, and a few are here in this video......worth watching.....An example...while walking down the road, do you stop, bend down, and try to communicate with an ant......

• Like 1

14 hundred years to get there at the speed of light, and nothing we can make can even reach that speed yet. No reason at all to be excited over this just now, lol

• Like 1

yeah, probability of colonizing mars and doing a complete mars-terraforming in the future are far higher than reaching that far away planet.

Not a chance without magnetosphere.  

i actually thing we have better chance of getting the faster then light travel down and going to a planet that is ready for us, then getting the tech to terraform a bare planet. even if it is closer-ish.

there could be a breakthrough for warp travel, but i don't think we have a tech/ money to actually change a whole planet that is currently uninhabitable.

Not a chance without magnetosphere.

A local magnetosphere can be engineered, and it takes less magnetic field strength than previously thought to deflect solar particles.

A local magnetosphere can be engineered, and it takes less magnetic field strength than previously thought to deflect solar particles.

In a lab, yes, but nothing on a global scale.  Magnetic field weakens proportionately the further away the source is.  Newer studies show that it's not only earths magnetic field that deflects solar particles but the reaction of other particles in the upper atmosphere.  And Mars doesn't have the gravity to keep those particles in the upper atmosphere.  

In a lab, yes, but nothing on a global scale. Magnetic field weakens proportionately the further away the source is. Newer studies show that it's not only earths magnetic field that deflects solar particles but the reaction of other particles in the upper atmosphere. And Mars doesn't have the gravity to keep those particles in the upper atmosphere.

You don't have to do it on a global scale, local is good enough. A combination of physical and magnetic would do. Extra points if you park over one of Mars geomagnetic hot spots.

full2.jpg

You don't have to do it on a global scale, local is good enough. A combination of physical and magnetic would do. Extra points if you park over one of Mars geomagnetic hot spots.

full2.jpg

Not if you want to terraform the surface of the planet.

Just a note....

From reading a few papers/articles...it appears that the general consensus is that it would be a waste of resources and time  to terraform Mars. The solar winds and CME magnetic fields would strip away the atmosphere and create a possible "never catch up" scenario with atmospheric replacement.....Cheers... :)

Not if you want to terraform the surface of the planet.

No one with any sense thinks that would take anything less than thousands, likely tens of thousands, of years.