Virginmedia to double broadband speeds

300Mbps down and a potential 16Mbps upload, ouch. I really hope Virgin just offer 50Mbps upload or something if download speeds are getting that fast.

Sure for free ill take 300Mbps, however it's of no real use to me! A good upload speed would benefit me loads more these days.

I can't say I actually need 300mpbs, but with 4 people in my house, all using the internet across various devices and most of them streaming rather a lot, the extra bandwidth will be very nice.  :)

• Like 3

1.5mb/sec is about the average we in Australia get lol
Everyone forgets about us *cries*

Whenever the topic of Internet speeds comes up, some Aussies always chime in looking for pity. Stop being bitter about losing the Ashes! :laugh:

• Like 3

Whenever the topic of Internet speeds comes up, some Aussies always chime in looking for pity. 

Also, all it does in the UK is rain! We need our nets!

My IP hasn't changed in about 6 years...  Just leave the SuperHub turned on, and it holds the lease permanently...

Or if the Superhub is put in modem mode you can keep the same IP address even if the Superhub is changed, providing the mac address of the router connected to the Superhub doesn't change.

Yeah but shouldn't you busy practicing skills to battle the nature that's trying to kill you?

What nature?

*cough* 

y5w3hOf.jpg

• Like 1

I'M NEVER GOING TO AUSTRALIA!!!

Thats the sort of response as to why international ISPs wont come here either to give us better internet :(

• Like 1

Thats the sort of response as to why international ISPs wont come here either to give us better internet :(

Can you blame them, with monsters like that hiding in the cable cupboards? :o

Maybe if you offered them army special forces squads for protection... ;)

• Like 2

That's the problem though. For such a tiny island with very little vast expanses, we have an incredibly inconsistent service.

An example of this is me vs my parents. My parent live more rural than me, further from a town but have fibre gearing up for them. No chance of it here as our area is still greyed out.

That's very true, I blame BT for being stupid in the 90's by not investing but the whole market needs a shakeup and I can see one happening soon. There is definitely an inconsistency with people reporting low speeds :/ I hope you all complain and get reductions and don't forget, you cannot be tied to a contract if you don't get a reasonable speed, it doesn't always help but if there is another service in your area it might be a good idea to look at switching. I don't know what I'd do if Virgin was that bad in this area.

• Like 1

My IP hasn't changed in about 6 years...  Just leave the SuperHub turned on, and it holds the lease permanently...

Yes mine only changed twice in four years but that twice would be the one time I was away and needed something. Plus I think the fibre was cheaper.

FFS, Virgin. I mean this is amazing and all, but I'd be happy if I could actually get the 50mbps I pay for. Right now on an evening, my download speed drops down to between 2-4mbps. From 50mbps!! It's been verified as over contention in the area as I've tried from both wired and wireless connections on different computers. This is nothing more than a contest to upstage the BT based technologies, but really isn't it just going to bring the network to it's knees? 

I don't know what I'd do if Virgin was that bad in this area.

Same here, Virgin offer 152meg and we get that luckily, the only other choice here would be 3meg ADSL from BT, which has been the fastest BT have been able to offer here since 2003/4 i believe.

Our local council is doing fiber to the premises for businesses in some areas now (via City Fiber http://www.cityfibre.com/), the setup fee however is £3000 (which you can get a grant for) then its £450 a month for a 1gbps connection with a 500gb usage limit. Not really suitable for home users at that price, but at least it means some sort of infrastructure could eventually be in place to give Virgin Media some competition.

They need to make sure the network can handle this as there is also a wifi sharing update coming soon which turns the Superhubs into a public hotspot.

This shouldnt reduce the home owners internet speed but it could put more strain on the network, luckily we can oped out of this though.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10/33701249-virgin-media-signals-major-wi-fi.html

For those who are complaining how this upgrade will help overutilised areas, here is a copy+paste from Virgin Media's forum:

"Apart from the down-sides of new over-selling (which has been a big problem over the last 5 years or more), without further upgrades you wouldn't get extra capacity to help your over-utilisation issues. Of course, that's a big cycle and in the worst hit areas hasn't had that much affect. However without upgrades and the associated advertising there'd be no financial incentive for VM to work on fixing your problem anyway. So a catch-22 situation. Do you want things to stay the way they are forever?

Node splits will help over time (reducing the number of users on a node), but as you've found out that takes a lot of time to engineer due to council planning permission. In the mean time higher speeds reducing time to download and distributing loads over more channels should help as a quick fix, with new modems supporting more channels. In the past people with only 6 downstream channels used to suffer high utilisation on 100-120Mb much more often than people with 8 downstream channels. 

Until now there's been that fixed bandwidth limitation brick wall of only 8 channels on the downstream (limited by the modem), with no room to expand into in over-utilised areas. When we move to 10 or more downstream channels hopefully things should ease for you. You should be egging VM on to provide these higher speeds and new modems to your area. Without them, things will only get worse much quicker.

In the interim over the last few months VM have been deploying Arris CMTS which have better load balancing, though there's only so much they can do while limited to 8 downstream channels and the fixed channel system of Docsis 3.0.

When VM move to Docsis 3.1 with higher speeds again, that'll be a game changer, as they'll have more control and flexibility in each area than they do now, able to improve things further with new software load balancing technology. With OFDM the current fixed limitation of a small number of channels will be replaced with thousands of carriers to transfer data. Those can be user-defined through software, to load balance whole areas and even individual users better."

For what it is worth...

• Like 2

Why didn't Virgin Media cross the road?

No, that's not a chicken joke, it's the sad reality that is my street. :(

I used to be on the 60Mb speed but dropped down to the 30 as I didn't need the extra speed - I'd rather pay less!
Upgraded to the 50Mb, now it's being upgraded again?!

It's a shame they don't use the extra money they get to increase their network reach area rather than just speed everyone up.  Unless you're streaming 5 HD films at once, there's really no point in all that speed.  Many users don't have the PC capacity to use it...

I get a good deal through work but when the contract is up, I'll be leaving for Sky I should think.

It's a shame they don't use the extra money they get to increase their network reach area rather than just speed everyone up.  Unless you're streaming 5 HD films at once, there's really no point in all that speed.  Many users don't have the PC capacity to use it...

There are all sorts of reasons why providers like Virgin in the UK and Verizon in the US are reluctant to expand their network. There are pros and cons to that and I am sure that users in areas that are severely congested would very much like to get the service they are paying for. Can't please everyone all at the same time.

As for the need for speed, that's really down to individual circumstances. And your comment saying "...don't have the PC capacity to use it..." shows that you are being a bit short-sighted, no offence meant, when it comes to this matter. I can't speak for others, but I find that I don't need high speed internet all the time but, when I do need internet, I want it to be fast.

Can I correct you all Copper providers like Sky uses OR infrastructure not BT who are a different company aka as BT Retail. No doubt Virgin will still have there aggressive traffic shaping at peak times still  

Virgin haven't had bandwidth caps for a while. The only thing they do is slow down P2P traffic if the network is busy during peak times (which pretty much most ISPs will do).

They have had bandwidth caps on their upload for a long time, its not just for P2P related traffic.  I can can get throttled down from a 6Mbit upload to a 2Mbit upload and have done on more than one occasion this month.  The throttling begins at different intervals depending on your base package, for me (100mbit) im allowed to upload 1.25GB within an hour, before i get my speed reduced, this equates to approx uploading at a rate of 2.7Mbit for the duration of an hour before i get hit.   I've hit this cap, using amazon s3 backups, uploading photos, uploading to youtube/twitch, it's not just P2P.

More info at - http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-thresholds.html

Can I correct you all Copper providers like Sky uses OR infrastructure not BT who are a different company aka as BT Retail. No doubt Virgin will still have there aggressive traffic shaping at peak times still  

Only if your exchange is LLU'd do Sky use their own kit. But then it's still the old BT network between exchanges, houses and cabinets.