The forums are being actively spammed hardcore right now.

When the Korean bots hit another forum I moderate, we locked everything down to "new members by invite only" after struggling to fight it for months.  Requiring mod approval to join may be necessary to keep things not crazy. :\

When the Korean bots hit another forum I moderate, we locked everything down to "new members by invite only" after struggling to fight it for months.  Requiring mod approval to join may be necessary to keep things not crazy. :\

What about banning Korean jibberish for new members?

What about banning Korean jibberish for new members?

I'm sure there must be an option to filter out topics with certain keywords, someone just needs to find out what 'enlargement pills' is in Korean :laugh:

It's right at the top of the posts, next to the "Posted X minutes ago" part.  Directly right of your member name.  I've reported several; hoping a mod comes online soon to stop it.

I do not see this.  Any ideas why?

I do not see this.  Any ideas why?

Probably because we're all used to it being next to the 'like' button from the old forum

(personal opinion, I like it where it is now, cannot accidentally click report when trying to like, and vice versa)

Probably because we're all used to it being next to the 'like' button from the old forum

(personal opinion, I like it where it is now, cannot accidentally click report when trying to like, and vice versa)

I see it now.  It's hard to read against the light theme, and I was actually looking around title for some reason...

I need to go to bed...

• Like 1

On a slightly related note,

You'd think these spamming scumbags would figure out that when mass spam is posted, users usually make a mental note to never go to that site...

With around 50 signups a day that's a big ask for the mod team.. even if it is just approving first posts. Approving first posts can also be worked around by spammers.

How would we know which is a Korean spammer just by approving the member account? :p

• Like 1

Just block Korean characters, and your spam problem will be solved.

We did that using a Google API but it also interfered with normal posts, so we had to disable it.

Google has a language check API and @Redmak created a plugin to check posts against it. But it also blocked posts with unicode in the title [ ] maybe, I don't know for sure (not a coder) :p