So, 4.0 sucks balls... we know.

I actually said this on the thread about the impending v4 upgrade (not trying to say I told you so, I was just surprised at the timing after my own testing with it)

Wow I cant believe you are going to put 4.0.11 on here, IPBv4 isnt *there* yet imo. It will be interesting to see how you get on with performance etc.

If you could capture some load graphs from before/after I would be very interested to see how you found it.

I am aware of a few sign in issues with the cache which cause you to log in multiple times before it works for example.

IPB is getting better but there are still things that need to be tweaked for VNC's replacement but hopefully they will listen and search in 4.1 is a mess right now.

I have looked at Xenforo as well but its biggest issue for me is the lack of official add ons like CMS but we are testing both right now. I know there are mods out there but they are all only as good as the guy coding it and that sadly like vbulletin mods can be variable.

Good luck with the 4.1 update, I am sure IPB will learn a lot about any issues you have hopefully.

Edited by ZeroHour

BTW for those following this topic, it looks like we will be upgrading in the last week of November. (4.1.3.2 is the current version out now).

It's a shame Xenforo is out of the question... what a masterpiece what software is.... it's so fast, lightweight yet packed with everything a forum needs and has a great community.

I actually quite like this forum though, i just find it slow in places and find the over use of ajax annoying in places.

On a side note, I can barely view the front page of the site on my iPad mini (latest gen) it locks up and is slow, button presses take ages... it's fine on my iPhone 6 and all other sites that are heavier than Neowin work fine.

BTW for those following this topic, it looks like we will be upgrading in the last week of November. (4.1.3.2 is the current version out now).

Good luck guys ... I know how much effort you guys put into making these upgrades as smooth as possible with as little downtime as you can.

It's a shame Xenforo is out of the question... what a masterpiece what software is.... it's so fast, lightweight yet packed with everything a forum needs and has a great community.

I actually quite like this forum though, i just find it slow in places and find the over use of ajax annoying in places.

On a side note, I can barely view the front page of the site on my iPad mini (latest gen) it locks up and is slow, button presses take ages... it's fine on my iPhone 6 and all other sites that are heavier than Neowin work fine.

It might be the ads. I have emailed our ad provider with a few questions regarding the amount of scripts we have to load in.

So if the only issue for moving to another forum software is lack of features, preventing a more efficient and better working and easier to manage and update software.

Make a list of what will be missing and decide "Do we really need these things". some of them can be added as addons later, but are they necessary right now ? Sometimes you just have to rip the bandaid and suffer some pain and loss for a bit for an easier life down the line. 

So if the only issue for moving to another forum software is lack of features, preventing a more efficient and better working and easier to manage and update software.

Make a list of what will be missing and decide "Do we really need these things". some of them can be added as addons later, but are they necessary right now ? Sometimes you just have to rip the bandaid and suffer some pain and loss for a bit for an easier life down the line. 

You don't know how integrated the forums are with the site. That rip of the bandaid is more like ripping a the abdomen open and having the organs fall out. It's not just a simple port. At least it wouldn't have been a few years ago. I have no idea the internals of this site anymore, but I can only imagine it's become more integrated. Look at the issues going from an older IPB version to a new version, let alone a completely different forum.

I would probably hold of till 4.1.4 comes out to be honest, there are a few annoying bugs in 4.1.3 right now:
https://community.invisionpower.com/4bugtrack/active-reports/4081-editing-posts-ads-extra-spacing-r6742/
https://community.invisionpower.com/4bugtrack/active-reports/this-site-cannot-use-search-r8864/
https://community.invisionpower.com/4bugtrack/active-reports/very-slow-queries-in-topics-for-members-big-board-r8918/

I also wish we could change the editor to single new line spacing without having to use shift :(

Well, we don't have the 'paid support' option but we definitely got it, they have also said they want to assist and be on hand for the 4.1 upgrade. We still need to restore much of the old posts (no idea how that will work, but it has to work).

Yeah again, it's the time it takes along with all the other projects, you already know that the comments system is being rebuilt from Dave's reply in this thread.. although it's looking like it will be better to just do it ourselves, yeah. Will be discussing this face-to face with a small team from Neowin in Amsterdam next week.

No, it is not needed when the 'activity stream' will finally work properly, it is essentially the same thing really! (even if we have to tweak it to do our bidding!)

We do, but testing a forum on a single web server dev environment does not equate to a multi-server setup with a ton of active users online, we are getting there though. A test upgrade has already taken  place and it went "smoothly" (devs own words) :p

Thanks for all the replies chaps. There are many basic features still broke in 4.0, no timezone settings in account controls for example, which should all get fixed with the upgrade.

I think it was for IPB3? that you made a test site an login to help get a feel for I think it was the new theme or something on handling loads? was it neowin5.net or something like that? How come you gave up on that or simply moved to smaller test groups?

I think it was for IPB3? that you made a test site an login to help get a feel for I think it was the new theme or something on handling loads? was it neowin5.net or something like that? How come you gave up on that or simply moved to smaller test groups?

Even when we did that, we don't get the same number of users that are active on the live site. We did run a short beta of the new version with the subscriber group.

Additionally, the Neowin 5 launch was much bigger, as it was a replacement of the entire front end codebase, as well as a major forum upgrade

• Like 1

Even when we did that, we don't get the same number of users that are active on the live site. We did run a short beta of the new version with the subscriber group.

Additionally, the Neowin 5 launch was much bigger, as it was a replacement of the entire front end codebase, as well as a major forum upgrade

Out of curiosity, did you get any of the major complaints with the short subscriber beta?

I am nowhere near as active on the forums as I once was, but I still visit at least once a week.
So I obviously noticed there was an upgrade, and when I made my first post on the upgrade, I did say to myself "hmm, this is a little different," but that was literally it. I accepted it and I moved on.
I have been a very active member on previous upgrades. I was even a moderator during one or two of them, so I can say the next statement based on first hand experience.
More often than not the most vocal people who have issues with an upgrade are the most active users, and most of their issues stem from fear of the unknown or from change. They feel as if this is "their" forums, and I am sure there is also a belief of they did not want things to change, and as a result change sucks.

Now there may very well be some bigger issues with this latest upgrade than there normally are, but in the grand scheme of things, they are probably nowhere near as bad as people are making them out to be.

The subscriber group didn't mention any of the commenting issues?

I'd say open testing to all members next time so stuff like that doesn't get missed.

Thanks Steve for the heartfelt note. I can only imagine how much stress its been over the past few months. I am sure that those who love Neowin will continue to be members here because it is about the community of friends, staff, and the Neowin experience. Glitches here and there are not an issue in the long run. Keep your chin up, mate!

Just please, do us all a big favour. Next time you upgrade, DO NOT DO IT ON THE LIVE DB!

Take a backup, convert the backup. Test, test and TEST AGAIN, said backup.

When 100% happy, turn off the old forum and take another backup, convert the backup, and put the converted one online, without touching the original forum AT ALL.  That way, if it all explodes again, you can swap back at the flip of a switch and only lose a minimal amount of content, which we can live with.

Never, ever, EVER get rid of your original functional version until the replacement is fully functional. You just don't know when you'll need to rollback. 

• Like 2

hey all, ...

Its becoming a bit of a blur as I use neowin daily so cant remember when it all started.. i.e. not sure anymore if its due to the 4 update or was before this..

BUT is it just me or is the site much slower at loading forum content? if it is due to 4 update will this be address by the new update?

hey all, ...

Its becoming a bit of a blur as I use neowin daily so cant remember when it all started.. i.e. not sure anymore if its due to the 4 update or was before this..

BUT is it just me or is the site much slower at loading forum content? if it is due to 4 update will this be address by the new update?

It is much much slower for me, especially on a mobile device.

The problem with moving to another forum system is that they never do exactly what we want, we have a lot of custom code in IP.Board, as well as all the connections to the CMS. We looked at XenForo at 1.3 I think and decided it would be too much of a major undertaking to convert.

Too bad. Oh well, it is what it is. I still like this place.