Let's Have A Good Look At That "Leaked" NX Controller

With the run up to E3 and the nature of the internet, it's inevitable that we're going to get some fanciful Nintendo NX rumours floating around. We recently tackled some rumours which the internet got in a flap about, as there wasn't much substance to back them up. Now we've been hit by another "leak" which is a supposed image of the NX Controller prototype. Here it is (rotated, because we're nice like that):

gDZ6VRc.jpg

Source with more images & information:  http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/03/rumour_buster_lets_have_a_good_look_at_that_leaked_nx_controller

yeah no, i dont even believe its a prototype of anything and just some BS someone said is one.. Nintendo have made ugly controllers, but come on people, if people believe this then I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

Can't even work out wtf it is supposed to be.

This sort of crap is clickbait. It's like that Red Dead Redemption 2 rumor.

18 hours ago, Torolol said:

the rumor claims that the image shown similarity with previously filed patent,

but do not gives the number of said patent that we could cross-check?

Could have read the article, that is riddled with links.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/12/fascinating_patent_shows_nintendo_portable_utilising_free-form_screen_technology (it also has source links to source links...)

18 minutes ago, compl3x said:

Can't even work out wtf it is supposed to be.

This sort of crap is clickbait. It's like that Red Dead Redemption 2 rumor.

It's supposed to be a free-form display on the entire controller face - so games can create their own button layouts using the screen. It also has scrollable shoulder buttons (think somewhat like mouse wheels). Although, the analouge sticks here (which are actually physical), don't look like real sticks to me.

1 hour ago, ~Johnny said:

It's supposed to be a free-form display on the entire controller face - so games can create their own button layouts using the screen. It also has scrollable shoulder buttons (think somewhat like mouse wheels). Although, the analouge sticks here (which are actually physical), don't look like real sticks to me.

Wait... Onscreen buttons? Like on my iPad or phone? That's like the worst interface possible. The whole point iof a controller is to have physical buttons.

I can see the logic behind a touch screen interface, not only does it allow virtually any control scheme for your game, but it could also be a move to entice mobile devs. With Nintendo finally branching out to iOS etc, it could be a new cross-platform trump card.

50 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I can see the logic behind a touch screen interface, not only does it allow virtually any control scheme for your game, but it could also be a move to entice mobile devs. With Nintendo finally branching out to iOS etc, it could be a new cross-platform trump card.

Just worried all this expense on another screen based controller means Nintendo skimping on the internals. As long as it has PS4/X1 parity. Nintendo need to get 3rd party ports on board and not be left behind by the big publishers again. Yeah all their 1st party content is unrivaled but this is the time to start giving Sony and MS a run. 

Plus fix that damn online network. User IDs, proper friends lists and all that jazz. 

• Like 2

If nintendos statements about getting serious again and getting the core gamers back as well. I don't see this as something they're realistically going to try.

touch screen buttons, would be and are horrible, not matter how "customizable". Gamers don't care about the looks of the buttons or them being customized in numbers and position to the games. We just want a normal number of well placed, good tactile buttons that we know where are without looking at the controller. This fails horribly at being a controller.

This analog sticks as well. it's the exact kind of analog sticks gamers hate. they're imprecise, hard to move, doesn't have a good grip and are overall terrible to use. The WiiU pad is good controller, this thing, it not. even if they add comfortable handgrips and what not, it's still going to be a terrible controllers, and even nintendo would know that. 

On 3/24/2016 at 11:52 AM, Andrew said:

FYI, the controller was revealed as a fake.

Thank god!