Moved from Xbox One to PC Gaming...

I've been an on-off PC gamer for several years, sort-of dablling into playing PC games on a low-end PC for awhile.

At the start of last month I took the plunge and began the conversion from Xbox One to PC. I sold my Xbox One to Grainger Games, got around £200 for it. I then began converting what was my low-end PC into a more high-end gaming PC, going to a GTX 960 OC graphics card, FX 8350 8-Core processor and the MSI 970 G1 Gaming motherboard, along with 16GB RAM.

Results: So far, pretty happy with PC gaming - especially being able to use a Razer Deathstalker keyboard!

My only problem is the lack of online players in some games that I enjoy, such as Call of Duty BO3 and Titanfall. Granted, I can get into some online games, but they're always on the same game modes, no-one seems to go to the other types of modes. I assume it is because the PC gaming market is much smaller than that of consoles, so now my hope is people move to PC more, because it really is a fun environment.

Also just subscribed to Origin Access, so going to be rocking some Battlefield 4 soon; I used to love playing Bad Company 2.

• Like 2

I don't think it's necessarily smaller, just there is a bigger variety of MP games on PC than console. In saying that console servers do tend to be more popular (see BFstats).

Still enjoy, it's by far the more superior experience, especially for FPS. I just can't be bothered with the upkeep and enjoy being lazy in front of my TV too much.

4 minutes ago, Audioboxer said:

I don't think it's necessarily smaller, just there is a bigger variety of MP games on PC than console. In saying that console servers do tend to be more popular (see BFstats).

Still enjoy, it's by far the more superior experience, especially for FPS. I just can't be bothered with the upkeep and enjoy being lazy in front of my TV too much.

Yeah, I suppose it could be bigger. It is very enjoyable though. One thing I am having to get used to is the more fragmented market - on Xbox, I was used to just having the Xbox Store, but on PC, I now have to switch between Steam, Origin and Uplay. Not a huge deal, just means a little more effort. :p

15 minutes ago, Jack W said:

Yeah, I suppose it could be bigger. It is very enjoyable though. One thing I am having to get used to is the more fragmented market - on Xbox, I was used to just having the Xbox Store, but on PC, I now have to switch between Steam, Origin and Uplay. Not a huge deal, just means a little more effort. :p

Yuck Origin. *shudders*

But yeah overall having an open market is best.

1 minute ago, Audioboxer said:

Yuck Origin. *shudders*

But yeah overall having an open market is best.

Hah, what's up with Origin? Downloading a ton of Origin Access games right now. Uplay is the one I don't seem to like so far.

14 minutes ago, Jack W said:

Steam, Origin and Uplay.

This is the main reason, I've been thinking about moving to Xbox One, having 3 services and @Audioboxer sums up my opinion of Origin and Uplay. The cost is becoming an issue for me, my tired gaming box is an I3 with a 560GTX that barely runs DS3 on low settings. I am dreading updating everything since a good gfx card costs what the XBone does... but mods.

I would love to put the disc in and play without having to "tweak" every setting to get it to run right, of course if my pc was current, I wouldn't have to do this either. Convincing my wife I need to drop a grand to play games is getting tougher as I get older. :(

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

This is the main reason, I've been thinking about moving to Xbox One, having 3 services and @Audioboxer sums up my opinion of Origin and Uplay. The cost is becoming an issue for me, my tired gaming box is an I3 with a 560GTX that barely runs DS3 on low settings. I am dreading updating everything since a good gfx card costs what the XBone does... but mods.

I would love to put the disc in and play without having to "tweak" every setting to get it to run right, of course if my pc was current, I wouldn't have to do this either. Convincing my wife I need to drop a grand to play games is getting tougher as I get older. :(

It is definitely a very different experience. Luckily, for now, I am fortunate enough to be able to download a game and know it will run pretty well. I've had 0 crashes, no stuttering, etc. I did get that with my Xbox One and my old PC. So far, PC is smoother, with good hardware. Xbox is certainly the cheaper option, over time, but PC is the better experience. I suppose it is the old "you pay for quality" saying.

26 minutes ago, Jack W said:

Hah, what's up with Origin? Downloading a ton of Origin Access games right now. Uplay is the one I don't seem to like so far.

Uplay grrrrr.

Don't really have a problem with UPlay or Origin ... just hate when they are updating (especially UPlay which seems to take forever).  I haven't really done multiplayer on a PC in a while...but didn't Titanfall kind of flop?  

1 minute ago, jjkusaf said:

Don't really have a problem with UPlay or Origin ... just hate when they are updating (especially UPlay which seems to take forever).  I haven't really done multiplayer on a PC in a while...but didn't Titanfall kind of flop?  

When I was on Titanfall earlier, had around 500-600 people online, mostly in Attrition. I got into a game fairly quickly, about 1 and a half minutes. But for other game modes... you're gonna be waiting awhile.

16 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Yup, all of DICE / EA's recent FPS have flopped on PC.

@Jack W if you want high pop FPS on PC, CS:GO and TF2 are the games to go to. We're also about to have 3 new games soon (Battleborn, DOOM and Overwatch). You can also alpha test the new Unreal Tournament.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

@Jack W if you want high pop FPS on PC, CS:GO and TF2 are the games to go to. We're also about to have 3 new games soon (Battleborn, DOOM and Overwatch). You can also alpha test the new Unreal Tournament.

I took a peak at Overwatch earlier, looks very interesting, will probably pick it up. I've played CS:GO previously, I'm just on-the-fence about getting it for PC - I'm not the best player. :p

8 minutes ago, Andrew said:

...or how about Unreal Tournament (the new one...currently in Alpha stage). :)  If you just want to shoot people in the face.  May have to give this one a try and see if it can capture my interest in MP again.

I'll be getting Doom as well ... well after the price drops a lot. 

Edit:  Argh.  Just read the last line in your sentence.  Haha

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

...or how about Unreal Tournament (the new one...currently in Alpha stage). :)  If you just want to shoot people in the face.  May have to give this one a try and see if it can capture my interest in MP again.

I'll be getting Doom as well ... well after the price drops a lot. 

Edit:  Argh.  Just read the last line in your sentence.  Haha

Thanks for the link to the Unreal Tournament test - downloading now. Willl also be taking a look at DOOM and Battleborn.

22 minutes ago, Jack W said:

Thanks for the link to the Unreal Tournament test - downloading now. Willl also be taking a look at DOOM and Battleborn.

I personally find the Unreal Tournament Alpha a lot of fun, that and UT 2004 are honestly the only game I have played on the PC for years.

I went the opposite way to yourself, from 1998 to 2005 all I ever spent my money on / got for Christmas & birthdays was games and hardware for the PC. When the 360 launched in the UK got one on launch day and never looked back. I loved not having to worry about constantly upgrading, that up to 4 people could play on the same console and everything just worked. It's probably the exclusive franchises such as Gears, Halo, Crackdown and all the Japanese shoot em up's that kept me there.

I'd say go where the games are you want to play :) no one platform has everything.

so a PC convert who swears he has seen the "light" /s. actually I hope you don't turn into one of those pc-master-race type of gamer or one that actively tries to convert people. so let us all game where we want to and enjoy our hobby. yes?

I'm still switching off between X1 and PC depending on exclusives, how much I wanted the game compared to when it was releasing on PC, whether or not the PC version is a directx 9 turd, or in the case of Quantum Break how much the PC version needs a patch (apparently it just got one, cool.)

Mostly done with the X1 outside of console only games though.

Edited by LostCat

49 minutes ago, rocksturdy said:

so a PC convert who swears he has seen the "light" /s. actually I hope you don't turn into one of those pc-master-race type of gamer or one that actively tries to convert people. so let us all game where we want to and enjoy our hobby. yes?

I believe that both platforms can co-exist, albeit with better integration between the two.

Cross-buy for PC/XB1 will be good if MS take it seriously (doesn't end up being 2 titles in 5 years).

19 hours ago, Audioboxer said:

Cross-buy for PC/XB1 will be good if MS take it seriously (doesn't end up being 2 titles in 5 years).

Definitely. I'd like to be able to scrap all my different clients on PC, and just use the Windows Store to buy my games, and be able to use them interchangeably on console and PC, even if games cost a little more than they do now.

On 2016-05-01 at 7:04 AM, Jack W said:

Definitely. I'd like to be able to scrap all my different clients on PC, and just use the Windows Store to buy my games, and be able to use them interchangeably on console and PC, even if games cost a little more than they do now.

They'll need to support the whole xbox live experience for me to switch though. Maybe this is what they are planing i did not check but cross buy wont be enough only they need to whole live thing coming to pc.

Just now, LaP said:

They'll need to support the whole xbox live experience for me to switch though. Maybe this is what they are planing i did not check but cross buy wont be enough only they need to whole live thing coming to pc.

I think, technically, that is already there. Games can use Azure servers for multiplayer, Xbox Achievements, friends, etc. I think for the most part, Xbox Live does exist on PC; the problem is getting developers to support it. We probably won't see much progress for a year or so.

56 minutes ago, Jack W said:

I think, technically, that is already there. Games can use Azure servers for multiplayer, Xbox Achievements, friends, etc. I think for the most part, Xbox Live does exist on PC; the problem is getting developers to support it. We probably won't see much progress for a year or so.

Games yes. But can i download a client to see who's online, who's playing games, what is the progress of my achievements, chat with people, etc ... If i need to start a game for that then i'm not really interested. I use the community part of Steam a lot.

Just now, LostCat said:

Yes, the Xbox app in win10 does all that.

You mean the metro apps? Last time i checked it let's just say it was not great at all. There was not much options or anything. Maybe they improved it lately though.