So Microsoft Edge has no way to save a webpage?

On 5/22/2016 at 9:18 PM, adrynalyne said:

I'm saying your heat problems are exposed by chrome, not caused by them. 

That's like saying that the reason I keep tripping over while going up one particular staircase is not because the steps are too small, but that there is something wrong with my knees.

5 hours ago, illegaloperation said:

That's like saying that the reason I keep tripping over while going up one particular staircase is not because the steps are too small, but that there is something wrong with my knees.

That too, sounds like a personal problem. 

• Like 2

On 5/22/2016 at 8:32 PM, illegaloperation said:

Like what?

I prefer Lynx.

Capture.JPG

No...but seriously ... there are alternatives.  I like Chrome....no problem with it even on this older notebook.  I do not like Edge (has almost as many features as Lynx..haha) ... so I do not use it.  There are many choices out there.

I know someone who has an 10 year old PC that still can manage to run chrome...

So my suggestion is to use Chrome, it's generally a nicer browser than Edge anyways. 

Chrome does put some load on the GPU especially when watching youtube / netflix etc so this might be causing your fans to start if you have heat issues.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2016 at 11:34 PM, Defcon said:

There's no file save, no Ctrl-S, no right click 'save as'. Unbelievable that such basic functionality should be omitted, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised !

What's even more amazing is the suggestion on the support forums that if I want to do this I should reopen the site in IE.

There is an option from within Edge to open in Internet Explorer. They put it is for legacy web sites that Edge has problems with.

This isn't a niche feature like 'work offline' or some random extension. Its File-Save, quite likely the most common option in any program. Removing it makes zero sense. If I'm meant to use Ctrl-P and print to pdf/xps instead of printer, that is identical to File-save as PDF, which of course is what the purpose is and is much more clear.

There is an option from within Edge to open in Internet Explorer. They put it is for legacy web sites that Edge has problems with.

This feature has nothing to do with legacy websites. 

This sounds exactly like the ton of features removed from Windows because some PM decides 'hey no one uses it, let me just remove it from the UI' and claim victory because they made the product 'simpler'. It doesn't save any code (since obviously the markup is still in memory), there are no usage stats to show that people were no using this feature, and its totally arbritary. And yet people defend it.

19 minutes ago, Defcon said:

This isn't a niche feature like 'work offline' or some random extension. Its File-Save, quite likely the most common option in any program. Removing it makes zero sense. If I'm meant to use Ctrl-P and print to pdf/xps instead of printer, that is identical to File-save as PDF, which of course is what the purpose is and is much more clear.

This feature has nothing to do with legacy websites. 

This sounds exactly like the ton of features removed from Windows because some PM decides 'hey no one uses it, let me just remove it from the UI' and claim victory because they made the product 'simpler'. It doesn't save any code (since obviously the markup is still in memory), there are no usage stats to show that people were no using this feature, and its totally arbritary. And yet people defend it.

Actually, I have several use case scenarios for it's removal. I've seen several users now 'save' webpages, thinking they were bookmarking them, and then are completely frustrated when they go to open them, and they no longer work. Some of them are confused why "bookmarking" (saving) the pages clutter their desktops with so many files.

Personally, I just don't see a reasons to save a webpage anymore. If you're looking to grab an image, you can save it, or copy / paste the text into Word or Notepad.

^^ If you want to save say a Tutorial on a Webpage that you want to use offline and can Print it as a PDF  is the only reason I can see.

On 5/22/2016 at 9:42 PM, illegaloperation said:

Chrome? lol

Chrome makes my laptop feels like an oven and the battery life is terrible. Opera is now just Chrome with a different skin.

Not sure about Firefox.

You cannot blame poor hardware on a Browser. Chrome does nothing but work when I use it.