Anyone utilising the Vulkan API in Doom? Thoughts? Experiences?

I've an R9 390 but I don't own Doom yet. I am especially interested in people who own older cards. Reviewers have tested modern AMD cards and the FPS increases are pretty impressive. Changing the from OpenGL to Vulkan in the settings can provide significant FPS improvements.

Don't turn this into an Nvidia V. AMD circlejerk; I am just interested in the tech not which multinational company you've decided to pledge your allegiance to.

I have a 390 as well and it runs great. I have it set to ultra and it hasn't had any issues. I have not tested the FPS, so I have no numbers.

I haven't tried it either, I own a 280x. And it stands to reason that you'd get better performance. At this moment, Vulkan pretty much matches the capability of DX12, whereas OpenGL doesn't offer lower level hardware access, so the additional draw calls per frame is bound to offer an advantage.

Vulkan was also developed from Mantle so it stands to reason it will perform better on AMD cards to begin with.

1 minute ago, hagjohn said:

I have a 390 as well and it runs great. I have it set to ultra and it hasn't had any issues. I have not tested the FPS, so I have no numbers.

Can I ask what res you're running?

But... I so wanted to say nvidiot or amdtard! It's so much easier to throw pejorative names around than actually sharing useful information! :(

Oh well. I have neither an AMD card nor Doom, but the performance gains are nothing short of astonishing. 30-40%. Making the RX 480 look like the more future-proof buy regardless of the 1060's performance when it comes out. But we'll have to wait and see how widely these low-level APIs are used. I'm guessing most game companies won't have the budget to spend on that kind of optimization work.

5 minutes ago, compl3x said:

Can I ask what res you're running?

1920x1080. I may try to punch it up a bit to see how it functions. I have a 2560x1080 resolution monitor with freesync.

Just now, Andre S. said:

But... I so wanted to say nvidiot or amdtard! It's so much easier to throw pejorative names around than actually sharing useful information! :(

Oh, hey, don't despair, mate. You could always go into the YouTube section of any Vulkan video and insult strangers on the internet about a piece of hardware they use. :) lol

2 minutes ago, Andre S. said:

Oh well. I have neither an AMD card nor Doom, but the performance gains are nothing short of astonishing. 30-40%. Making the RX 480 look like the more future-proof buy regardless of the 1060's performance when it comes out. But we'll have to wait and see how widely these low-level APIs are used. I'm guessing most game companies won't have the budget to spend on that kind of optimization work.

Yeah, it truly is astonishing. I honestly thought the first video I watched about the gains must have been wrong. But as you said, if there is not the desire or willingness to optimise/implement then this is all for nought. Which would be a real shame. Especially when you think about  how much effort people go to overclock to get a few FPS. 

Aside from a few releases coming out too early DX12 and Vulkan both look fantastic.  I'll grab Doom when I can, but it's still not a priority for me even if it's cool.

• 2 weeks later...

I have played Doom with Vulkan at 4K with a GTX 1080, and it seems to run just as smooth as it did in the regular DX mode, I'll have to enable the performance meter in game and see what (if any) differences I notice.