W7Pro > W10Pro, sync service error - cannot switch or add MS account?

Hi all,

I finally got my W7Pro pc to upgrade to Win10.
Everything went fairly smoothly, I had to reinstall some drivers after W10 decided it didn't like them. And this was an hour in - after-  the final upgrade.

Anyhoo..... The only problem I have now is that I cannot add my MS account to the mix. A window is flashing very quickly, and than nothing.
This is the same for any app that is linked to the account. Edge, the Store, All W10 apps.

It seems to be a known issue, and what I could find out on this pc with the account checker app is that there's something wrong with the sync service. It also complains about the internet connection, but as I can browse the web just fine, it might be that this service looks at more than just DNS values?
I have to admit I do run the server2012 essentials connector, so I can backup my pc's but all NIC settings are still looking at the cable provider.

So the only login now is the old basic Win7 one, and that is a admin as well. (being lazy here...)

Anyone with some tips and tricks I can try to get the sync service working? I'm not going to reset the whole thing and reinstall all my apps. I rather go back to Win7 ;-)

cheers,

rob

The pc still has the local account after the upgrade.

What I want is to (at least) add my ms account, so I can activate the store, and have my calender running.
All the other stuff isn't needed for now, butr should be working as well as soon as the ms account can be added or switched.
But every way I try, I get a very fast window closing on me, and nothing happens.

You should create an outlook.com email address and then start over and upgrade to the MS Account and not the local. Somewhere in the procedure it will ask you. Then if you want you can change it to a Local. A Local account cannot synch,

Use that Outlook.address as your account name.

Yes, but that's the whole problem.
I - cannot- access anything that will let me do this.
Anything linked to creating a ms account, or switching to one, doesn't work.
It will flash a window, and that's it.

I tried every app or setting in W10, it will not work. XBox will say it cannot connect, the Store app will flash a window, as does the settings part.
It works just fine on my HTPC, my tablet, and my virtual W10, so it's not my ms account.

It's windows 10 refusing to have me link to the damn thing ;-)

But it's way past my bedtime, will have a look at it tomorrow.

cheers!

rob

p.s. I will not start over, as I don't feel like reinstalling a ton of apps. If this is not easily fixable, I'll go back to Win7.

9 minutes ago, Dutchie64 said:

Yes, but that's the whole problem.
I - cannot- access anything that will let me do this.
Anything linked to creating a ms account, or switching to one, doesn't work.
It will flash a window, and that's it.

I tried every app or setting in W10, it will not work. XBox will say it cannot connect, the Store app will flash a window, as does the settings part.
It works just fine on my HTPC, my tablet, and my virtual W10, so it's not my ms account.

It's windows 10 refusing to have me link to the damn thing ;-)

But it's way past my bedtime, will have a look at it tomorrow.

cheers!

rob

p.s. I will not start over, as I don't feel like reinstalling a ton of apps. If this is not easily fixable, I'll go back to Win7.

Windows 10 reinstallation tip: How to reset your PC and keep your ...

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. I'm running the latest version of Win10, 10.0.0.586 with all the patches.
And again, I'm not going to reset Win10, and reinstall all my apps.

I'll try to fix this issue untill Saterday, after that it's back to WIn7 for me. Don't have the time or patience to fix something MS has broken.
Another issue showed itself, the DNS settings of the NIC will not stick after reboot. I have to enter them again after every reboot. >:-(

Never mind......

Windows 10 started to play the 'whack-a-mole' game with applications and drivers after a couple of more reboots.
All of a sudden certain apps didn't work anymore, drivers were uninstalled, so my tablet stopped working etc.
All kinds of things that worked a reboot or two before.

So I lied, and didn't gave it until Saturday. I didn't feel like bug hunting for a week to see if I got them all.

Back in Win7, thank <insert fav deity> for the 2012 server essentials connector. Best thing for connected workstations and pc's ;-)

Personally, I would of backed up my programs and data and reset Windows 10. That way everything broken from the upgrade would likely work again.

Ultimately it sounds like the upgrade was borked (as I've both seen personally happen and read the horror stories about) causing the aforementioned issues.

If you're going to give Windows 10 a decent chance, always give it a fresh start, IMO.

Well.....

I do like Win10 in some areas, but I don't feel like setting up all my applications and settings again. Some of them are quite temperamental regarding license managers and such.

And this pc has quite some tweaking done regarding applications, (system) settings and such. It will take me quite some time to get that all back if I re-do all that.
Also, there are also reports on some applications that in some cases don't work in a clean install, but do seem to work just fine when you upgrade? Older Adobe Suites for example.
Same with certain external devices, like scanners and printers.

But the good thing out all of this is that I have a proper Win10 license. If I decide at some point to redo the whole OS/app shuffle, I don't have to pay for the license ;-)

Edited by Dutchie64
spelling