Trade in Xbox One 500GB for Xbox One S 2TB? (Best Buy)

I was thinking about getting the Xbox One S because of the 2TB hard drive and it supports 4k video playback. I don't own a 4K TV yet but Best Buy is offering $150 for an Xbox One 500GB. At the end of everything it will only cost me $250 for a new Xbox One. Not sure if it's worth it because I don't own a 4k TV but I'm still deciding if I should wait until 2017 to see if Samsung will support Dolby Vision and HDR10. It does look like HDR10 will be the standard because Sony is backing HDR10 like Samsung and Microsoft. I do have the money to throw down $250 and replace my old Xbox One which I got a few years ago. Also have $25 from my point card which I need to use in 1 month. So it will cost me $225.

What would you do?

1 minute ago, ACTIONpack said:

I was thinking about getting the Xbox One S because of the 2TB hard drive and it supports 4k video playback. I don't own a 4K TV yet but Best Buy is offering $150 for an Xbox One 500GB. At the end of everything it will only cost me $250 for a new Xbox One. Not sure if it's worth it because I don't own a 4k TV but I'm still deciding if I should wait until 2017 to see if Samsung will support Dolby Vision and HDR10. It does look like HDR10 will be the standard because Sony is backing HDR10 like Samsung and Microsoft. I do have the money to throw down $250 and replace my old Xbox One which I got a few years ago.

What would you do?

If you can wait then I'd wait, best to save up for the new TV and maybe even Scorpio next holiday.  Or, I think LG and some others out there have 4k tvs on the market now that support both formats, so if you go with one of those it doesn't matter in the long run.  Unless you really want a Samsung tv?

2 minutes ago, George P said:

If you can wait then I'd wait, best to save up for the new TV and maybe even Scorpio next holiday.  Or, I think LG and some others out there have 4k tvs on the market now that support both formats, so if you go with one of those it doesn't matter in the long run.  Unless you really want a Samsung tv?

I just really like the Samsung 4K TV design of the look and interface over all others.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-silver/5034800.p?id=bb5034800&skuId=5034800

Just now, ACTIONpack said:

Guess you'd wait then, but I think it's a safe bet that HDR10 will become the standard, it's free after all, and every TV maker should support it just because of that fact alone.

Just now, George P said:

Guess you'd wait then, but I think it's a safe bet that HDR10 will become the standard, it's free after all, and every TV maker should support it just because of that fact alone.

True but Dolby Vision is 12 bit color vs HDR10 is only 10 bit. Which 12 bit is over 4 times the color range if I believe what Netflix rep said about it.

40 minutes ago, ACTIONpack said:

True but Dolby Vision is 12 bit color vs HDR10 is only 10 bit. Which 12 bit is over 4 times the color range if I believe what Netflix rep said about it.

This is why I asked if you really wanted that Samsung, I'd go with something else and get support for both formats to play it safe, still think HDR10 is going to win in the end though, just because it's free.

Just now, George P said:

This is why I asked if you really wanted that Samsung, I'd go with something else and get support for both formats to play it safe, still think HDR10 is going to win in the end though, just because it's free.

That was not true with HDDVD. It was free over Blu-ray which was not.

9 hours ago, ACTIONpack said:

That was not true with HDDVD. It was free over Blu-ray which was not.

That was different, as a optical media format, I mean when you had Sony pushing it so hard and since they own their own movie studios, all their own movies were going to be Bluray regardless.   I don't think we can compare the two cases, still, if you're not sure then just wait.  4k TV prices will come down as well.

If you're not going to see the benefit of the Xbox One S, regardless of the the cost to you, wouldn't it just make sense to wait for the Scorpio? 

If at the time they announce/release Scorpio, you feel it's not for you, buy the One S. It'll no doubt be cheaper 12-18 months down the line. 

Wait for Scorpio. 

By then, you'll know if you'll want Scorpio or be happy with what you have now +4k. 

If you want Scorpio, then you go straight to it.

If you want 4k, then the S would almost certainly have dropped in price by then.

If you still don't have a 4k TV, you can keep your current model until you do - then the Scorpio might even drop in price depending on how it's doing. 

Personally, I'd say $225 is a lot to spend on the same console, considering you're trading in at the same time and can't take advantage of 4k.

still quite happy with 720p & 1080p.

wonder how many fell for this;

ironic that the caption says don't let it's size fool you. 40% smaller implies that the new console is nearly half the size but in actual fact it's only a little smaller. to me, the only cool sounding thing is the internal psu.

what's more amusing is cnet previously posted the same image in a previous article http://www.cnet.com/news/xbox-one-s/ before they did a size comparison article.

cG5TH3N.jpg

Edited by Slarlac249