Better than Foobar or Winamp?

Question

meh. CPU usage is insane (50%+) and i get stuttering in Windows all around.. other than that, it's got potential, but the sound quality isn't worth the CPU usage on my box (P700, 240mb PC-133, C-Media 8738.. quite old, granted, but i should be able to get smooth mp3 playback)..

(N)

meh. CPU usage is insane (50%+) and i get stuttering in Windows all around.. other than that, it's got potential, but the sound quality isn't worth the CPU usage on my box (P700, 240mb PC-133, C-Media 8738.. quite old, granted, but i should be able to get smooth mp3 playback)..

(N)

i think you are wrong, this takes less system than foobar:

post-12-1080437510.jpg

Is there a volume control? Or must I go through the equalizer?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. You have to enable volume control through the main Options.

Also, my mem usage is about 6.4k and my cpu usage is 0%.

Edited by HeavyTwenty

i think you are wrong, this takes less system than foobar:

hmm i don't know what it is then, but when playing Apollo shoots my explorer.exe CPU up to 40%.. and yes, the apollo.exe remains at 4-5% CPU..

:blink:

Apollo is REALLY outdated. It was scrapped back in 1999. A worthy competitor to Winamp.

Its 2004, Foobar has made great strides with its modified mp3lib decoder. It is superior to both Winamp and Apollo's decoders. Plus, Foobar has TONS more features. Hell, it even has mouse gestures for those Optimoz lovers out there.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?sho...17239&hl=apollo

okae, downloaded it and i don't see what the fuss is, please tell me how it sounds better than any other player.

although i only used winamp playing through audigy2 to the stereo amp.

i hear no diff :yes:

I love it's simplicity but it doesn't support Ogg Vorbis, there is no Audioscrobbler plugin for it and it uses more resources than Winamp. :cry:

However, it's HTML playlist is so much cooler than Winamp's...

Edited by Shannon

Apollo is REALLY outdated. It was scrapped back in 1999. A worthy competitor to Winamp.

Its 2004, Foobar has made great strides with its modified mp3lib decoder. It is superior to both Winamp and Apollo's decoders. Plus, Foobar has TONS more features. Hell, it even has mouse gestures for those Optimoz lovers out there.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?sho...17239&hl=apollo

this version of apollo was updated 1 week ago ;) and the developer has been updating it 2wice every month

I love it's simplicity but it doesn't support Ogg Vorbis and there is no Audioscrobbler plugin for it. :cry: However, it's HTML playlist is so much cooler than Winamp's...

it does support ogg, on its website is a link to add on`s which has ogg and the other one as well

it does support ogg, on its website is a link to add on`s which has ogg and the other one as well

Hmmm. I'd still rather not have to download a plug-in to play a popular format.

explain to me how this uses less memory?!?!?

both running the same 9400+ song playlists (a must for me)

both playing same song

just a small difference in cpu and mem usage

not to mention, with the playlists open, it took foobar about 1 second to load, and apollo over 10 minutes.

i think i will stick with foobar, which also sounded better.

see screenshot

post-12-1080442712.jpg

Edited by spookshow

Off topic, but what's special about Foobar2000? Any reason to switch from Winamp? One possible reason I suspect, Winamp 5 with modern skin uses like 5-7k memory while Foobar uses 2.3k?

Edit: Btw, I couldn't find the friggin volume control in Foobar after 5 mins of search. And I ain't blonde either, so something is serious wrong :p

Eh... just found it in the Playback in Options menu...