IE open new window behind current

When I'm reading a website in IE which has lots of links, I find that I open those links in a new window and then switch back to the previous window to continue reading that website. In order to minimize the time it takes to do that, I decided to write a menu extension to automate the process. When I right-click on a link, I can now select an option which automatically opens a new window and then brings the previous window back to the front. If anyone else is interested, here it is.

Edit:

See below post for version 2.0. New feature is the ability to open links by drag & drop.

newback1_1.zip

Edited by em_te

hey, great tool to use.. but is there a way inwhich it doesnt expand to fill the whole screen? Perhaps an option to change it so that it opens the same size as the previous window?

Great tool though, using it right now :)

Alex :cool:

hey, great tool to use.. but is there a way inwhich it doesnt expand to fill the whole screen? Perhaps an option to change it so that it opens the same size as the previous window?

Great tool though, using it right now :)

Sure. Just open "winback.htm" and locate this line (74):

var h = window.open(url, "_blank");

h.moveTo(-4,-4);

h.resizeTo(screen.width + 8, screen.height - 20);

and then replace it with:
var h = window.open("about:blank", "_blank");

h.moveBy(parentwin.top.screenLeft - h.screenLeft, parentwin.top.screenTop - h.screenTop);

h.resizeBy(parentwin.top.document.body.clientWidth - h.document.body.clientWidth, parentwin.top.document.body.clientHeight - h.document.body.clientHeight);

h.document.location.replace(url);

Then it should open the window to the size and location of it's parent window. I haven't tested this extensively though. There might be problems with some websites with frames and stuff.

Sure. Just open "winback.htm" and locate this line (74):

and then replace it with:

Then it should open the window to the size and location of it's parent window. I haven't tested this extensively though. There might be problems with some websites with frames and stuff.

thanx, it works! :D

Great stuff! :) handy tool

Very cool, now map it to the middle button (if possible) and you're set. 

I like that idea, can it be done? :huh:

thanx, it works! :D

Well I just did some testing on more sites and the code in my 2nd post doesn't work. For example, site1, site2 and site3. IE doesn't allow you to get the external window dimensions so I had to calculate it from the document DOM dimensions. Unfortunately the dimensions aren't always accurate. If you still don't want maximized windows then it's safest to just use hardcoded values:

h.moveTo(10,10);

h.resizeTo(600, 400);

Very cool, now map it to the middle button (if possible) and you're set.?:DD

Unfortunately that's not possible with the extension method I'm using. I'm using the simple version of the extensions architecture so I can't hook into the event model automatically. To do that I have to write a BHO which is a lot more work. The simple version will only run on-demand, which means the user has to call it at least once before it can activate and do anything.

Edited by em_te

Very cool, now map it to the middle button (if possible) and you're set.?:DD

Okay I've tried to implement that functionality as much as possible. With this release you still have to right-click and select the menu option for thefirst> link. But on subsequent links you can just drag and drop those links back on the same window and they will open automatically.

newback2_1.zip

Edited by em_te

you know there are browsers out there that use Tabs that do this kind of thing a lot better, right?

this isnt a thread which is going to go on about other browsers.. this is a thread about patches that em_te has made

thanx for the other patches/plugins :D.. im using the drag linked one now :)

Alex :D

you know there are browsers out there that use Tabs that do this kind of thing a lot better, right?

Yes, I know. Thanks for the heads up. I actually use both but when I'm on IE, I like to have this feature present. :)

*i dont want another thread which has to releate to other browsers which is not under topic*

sorry but it is just starting to anoy me, theirs enough posts about them to sink a battleship

I like these tools that have been made, very handy indeed :) keep up the good work

What about a patch to make it work like opera :p

Just kidding ;)

The tools you make are looking very nice :D Keep up the good work :D

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...