IE open new windows faster

Here's a tip for Internet Explorer users: When opening new windows in Internet Explorer using the "File" -> "New" -> "Window" menu, it usually takes a couple of seconds for the new window to open. A quicker way to open a new window is to use javascript. Just type in:

java script:void(window.open("about:blank","_blank"));

into the address bar and push enter. Or put that in your bookmarks or in the links toolbar. The new window opens almost instantly.

Edit:

I just made an icon for the toolbar that calls the javascript. If anyone's interested here's the script and installer.

Edit.1:

Made new window always steal the focus.

Edit.2:

Made new window respect docked areas on screen

Edit.3:

Changes to work around XP SP2

post-33-1080274691.gif

newwin1_3.zip

Edited by em_te

Control-N works for me in both Firefox and IE. It's pretty much instantaneous. I can't imagine Javascript would make it any faster.

Control-N works for me in both Firefox and IE. It's pretty much instantaneous. I can't imagine Javascript would make it any faster.

In IE when I open a new window it loads up the same website as that of the current window. If the current website is complex than it will take a lot of time to render. So if I use javascript then I can open a blank window.

It is a cool tweak, but I use MyIE2 for exactly that reason, IE's total lack of customibility. MyIE2 can open a new page as a blank page, home page, or whatever; plus tabbed browsing!

• 2 months later...
em_te,

I've been using your new window toolbar button on all my computers since you released it. I just have a request though. Will it be possible to have the new window created using the button appear behind the parent window instead of in the front? similar to how your present shell extension works i suppose...

would such a thing be possible?

great stuff man...

thanks!

Here's an html file with the necessary modifications. Just replace the old "newwin.htm" file with this one. The old "newwin.htm" file should be somewhere in the windows directory.

newwin_diff.zip

Yeah, lmao. Why use different windows, when you can use the fastest browser in the world. You also have choice to use multiple windows and not tabs, or mutiple tabs in 1 window (my choice).

i bet this is going to turn into one of those ie vs firefox vs opera threads again...

btw, nice tweak for those who use internet explorer because apparently, there are actually people that use it :o ..surprise of the century :rolleyes: ..people will use what they want to use

I'm not trying to turn the thread into Opera vs Firefox (cause Opera'll will :p).

But I just want to recommend a browser that has a lot to offer over IE. (Firefox does too, but I simply prefer Opera.)