Can beer explode when left in the freezer?

Slightly off topic, but this reminds me of that Simpsons episode when Bart shakes up Homer's beer as a Aprils fools joke :laugh: ...

:rofl:

(if only I could remember the quote from that episode :blush: )

It goes something like this...

Bart: If only I could find out dad's weakness...

Homer: Ah beer, my only weakness - my Achille's heel if you will.

And also... great explanation Weasel.

it wont because its not carbonated

Doesnt have to be carbinated. When liquid freezes it expands. It might crack the bottle/break the can but it wont explode.

Not sure about beer, But I had some Sierra Mist in my mini fridge, too close to the freezer area, and it bursted all over my fridge. Woke me up doing so as well.

I defrosted my freezer / fridge combo and I had to turn it up after I had finished and I forgot to turn it down again, I had coca cola in the fridge and that expanded and fizzy pop went everywhere, sticky brown fridge afterwards, LOL ! :laugh:

i had a bottle in the freezer almost explode. the pressure built up so much i guess that it almost popped the top off.

slush was forcing its way out of the top. with the top still on. :s

I once put a few pints up in the freezer as I was expecting a few friends over. They came, we had a few, and I believe we were done early so one bottle was still up there and I forgot all about it. The next morning my mom opened the freezer and the bottle cracked and sprayed stuff all around. No one was hurt, but now I always make sure I don't leave anything up there for longer than it should be!

- Aalaap

my girlfriend got a 6 pack of those little mini pepsi cans when they first came out here.. and she brought them home and stuck them in the window sill and opened the window (it was winter) around 3am we heard several very loud bang noises.. sounded like gun shots... she rolled over and turned the light on and 3 of the cans had exploded burst... shrapnel and all.. and pepsi was all of the room... all over the walls and ceiling.. she tried grabbing the remaining cans.. and 2 blew up when she touched them... it scared the living crap outta me!! i've never seen anything like this.... seemed dangerous.. anyone else ever see this????

well uhm, the bootle contains a sparkling liquid. liquids expand about 10%+ if they freeze. the bottle won't explode tho, it'll make plop and break into pieces.

Most liquids do NOT expand when frozen. Things become more dense when they make the phase changes gas>liquid>solid.

Fortunately water doesn't do this, because otherwise life as we know it couldn't exist.

Here's the technical explaination:

Taking water for an example, its density is exactly 1. However the density of ice is around 0.8 because of air bubbles that get trapped during the freezing process.

Absolutely wonderful explanation, just a shame it's completely wrong.

"Taking water for an example, its density is exactly 1." - doesn't mean anything.

Water's density depends on its temperature and the surrounding pressure. Also density is requires a unit, which you didn't even supply.

" However the density of ice is around 0.8 because of air bubbles that get trapped during the freezing process. " - err, no. Ice is less dense than water because of its crystalline structure, nothing to do with air bubbles.

How do people get these silly misconceptions?!

Beer can spontaniously explode if shook, espically when freshly bottled where its cooling. it may expand and crack/explode the bottle. The only way I Could see it exploding is if you violently shook it and threw it in the freezer (placed it in the freezer) and your freezer was like -14C.

Most liquids do NOT expand when frozen. Things become more dense when they make the phase changes gas>liquid>solid.

Fortunately water doesn't do this, because otherwise life as we know it couldn't exist.

Exactly. A lake of beer would not make a good skating rink.

I'm not sure what kind of freezers you guys have, but me thinks their a bit too cold. I used to stash my own beers in the freezer when we'd have parties to keep people from finding them. The alcohol in beer keeps it from freezing, it has to be pretty cold for it to happen, and only because beer has a very low % of alcohol in it. Wine and hard liquor will never freeze in your freezer (trust me, my roommates tried making wine pops one time :rolleyes:)

i jus tasked my sister. she works as chemistristness (sp? whatever) and she told me the expanding volume of the water/beer is being compensated by the little air in the bottleneck and the shrinking/decrease of the % volume of the sparkling gas.

Exactly. A lake of beer would not make a good skating rink.

I'm not sure what kind of freezers you guys have, but me thinks their a bit too cold. I used to stash my own beers in the freezer when we'd have parties to keep people from finding them. The alcohol in beer keeps it from freezing, it has to be pretty cold for it to happen, and only because beer has a very low % of alcohol in it. Wine and hard liquor will never freeze in your freezer (trust me, my roommates tried making wine pops one time :rolleyes:)

I find that even if it doesn't look like a bottle is frozen, as soon as you open it and release the pressure slush begins to form...

the expanding volume of the water/beer is being compensated by the little air in the bottleneck and the shrinking/decrease of the % volume of the sparkling gas.

That would certainly compensate for the initial expansion due to freezing, but eventually the bottle would crack if the beer (water, soda) continued to expand.

I find that even if it doesn't look like a bottle is frozen, as soon as you open it and release the pressure slush begins to form...

The gases present become less soluble at the lower temperature, but are initially held in by the pressure of the sealed bottle. Open the bottle and they simply come rushing out, dragging liquid and solid with them.

Well, whenever my dad put is in the freezer he always forgot about them. SO yeah, i saw what happens to beer when left in the freezer. I didnt see it explode mind you, but the pressure from the frozen liquids as they try to expand in the bottle, break the glass (yadda yadda, ppl already explained that) But anyway, cleaning it out of the ice tray maker was a pain so dont forget it in there for too long @_@ if you do (and its not all shattered), just put it in the sink to unthaw for a bit lol :happy: