official mmo warcraft blizzard pc

• Please log in to reply
12717 replies to this topic

#12436 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 02 October 2012 - 15:38

I've loved this first week of MoP. Tons of content, lots to do. Only problem is that the instances are a little too easy, but thats better than too hard.

#12437 Slane

Slane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 October 2012 - 23:03

I believe it was Evn who discussed drop rates and I gotta agree. Whoever came up with these rates and approved 'em needs to be slap'd hard. Great zones, and good story (from what I payed attention to), but the quests are killing it.

#12438 vetthe evn show

the evn show

Removed

Posted 03 October 2012 - 16:31

So Elegon is not a joke…
Don't miss your chance to see the first difficult encounter in 8 months. We all know this isn't going to last.

#12439 Prosidius

Prosidius

Geek.

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 03 October 2012 - 19:01

Is he the first boss? I didnt get a chance to raid last night (damn you 3 1/2 hour server queues!).

#12440 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 03 October 2012 - 19:08

So Elegon is not a joke…
Don't miss your chance to see the first difficult encounter in 8 months. We all know this isn't going to last.

It should. With the raid finder there's no reason to nerf normal and heroic raid content anymore imo. If blizz continue to nerf then the raid finder will serve no purpose at all. I see the raid finder as an opportunity for casual people to see the content while keeping the game hard for better players via normal and heroic content. DS easy dificulty was a big mistake.

#12441 vetthe evn show

the evn show

Removed

Posted 03 October 2012 - 21:01

Is he the first boss? I didnt get a chance to raid last night (damn you 3 1/2 hour server queues!).

He's #5, IMO the pacing of the instance (what I've seen) is pretty good for normal mode. The first ones are marginal healing/dps/don't stand in stupid checks and the later ones require more individual responsibility. #4 could probably be buffed but I suppose that encounter has the "hard mode" version you can do for elite loot where as most people are probably doing 'easy mode' now. It works kinda like iron council, or for older players: eredar twins/bug trio.

f blizz continue to nerf then the raid finder will serve no purpose at all.

The "problem" with this encounter is that it requires exceptional DPS and very high levels of execution. The execution check is giving the sorts of guilds that did '0% deathwing for ****s and giggles' a pretty hard time so it's not something that less experienced people are going to just walk in and get: it'll take practice. There's a pretty stiff penalty for not getting the orbs done properly and that means you really need to play well to move on: you can't zerg this encounter as it stands. The DPS requirements are also very stiff (those 0% DW guilds are hitting hard enrage despite having the best possible gear at this point in the expansion) which means that you need to have players with a high level of expertise with both end-game raiding and their particular class. Most players like to think they can play their class as well as somebody in a top-10 guild but they can't. There are pretty huge gaps in skill that are very hard to overcome even with a full tier of loot.

If extremely good/experienced players (ie: bloodlegion, premonition, etc) aren't face-rolling the DPS requirements with current gear levels then 'regular players' are going to find it impossible. full raid epics will go some way to letting the best players walk past the DPS requirement (but only if they can do the execution check) but I think it may be set at a point where 'regular players' just can't hit it with full epic loot. Think back to dragonsoul: the best guilds were getting through that place in full firelands gear but 99% of the people who cleared it needed a set of 410 gear and 20%+ nerfs to make major progress.

The encounter reminds me of heroic yor'sahj/baleroc 25m or pre-nerf atramedes/valiona 10m (where the health is ~10% too high to be reaslitically completed by anybody but that top-100 crowd. I'm anticipating a nerf - probably in the form of a direct HP nerf - in the next lockout or two.

If I'm wrong and they leave it alone: awesome! but I think that sets us up for an end game where the gap between 'great guilds' and 'good guilds' gets out of hand pretty quickly - especially if the next instances are tuned to be even more challenging than this one. I'm curious how the final boss stacks up to this Elgelon: I'd really like for blizzard to break the trend of making the final boss a disappointment compared to the second-to-last ones.

#12442 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:51

Well as long as they don't nerf it Fireland style ... I still can't believe what they did with Fireland. We were about to kill Rhyolith hero before the nerf and move on to Beth or Baleroc. We were at 4% to kill him and everyone was going to get their rep ring the next week. Only 2 guilds on the server had him and no other guild but us on the server was close to down him. Then bang comes the nerf. It was really frustrating cause we worked hard to get him to 4% and he was really really easy after the nerf like almost faceroll.

#12443 vetthe evn show

the evn show

Removed

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:34

The problem with nerfs is everybody wants them pushed back until the week after they get the kill when they're close. If they set the door so that I get in and the next guy is locked out then he'll ask for one more week. If he gets one more week then the guy behind him wants it. Nerfs suck for anybody right on the boundry but they're really good for anybody who's quite far from it (which is almost certainly a much larger number of players). I think the cutting edge FOS is a pretty elegant solution for wanting to balancing things:
  • It recognizes the skill/effort/etc of players who do content while it's relevant on hard mode without nerfs.
  • It lets the good but not amazing players have a shot at clearing a tier before new stuff comes out with nerfs
  • It lets the very good but not quite top-1% players who clear content with the nerf have something to do with all their shiney gear between tiers (earn the FOS)
  • removing it at the end of a tier means I don't have to carry around a "herald set" for the next 2 years.
  • It ensures that the nerfs are reversible so you always have a chance to experience the encounter 'as it was intended'.

#12444 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 04 October 2012 - 19:57

I must say that so far i love this xpac. I don't have as much time to play as i used to and i leveled 90 two days ago only so i've yet to try the raids since my ilevel is way too low (still wearing many green items).

But i really love the zones so far. The lore is really great. The soundtrack is awesome. The lore is far superior to Cata lore (or lack of to be honest). The dungeons are really nice. The heroics are too easy but can't wait to try the challenges once i'll have the proper gear. I'll start doing dailies tonight to be able to buy those tailoring patterns.

Maybe the fact that i like anime movies like Mononoke Hime, Grave of the fireflies and 5 centimeters per second has to do with my love of the zones and lore. I can see the problem some people have with pandas and mystical thingies though. But personally i thought the mix between wow lore and oriental lore would be more disparate that it actually is. It actually blends together very well.

Now i just hope that the raids will be more interesting that Dragon Soul.

#12445 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 04 October 2012 - 22:19

I must say that so far i love this xpac. I don't have as much time to play as i used to and i leveled 90 two days ago only so i've yet to try the raids since my ilevel is way too low (still wearing many green items).

But i really love the zones so far. The lore is really great. The soundtrack is awesome. The lore is far superior to Cata lore (or lack of to be honest). The dungeons are really nice. The heroics are too easy but can't wait to try the challenges once i'll have the proper gear. I'll start doing dailies tonight to be able to buy those tailoring patterns.

Maybe the fact that i like anime movies like Mononoke Hime, Grave of the fireflies and 5 centimeters per second has to do with my love of the zones and lore. I can see the problem some people have with pandas and mystical thingies though. But personally i thought the mix between wow lore and oriental lore would be more disparate that it actually is. It actually blends together very well.

Now i just hope that the raids will be more interesting that Dragon Soul.

Keep us updated. I'm interested to see your opinion on it all, as I'm taking your opinion to be worth its weight in how you're approaching the expansion objectively. Definitely makes for a good read. (Y)

#12446 Slane

Slane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 October 2012 - 00:52

So heroics are LK status? Just gather 2-3 packs and AoE down?

#12447 Tharp Daddy

Tharp Daddy

Indeed!

Posted 08 October 2012 - 19:03

I'm torn between buying this or saving my money. On one hand, i've heard good things about it. Guild Wars 2 is great, but i miss getting together with a guild and taking on large scale content. The zones look great, i enjoy the WoW lore, and i'm glad the raids seem hard.

On the other hand, i feel like the combat might seem archaic. I enjoy the fluidity of the newer MMO combat styles like seen in Tera or GW2. Has anyone that has played either of those found it difficult to come back to WoW? Even something as simple as dodge, or being able to cast while moving might feel stale if it's missing.

I sorta miss WoW. I always think i'm done with it, but it gives me a ton of entertainment hours. I'm not sure if i'm burned out. I joined Cata at the end of it and did DS with a guild but i found it horribly boring. I am not sure if DS was just a bad raid, or the game has gotten stale for me. I like with WoW i can get home, log on for a few hours, and just play. I tend to have ADD when it comes to games so i jump around a LOT, so something that can hold my attention would save me some money.

#12448 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 09 October 2012 - 14:43

I sorta miss WoW. I always think i'm done with it, but it gives me a ton of entertainment hours. I'm not sure if i'm burned out. I joined Cata at the end of it and did DS with a guild but i found it horribly boring. I am not sure if DS was just a bad raid, or the game has gotten stale for me. I like with WoW i can get home, log on for a few hours, and just play. I tend to have ADD when it comes to games so i jump around a LOT, so something that can hold my attention would save me some money.

IMO Dragon Soul is one of the worst raid Blizzard ever did. I have yet to try the new raids but so far from a levelling perspective MoP is the best xpac since BC.

#12449 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 October 2012 - 14:53

I have yet to try the new raids but so far from a levelling perspective MoP is the best xpac since BC.

That's how I feel. I joined a 40m random raid in Kun-Lai summit to kill the Sha. Got him down after about 10 minutes and got my epic boots quest. Something about that experience brought back something I hadn't felt since early BC.

#12450 Yazoo

Yazoo

Just a regular guy

Posted 09 October 2012 - 15:07

That's how I feel. I joined a 40m random raid in Kun-Lai summit to kill the Sha. Got him down after about 10 minutes and got my epic boots quest. Something about that experience brought back something I hadn't felt since early BC.

Crap 40man, is that what it took to take him down? I was planning of soloing him tonight :/