Duck massacre caught on videotape

A car wash in the South Bay is offering a reward for the identification of a man who deliberately ran over and killed 10 of the ducks that have been an attraction at the business for years. A grainy surveillance tape from the Delta Queen Classic Car Wash -- a "theme" wash shaped like a Mississippi riverboat -- shows a man in his late teens or early 20s driving through the parking lot three or four times, aiming for the birds and running them down. Many of them were ducklings.

"It's sickening," said Chris Foley, a manager at the business, popular for its duck pond and gift shop and located at 981 E. Hamilton Ave. in Campbell.

Many of the ducks are descendants of a pair named Cheese and Quackers, a gift to the car wash owners from a customer in 1972. About 15 remained after the Aug. 5 rampage.

The violence, which lasted about 15 minutes and began at about 12:30 a.m., at first was kept quiet by employees who hoped the driver would return so they could catch him.

Foley said employees had turned to the surveillance video after he noticed the dead ducks in the parking lot when he arrived at work that Friday morning. At first, he suspected a careless garbage truck driver, but looking at the tape, he saw that the birds were dead when the garbage truck pulled in that morning.

Rewinding the tape further, he discovered the killer driving a red, two- door Acura Integra with what looked to be a vanity license plate and a parking sticker in the back window. The film is too blurry to make out the plate, so the car wash is asking for the public's help in identifying the driver.

The car wash is offering a $200 reward for information on the attack, and a number of other people and groups have pledged to add to the amount. If the suspect is not caught, the car wash will donate the money to an animal rescue agency, said Delta Queen cashier Vanessa Lopez.

Lopez, who watched the tape, said she had noticed a woman talking on a nearby public telephone during the fowl massacre and hoped she would come forward.

Foley described the film: "He runs over two ducks and then goes out on the street, makes a U-turn, runs over the ducks again, goes down the lane between the back side of the wash and the restaurant where a bunch of ducks are sitting and plows right through them."

The man then got out of his car and started flushing out the surviving ducks, many of them ducklings, from the bushes. He grabbed a couple and either threw them at his car or into his car, Foley said.

The first ducks to be killed were among the oldest, Foley said.

"They were like grandma and grandpa," he said.

Over the years, the birds have become like pets, pecking at the feet of employees and following them around. "They're like dogs," Foley said.

Campbell police Capt. Russ Patterson said there were no leads in the case so far.

Felony animal abuse can bring up to three years in prison.

"We're hoping that the public will be outraged by this thing," he said. "Clearly, it was an intentional act -- driving through and swerving back to hit the ducks sitting there."

Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...s&sn=003&sc=849

Man, that is ridiculous. I mean, he had to use a car! He couldn't even fight the ducks like a man!

All joking aside, I hope Karma comes back around, and he has duck or something at a chinese resturant, and chokes on a bone.

All joking aside, I hope Karma comes back around, and he has duck or something at a chinese resturant, and chokes on a bone.

586382489[/snapback]

karma....I have a baseball-bat named Karma that I save for occasions like this.... :ninja: ....

I hate people like this, there isn't even a way a duck can defend itself against a car, so how does that even make it fun/challenging to do this?

I can only hope they catch him.

I hope Karma comes back around, and he has duck or something at a chinese resturant, and chokes on a bone.

586382489[/snapback]

That would be the coolest irony ever. If that happened, i think i'd become a more religious person lol.

it really reaminds me of this :rofl:

duckhunt.jpg

/me fires up the NES

come here duckie, duckie, duckie :devil:

586382491[/snapback]

LOL!!! Aww, man...that's so wrong, but so hillarious!

karma....I have a baseball-bat named Karma that I save for occasions like this....

:ninja: ....

I hate people like this, there isn't even a way a duck can defend itself against a car, so how does that even make it fun/challenging to do this?

I can only hope they catch him.

586383266[/snapback]

amen, my friend.