Mississippians' Suffering Overshadowed

Mississippi hurricane survivors looked around Saturday and wondered just how long it would take to get food, clean water and shelter. And they were more than angry at the federal government and the national news media.

Richard Gibbs was disgusted by reports of looting in New Orleans and upset at the lack of attention hurricane victims in his state were getting.

"I say burn the bridges and let 'em all rot there," he said. "We're suffering over here too, but we're not killing each other. We've got to help each other. We need gas and food and water and medical supplies."

Gibbs and his wife, Holly, have been stuck at their flooded home in Gulfport just off the Biloxi River. Water comes up to the second floor, they are out of gasoline, and food supplies are running perilously low.

Until recently, they also had Holly's 75-year-old father, who has a pacemaker and severe diabetes, with them. Finally they got an ambulance to take him to the airport so he could be airlifted to Lafayette, La., for medical help.

Links:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050903/ap_on_...hk2_6&printer=1

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/new...na/12555416.htm

I realize that some of the comments I have recently made on here may have offended some. I apologize for that. My family, although fine, has been affected by the storm, and some of my best friends have lost houses and family. I only hope that this crisis is resolved as smoothly as possible, and the Coast (as well as LA) is rebuilt even better than before.

Well, it's mainly because the conditions in N.O. were worsening after the storm hit. Now that conditions are stabalizing, you'll probably see in the coming week more equal coverage of the three states that suffered the most.

I agree. The media has been paying so much attention to the problems in New Orleans that they seem to have virtually ignored the problems in Mississippi. Remember that the worst damage in a hurricane is caused by the eastern side of the storm (the northeast quadrant in particular), and that is the side that hit Mississippi. My parents live in the southeast corner of the state, and they were fortunate to only have minor damage to their house (although my dad's truck was crushed by an uprooted tree). On of my aunts lost her house, along with one of my cousins and his wife. They are staying with one of my other relatives for now. Even where I live (about 150 miles inland), there are still lots of people without power (current estimates are around 10 or 20%). Most of the buildings and homes in the towns I grew up in (Pascagoula and Moss Point, MS) are destroyed (not just water damaged, but flattened). The economy of the area is destroyed. Things there will never be "the same" again.

I say burn the bridges and let 'em all rot there," he said. "We're suffering over here too, but we're not killing each other. We've got to help each other. We need gas and food and water and medical supplies.

:no:

i understand that he is mad but saying that helps nothing. I dont see how he can say "let 'em rot" then "We've got to help each other".

i understand that he is mad but saying that helps nothing. I dont see how he can say "let 'em rot" then "We've got to help each other".

586486300[/snapback]

I think the "let 'em rot" comment was directed at the looters. I tend to agree.

I think the "let 'em rot" comment was directed at the looters.  I tend to agree.

586486323[/snapback]

Then that gets nothing done if people go by that.

586486300[/snapback]

I think, in the context, he meant to let the thugs rot. Those people are not helping each other, and he's condemning them for it.