iPod 30GB Video Review

Thankyou to Karl for buying the old player :p

Still working great, but I'm thinking of purchasing a Nano. In all seriousness, there's no way in hell I'm going to be able to fill up 40 gig worth of music.

Good review Toasty, nice pictures and in the sexay black colour.

Is there anyone in here, who don't like ipod. Seriously, I just don't like Ipod.  Anyway, i am unique.

586758154[/snapback]

i dont. i have a zen micro. love it much :D

Is there anyone in here, who don't like ipod. Seriously, I just don't like Ipod.  Anyway, i am unique.

586758154[/snapback]

why don't you like it?

just wondering if anyone has an altec lansing inmotion 3 and an ipod video? i measured the inmotion's ipod dock its about 6.1 or 6.2cm while the ipod video is 6.18cm. so if it can fit i'm kind of screwed.

just wondering if anyone has an altec lansing inmotion 3 and an ipod video? i measured the inmotion's ipod dock its about 6.1 or 6.2cm while the ipod video is 6.18cm. so if it can fit i'm kind of screwed.

586800426[/snapback]

The iPod Video is smaller in depth then anyother iPod and it's the same exact width as a 4G iPod, so if the dock can handle a 4G fine, you will be good for a 5G.

hmm just measured the inter-changeable dock for the 4g ipod and its 6.2cm too so i guess it'll fit. thanks for that now i don't have to look dumb trying to fit it in my inmotion 3 at the apple store. :laugh:

Here is what I have to say about the new iPod Video:

First, I was looking to replace my 3G iPod because of a dead battery. I KNOW, I could replace it, but.... you know.... Having something dead is allways a good excuse to buy something new.

OKAY... So I was shopping at FutureShop and saw a black iPod Video, 30Gig.... Took it in my hand, how slim... Pushed MENU and a bright color screen came to life. It's 2.5 inch of rich colors and good resolution 320x240. Text is clear and pictures look good (much better than those dusty pictures in your wallet!). I played one music and it sound exactly like my 3G, not better, not worst. And then I saw a video....

I know that I don't realy need this feature, but looking at a video on the iPod was a good experience. But if the screen is good enough for viewing photos, it's mabe a bit too small for video. I figure my eyes would hurt after watching a TV episode on it, forget about a complete movie!

They say you can connect your iPod Video on a TV, but the dock is optional. You only get a USB cable, small headset and iTune CD in the box. The optional dock (and optional remote!) is not available in store right now (at least here... only online).

SO... I got one. It's charging, in my old 3G dock. It's in sync with my iTune musics, pictures and I bought a Madonna Video (What it feels like for a girl), just for fun.... I still have 10Gig of free space, even with all the pictures and one video. 3360 tunes inside. I did take a look at the Creative ZEN, but the iPod have this little something more, even if it has less feature (no radio, no recording). It's the look, it's easy to use, nothing beats the click-wheel.

A couple of days later.... :unsure:

I still like my iPod Video, it's cool and the Video feature is something to impress OTHERS...!!! Still, it's nice to know that you can watch your favorite video clip on it.

BUT...

If I compare my "old" 3G iPod with this new one, their is two things that I don't like. The new click-wheel is over sensitive. If you use your iPod in the dark, like inside a car at night and try to press previous or next on the click wheel, you may endup changing the volume if you're not 100% precise on where you press. Having the row of lit buttons on the 3G was realy great.

And skipping forward or reverse in a playlist, or album (while it's playing) is slower now than before. Seems like the software inside the iPod is less snapy. Bloat problems? Is having to deal with music (podcast, audiobook), picture and video too much for the little device?

It would be nice if Apple upgraded the GUI to something more like FrontRow. Also, having my own background picture could be cool. Something the GUI can't do right now.

That's about all the bad thing I can say about my new iPod Video. NOT A SINGLE SCRATCH on it after 7 days. But I do take care of it.

:) :D

The thing I find weird about the iPod 5g is the way it accelerates when scrolling through large lists of music. On my iPod 4g I could clearly see the text flying by while scrolling at full speed and used to know exactly when to stop. With the 5g on the other hand the accelerating isn't really visible, it seems to scroll at normal speed when almost instantly reaching the end of the list.

Not sure if you guys know what I mean, but it feels very different from my 4g.

well when my U2 monochrome dies on me, which hopefully wont be for a long time (just took him on his second backpacking trip and yet again got an amazing 15 hours of battery life and the indicator says it has a quarter charge left!!!), i will defiantly get one of these or if a newer model is out one of those. I tried one out at the apple store in pentagon city and i must say, an amazing work of craftsmanship, they really got it right with this one.

You should say that's it's a 30 or 60GB model.

That affects the battery life.

586800674[/snapback]

My bad it is a 30GB..... Still no scratches on it yet like TruckWEB said I also have missed the illuminated buttons.....maybe Apple could make the scroll wheel illuminated for the 6th Gen