Censorship... Anyone have a timer?

Originally posted by deadzombie

Dazzla; Did Neobond tell you this was a democracy?:rolleyes: I have always been under the impression that Neowin was an Autocractic Dictatorship! At least that what it says on my Neowin armband...

Hail Neobond! Ruler of Neowin!

Seems to me some people would just do away with any moderation and let Neowin degenerate into a chaotic anarchy...which has happened at other sites before, killing the site dead. (Not that dead is bad...some of my best friends are dead)

ok forget my post then! :alien:

Alright, let's get technical.

The context of religion wasn't the issue. It was that the entire thread was devoted to victimization and hatred of a specific group of people.

Simply because a religious organization was the target makes it no different than if it was a group of black gay nazis being targeted.

No Racism, No Threatening, No (citing) Victimization (via PM) or Hateful posts

protects everyone. Not just who you think is ok to protect.

If you guys can't see that, then I'm sorry. Maybe some of the religious peeps here at Neowin will pray for you.:ponder:

even Bill Gates ? lol J/K!

i understand your point very well

Technical and hatred?

According to your description I urge you to close any threads where one OS group is dissing the other one for using their OS, and so on.

The context of religion wasn't the issue. It was that the entire thread was devoted to victimization and hatred of a specific group of people.

Simply because a religious organization was the target makes it no different than if it was a group of black gay nazis being targeted.

If you guys can't see that, then I'm sorry. Maybe some of the religious peeps here at Neowin will pray for you.:ponder:

there was one post in there that points out a specific group of people. religion is an idea. not a group. if you find the idea of someone not agree'n with religion offensive thats fine. but silencing others for your views is just as offensive ;)

The point is... the thread was closed to prevent flaming and could have caused anger and some people to be insulted. (Main reason threads are closeD)

I didn't see the thread, because I just got home, but anyways thats my two cents.

Uhh... I did not see any hatred shown toward the Catholic church. We were pointing out how it was a double standard that the pope and church preach about loving everyone when their views against homosexuals obviously diminish them.

If the pope himself were to come onto this forum to say ANYTHING about homosexuality, I do hope you censor his comments as well.

This was my only comment:

"I'm a Catholic and I live in Toronto. Right now the pope is here and I suppose I should be excited. But I'm not. My reason... Pope John Paul II always refers to gays as deviants and immoral. My brother is gay. 2 of my best friends are gay. 2 of my fiancee's friends are gay. I refer to them as friends and family.

For someone who is supposed to love everyone regardless, I wonder how he interpreted the words of Jesus into asking us to shun homosexuals.

Funny, a good number of Catholic priests are homosexual. Wonder what they think of their God aparently looking down on them with disgust."

That is in no way showing hatred against the church. I still go to church. I said a number of the priests are homosexual because I know a few of them and also what is in the news lately. I was merely pointing out how I thing the church shouldn't discriminate when they themselves teach not to.

As long as they were criticizing the ideas and policies of the Catholic Church, there should have been no problem at all.

If someone said 'Catholics are dumb,' that would be something else.

-RenMan

Originally posted by RenaissanceMan

As long as they were criticizing the ideas and policies of the Catholic Church, there should have been no problem at all.

If someone said 'Catholics are dumb,' that would be something else.

-RenMan

And that is exactly what was being said;

"but of course what he said isn't right. i'm sure a lot of religous fools around the globe feel that way."

"but I agree that rampant homosexuality is a bad thing"

"religion seems to have more power over the mindless sheep "

Those are direct quotes from the thread. Some of the posts were decent and mature. The thread was running about half & half. It wasn't just anti-religion, it was also anti-homosexual.

As with any passionate subject, religion and sexuality run a fine line of offending almost anyone. Due to the overall negative tone of the thread, and the establishment that this was an attack on a certain group of individuals, I exercised my right to close the thread. Another moderator agreed with my decision. After re-reading the thread, I still stand by that decision.

Normally Neowin doesn't even allow threads discussing a moderators decision to remain in the public forum. Because of the controversial nature of the subject, I have left this thread open for a mature discussion of the reasons behind my closing the thread. Hopefully some of you have come to an understanding of my reasons.

If someone else wishes to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me or another Neowin Moderator/ Admin. We will be happy to discuss your concerns. if you still disagree with my closing of that thread, please contact a Neowin Admin. They will be more than happy to address your concerns.

deadzombie

Neowin Moderator

Thanks Deadzombie...

I'm glad you explained the reasoning. I understand now, and yes I agree that it could have gotten out of control with the way some people post on here for what seems to be "shock value"

Just wanted to make sure it was closed for the right reasons. I'll PM moderators from now on. Wasn't trying to stir up any unnecessary poo. :p

Such an interesting discussion. I think what most people are missing is that there is no free speech here; truly, if there were, there would be no need for moderation or rules. Rules have, however, become neccessity, as much to keep people 'on topic' as to keep them in line.

Which poses an interesting dilemna for the moderators: Where do you draw the line between "free" speech and absolute moderation?

The goal seems (more or less) to reach "maxiumum free speech while minimizing hostile or otherwise hurtful speech." I have to sympathize with the moderators on this point, because the line could not possibly be more blury.

I can understand both sides of the coin. Moderating a forum this size is next to impossible. But being told you're not permitted to express your opinion (for whatever reason) can be equally aggravating. Personally, I respectfully disagree with DeadZombie's stance on the situation. I think shielding people from the opinions of others (and in essence, reality) stifles the human spirit and breeds emotional oversensitivity to major topics.

We are guests here, however, and therefore we must obide by the rules the moderators set forth, even if some of us disagree with those rules.

Hats off to DeadZombie for standing by his decision while still remaining tolerant to those who would disagree (including myself).

Vlad

Vlad hit it on the head...

I just wish more people respected moderators decisions and took it up via PM more often. Many sites wont even bother explaining themselves as this thread has (and many others before it)

We don't want to opress, but we don't want radicalistic views distorting the general feel of the board either.