Grub error 22

for those who are having this problem but have Vista instead of XP, you have to re-install Boot Loader only.

boot up from Vista Installation DVD and select Repair your Computer.(its below Install Icon).select Windows Vista and select Command Prompt.

execute this code:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

bootrec.exe /fixboot

close command prompt window and restart.

Hey guys. I know this is probably too late, but I think I may have a solution. There's this wicked awesome thing called the SUPER GRUB DISK. Website here: http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/ It can be used to uninstall the Grub boot loader or to fix it if an error persists. It can also be used to boot any partition and even understands slices (as in FreeBSD and others). Read the site, download to cd, usb flash or floppy and try it out. Only 4 megabytes in size!!! Or, right. forgot that you can't even boot into your computer. Yeah, you're pretty much screwed then. Use a friend's machine. Hope this helps.

Sorry, forgot to mention last time. The disk also includes the Knoppix Linux distro and FreeDOS in addition to the grub thing. Thought I'd add that just to motivate people to use it.

• 1 month later...
Hey guys. I know this is probably too late, but I think I may have a solution. There's this wicked awesome thing called the SUPER GRUB DISK. Website here: http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/ It can be used to uninstall the Grub boot loader or to fix it if an error persists. It can also be used to boot any partition and even understands slices (as in FreeBSD and others). Read the site, download to cd, usb flash or floppy and try it out. Only 4 megabytes in size!!! Or, right. forgot that you can't even boot into your computer. Yeah, you're pretty much screwed then. Use a friend's machine. Hope this helps.

Sorry, forgot to mention last time. The disk also includes the Knoppix Linux distro and FreeDOS in addition to the grub thing. Thought I'd add that just to motivate people to use it.

YESS!!

This fixed my problem straight away - Best.... fix... EVER

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
for those who are having this problem but have Vista instead of XP, you have to re-install Boot Loader only.

boot up from Vista Installation DVD and select Repair your Computer.(its below Install Icon).select Windows Vista and select Command Prompt.

execute this code:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

bootrec.exe /fixboot

close command prompt window and restart.

This worked perfectly, instantly. Just registered to say thank you :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is still an active thread or not, but I was having a similar situation and thought i'd add my 2 cents. I use OSX and haven't had that much experience with linux, but I decided to try it out on a computer my mom wanted me to reformat. It was running Windows XP and I decided to install Mandriva. After installing Mandriva there was a windows partition that I did not want. On a mac when there is a windows partition you can just "delete" the partition and it does not effect the system what-so-ever. As I have come to know, this is not true on linux.

I deleted the partition and continued to get "error 22" on boot. After reading this thread, I was frustrated that so many people were telling how to restore windows without the linux, but not the other way around. I took advice (substituting Mandriva for XP) and tried to boot the Madriva live disk... Nothing... I booted with F12 and it loaded a bunch of stuff and now it says...

Undefined video mode number: 314, jump to 80x25

Uncompressing linux...

crc error

-- System halted

so, now I'm kind of like WTF... I do NOT want to load XP back on to this machine. I just want to reload the Mandriva with no partition, or windows what-so-ever.

thanks,

-Bailey

I rebooted again after this error "-- System halted" and it once again booted Mandriva live with a "Loading Linux Kernel" loading bar. After sitting at 100% for a long time I got another message...

Undefined video mode number: 314, jump to 80x25

Uncompressing Linux...

invalid compressed format (err=2)

-- System halted

I know the disk is good, because it's the one i installed mandriva with in the first place.

^^^ Huh?

If a partition is truly a Windows only partition, then it can safely be deleted. Grub will point to hd0,2 or wherever still, and be fine.

If, however, you alter partition information (change the order - and no, a delete does not change the partition assignment, see fdisk -l to get that info), or if you set up a wubi-like system where the install was existing as a file in the NTFS partition you removed, then it would obviously cause a problem.

For example:

/dev/sda1 NTFS (Windows C)

/dev/sda2 ext3 (Mandriva /)

/dev/sda4 Extended

/dev/sda5 NTFS (Windows D)

/dev/sda6 swap (for Mandriva)

/dev/sda4 ext3 (Mandriva /home/)

As long as you did a standard install where GRUB is written to the MBR, it will point to hd0,1 (sda2) for the kernel boot code.

You can safely delete your Windows D. And your Windows C. Linux will still boot.

Not sure what problem you have run into. If you can boot a Linux LiveCD (like Knoppix, Ubuntu or even DamnSmallLinux), and post the output of sudo fdisk -l (that is a lowercase letter "L", not the number one) it will list out exactly what partitions you have, and which specific sectors they start and end on.

Ok, 3rd time must be the charm... it booted correctly into mandriva live. After it was completely in the operating system I got a box pop up with "The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly" Hit "OK" nothing seemed terribly wrong. I'm not sure what you mean about the "sudo fdisk -l" I tried typing that into "run command" and got an error message. Most of what you said is not english to me. I can successfully boot linux live. I would like to know how to find out about the partition.

Sorry, forgot it is Mandriva. You probably use a separate root account, rather than using "sudo" to enable root-like powers on your user account.

Open a terminal. Any of them (aterm, rxvt, konsole, etc.)

Type su - and hit [ENTER]

Type in your password for root (you should have been forced to set this up when you installed Mandriva)

At the prompt (and now that you have root), type fdisk -l (again, lowercase letter "L")

This will have Linux spit out the partition information it sees on all your drives. Post that here, and we can look and see how you are set up.

The unreliable boot is actually starting to sound like a drive issue. Did you recall seeing that the system was doing a "fsck" (file system check) at all?

when i type "su" nothing happens... the "run command" exits like it wants to do something... then not. the system is running really slowly now, and it won't let me open my "home". Can i "live instal" or am I going to end up with 3 partitions? I wanted a clean format and install in the first place, because i'm sure the XP had a virus.

Has your disk been scratched? If this computer is being reformatted anyway, then just do another install. You should get something like "erase hard drive and install" in the Mandriva installer, which will reformat the entire hard drive and install Mandriva again. It should also reinstall GRUB. Since you partitions simply seem messed up, and from the sounds of it you don't have anything valuable on the disk anyway, it will be easier to reinstall than to mess around with configs, etc. and possibly bork the system even more.

Good luck! I'll be honest, I haven't used Mandriva in years (I left it back in the Mandrake days), but I remember there being an option to erase and install. And it still does sound to me like there's something wrong on the CDDVD. Maybe a problem with the disc reader? I've had problems with dust in a drive before, can't remember how I fixed it though, that was a long time ago.

when i go to "manage disk partitions" in my system control it shows 3... i think? two are red "ext3" and one in the middle is green "swap"? The details are as follows:

#1:

Device: hda1

Type: Journalised FS: ext3

Size: 7.8GB (20%)

#2:

Device: hda5

Type: Linux swap

Size: 3.9GB (10%)

#3:

Device: hda6

Type: Journalised FS: ext3

Size: 26GB (69%)

I think the small one (#2) is the active one... Mandriva Live, and one must be windows, and the other the Mandriva that's already there... How do i do a clean format so I have no partition, and only one OS (Mandriva)?????

Has your disk been scratched? If this computer is being reformatted anyway, then just do another install. You should get something like "erase hard drive and install" in the Mandriva installer, which will reformat the entire hard drive and install Mandriva again. It should also reinstall GRUB. Since you partitions simply seem messed up, and from the sounds of it you don't have anything valuable on the disk anyway, it will be easier to reinstall than to mess around with configs, etc. and possibly bork the system even more.

Good luck! I'll be honest, I haven't used Mandriva in years (I left it back in the Mandrake days), but I remember there being an option to erase and install. And it still does sound to me like there's something wrong on the CDDVD. Maybe a problem with the disc reader? I've had problems with dust in a drive before, can't remember how I fixed it though, that was a long time ago.

I selected the "erase and install" when i installed mandriva yesterday, and I got a partition. I think there was a partition before I even touched the computer. If I erase and install again, will it still be there? and if so, how do i properly delete it?

The three partitions you've shown ^ are typical of a Linux installation - there's no indication of Windows here.

Partitions 1 and 3 are likely your root (/) and home (/username) partitions. Partition 2 is your swap partition (Linux uses a separate partition for its swap file).

As Mark suggested, to really see what going on we need more information. You seem to be entering commands into the "Run" box... that's not right. The phrase "open a terminal" means (in Windows-speak) open a command prompt. There should be an entry for some kind of terminal in your programs menu. Once in there, enter the fdisk command Mark suggested. Copy and paste the output here.

Yeah, i figured it out late last night. I'm not used to a system that partitions itsself off. It makes sense to me now that the system files, and all the important stuff would protect it's self in that way. Thanks to everyone's help, I think I've figured it out now.

^^^ For the record, Windows "partitions itself off", too.

Glad you got your PC booting again, though. (Y)

• 2 months later...

I have got the same error, when i installed ubuntu on my vista computer. only I haven't got any Vista-dvd, it came preinstalled on my laptop and i've lost my recovery disk... is there any chance i could use a xp-cd to bootfix? that would save my day...

I have got the same error, when i installed ubuntu on my vista computer. only I haven't got any Vista-dvd, it came preinstalled on my laptop and i've lost my recovery disk... is there any chance i could use a xp-cd to bootfix? that would save my day...

I am not sure Vista and XP have the same boot sector. :(

Borrow a friend's CD, perhaps, for a boot sector recovery?

• 3 weeks later...

i've got the same crc error, i.e. the one that says "crc error" and then on next line "system halted". i got this error when trying to boot into my recently installed ubuntu 8.10, which i installed on top of my Vista OS, using wubi-installer, which i downloaded from this link: http://www.wubi-installer.org

the OS worked fine for about a week, but a couple days ago, when i tried to boot into ubuntu again, i got that error! don't know what the problem is, and have asked about it at different places, but have got no solutions to my problem yet! i posted it on the ubuntu forums, but no one there knew what the hell was the problem...so i tried googling "crc error on wubi" and came up with this website!!! :(

i hope someone here can help with this problem, and fix my ubuntu, so that i can boot into it again soon!

Thanks in advance! :shiftyninja:

You choose the option of booting into Ubuntu from the Windows boot menu and it loads till the part of GRUB?

From the description it looks like the image where your Ubuntu installation is has some type of error.

You choose the option of booting into Ubuntu from the Windows boot menu and it loads till the part of GRUB?

From the description it looks like the image where your Ubuntu installation is has some type of error.

yes! when i try booting into ubuntu in the Windows boot menu, it loads up till the part of Grub...just like u said! :blink:

and my ubuntu installation is on top of my Vista OS...like i mentioned before! i used wubi-installer (http://www.wubi-installer.org) which installs ubuntu 8.10 like a regular Windows application...mine went to the C:/ drive, and created a folder called 'ubuntu', in which the OS was installed!

Hope this info helps someone figure out what the problem is... :cool: