Grub error 22

Do a reading on the Wubi Guide, specially this section:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#How%20can%20I%20access%20my%20Wubi%20install%20and%20repair%20my%20install%20if%20it%20won't%20boot?

Also see this page: http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lvpm.html

If all of that fails you may want to recover your files from the Ubuntu install image and start a fresh install.

This issue may have been caused by an error on the Windows partition, you may want to check that before attempting another Ubuntu install. Check the partition for errors and, if possible, check the fragmentation too.

Do a reading on the Wubi Guide, specially this section:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#How%20can%20I%20access%20my%20Wubi%20install%20and%20repair%20my%20install%20if%20it%20won't%20boot?

Also see this page: http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lvpm.html

If all of that fails you may want to recover your files from the Ubuntu install image and start a fresh install.

This issue may have been caused by an error on the Windows partition, you may want to check that before attempting another Ubuntu install. Check the partition for errors and, if possible, check the fragmentation too.

thanks...but how do i access my Wubi install and repair it, if i don't have a Ubuntu CD (which i don't!)??? i simply downloaded the wubi installer from http://www.wubi-installer.org, and used it to install Ubuntu 8.10, instead of using a CD! so what then?

Looking forward to ur reply...

You can borrow a CD from someone, download it or order it online, it's free.

In alternative you can use something like cygwin which has the necessary tools to make the task of mounting your Wubi image under Windows.

Hey dude, don't blame me. I understand your frustration, and how it must be to not be able to access your files.

But don't blame the guy who is simply trying to help you... :)

You can borrow a CD from someone, download it or order it online, it's free.

In alternative you can use something like cygwin which has the necessary tools to make the task of mounting your Wubi image under Windows.

Hey dude, don't blame me. I understand your frustration, and how it must be to not be able to access your files.

But don't blame the guy who is simply trying to help you... :)

ok..cool! and i wasn't blaming u! i'm sorry if i gave u that impression...lol! :D and do u happen to happen to have the site to go to to download the ubuntu CD thing?

thanks for all ur help!!! i really appreciate it! :shiftyninja:

ok...so i burned a ubuntu desktop CD, and after booting with it, opened up a terminal, and ran the commands suggested in the section of the Wubi Guide u directed me to, Lechio, and got all the way up to the "sudo mount -o loop /win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk /vdisk" command but i got a message saying there was no such file or directory named /vdisk! :unsure: or something to that effect! any idea why the command didn't work?

Thanks, and looking forward to ur reply...

yes, lechio! but i've already ran that command u just gave! *confused* it was one of the first commands given in the Wubi guide! as for replacing "win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk"...i'm not sure what u mean!

additional information: it was the command right before the "sudo mount -o loop..." one!

You need to create the directory "/vdisk":

sudo mkdir /vdisk

Also you have to replace "/win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk" with the path where you have your windows partition mounted.

and as far as i know, that is the correct path...i've even gone to the root.disk location in Windows OS, and can verify that it exists! :unsure: please don't take that as an insult...just trying to make myself clear! yo!

i'll try to copy the exact terminal output for u, when i try running the sudo mount -o loop command for u, if that will help any!

not sure why it didn't work...

So you say you have your Windows partition mounted on the "/win/" directory?

If that's so:

sudo mkdir /vdisk
cd /win/ubuntu/disks/
sudo mount -o loop root.disk /vdisk

That is the complete process for mounting the image if you do have your Windows partition mounted on the "/win/" directory.

You understand how mounting a partition works right?

OK. You have a device (HDD), that device is divided into partitions. Those partitions contain your data. To be able to access this data you need to mount them.

Type "man mount" for a full explanation of the command.

Now run:

This gives you information about your partitions.

sudo fdisk -l

This gives you information about what is currently mounted.

df

Copy and paste the output of those commands here.

ok...thanks, Lechio, for the explanation! i just got done running those commands u gave me, but the "cd /win/ubuntu/disks" one didn't work! i guess i was wrong about where the Windows partition was... MY BAD!!!

anyway, i'll be sure to copy and paste the terminal output of the commands above! ^

ok...so here's the terminal output for those two commands!

Output for “sudo fdisk -l”:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk identifier: 0x3c5a8d58

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/sda1 1 5 40131 de Dell Utility

/dev/sda2 6 1280 10240000 7 HPFS/NTFS

/dev/sda3 * 1280 38914 302290037+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

Output for “df”:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ df

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

tmpfs 2027008 2380 2024628 1% /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/volatile

tmpfs 2027008 0 2027008 0% /lib/init/rw

varrun 2027008 88 2026920 1% /var/run

varlock 2027008 0 2027008 0% /var/lock

udev 2027008 2924 2024084 1% /dev

tmpfs 2027008 128 2026880 1% /dev/shm

rootfs 2027008 87236 1939772 5% /

/dev/scd0 715810 715810 0 100% /cdrom

/dev/loop0 691712 691712 0 100% /rofs

tmpfs 2027008 12 2026996 1% /tmp

Ok, you have 2 NTFS partitions, "/dev/sda2" and "/dev/sda3". Windows looks to be installed in "/dev/sda3".

So to mount that you can do it with the file browser or via the terminal:

sudo mkdir /mnt/tmpsda3
sudo mkdir /vdisk

sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda3 /mnt/tmpsda3
cd /mnt/tmpsda3/ubuntu/disks/

Now browse with a file browser to the "/vdisk" directory. Your ubuntu image is located there with all your personal files in "/vdisk/home/yourUbuntuUserName"1. Backup those files some place where you wish to.

1.replace "yourUbuntuUserName" with your actual Ubuntu user name.

Ok, you have 2 NTFS partitions, "/dev/sda2" and "/dev/sda3". Windows looks to be installed in "/dev/sda3".

So to mount that you can do it with the file browser or via the terminal:

sudo mkdir /mnt/tmpsda3
sudo mkdir /vdisk

sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda3 /mnt/tmpsda3
cd /mnt/tmpsda3/ubuntu/disks/

Now browse with a file browser to the "/vdisk" directory. Your ubuntu image is located there with all your personal files in "/vdisk/home/yourUbuntuUserName"1. Backup those files some place where you wish to.

1.replace "yourUbuntuUserName" with your actual Ubuntu user name.

ok...so ur commands worked all the way up until "cd /mnt/tmpsda3/ubuntu/disks/, at which command the terminal said "no such file or directory". after that, i changed it a little bit and tried first going into the "mnt" folder

cd /mnt

which worked ok, and then from there i went to "tmpsda3"

cd tmpsda3

("cd /tmpsda3" or "cd /tmpsda3/" didn't work!)...the only error came when trying to 'cd' into /ubuntu/disks/, at which command i got the same error! it appears that there is nothing in "tmpsda3" because after obtaining that output, i put in:

ls

and it didn't show anything in it! :unsure:

looking forward to ur reply...

Coolname007

Edited by Coolname007

Haven't you made the directory "/mnt/tmpsda3"? Browse with a file browser to "/mnt" and see what directories are there.

"/mnt/tmpsda3" is just an example, you can use any other directory, use even the home directory if you want. Make a directory like "/home/ubuntu/tmpsda3" and mount the partition there.

Haven't you made the directory "/mnt/tmpsda3"?
yes! i typed in the command "sudo mkdir /mnt/tmpsda3", and it worked...i would not have been able to get in it otherwise! :D

additionally, r u absolutely sure that sda3 and not sda2 is the one where Windows is located? not dissing u, or anything, just wondering! yo! :blink:

OK... In the Gome menu > places, you see your partition. Click on it and it will automount somewhere in /media. Use the previously referred "df" command to know where it was mounted. Then just use that directory instead of "/mnt/tmpsda3".

additionally, r u absolutely sure that sda3 and not sda2 is the one where Windows is located? not dissing u, or anything, just wondering! yo!

No I am not sure, I've said it looked like it was installed there, because it is the active partition from where the system boots.

It's up to you to know where you have your windows installation, I don't read minds.

OK... In the Gome menu > places, you see your partition. Click on it and it will automount somewhere in /media. Use the previously referred "df" command to know where it was mounted. Then just use that directory instead of "/mnt/tmpsda3".

ok...thanks! i'll try that, and let u know if it works! thanks for all ur help! :D

No I am not sure, I've said it looked like it was installed there, because it is the active partition from where the system boots.

It's up to you to know where you have your windows installation, I don't read minds.

ok...no offense! i was just checking! yo! i'll try what u suggested, and then get back to u!

well...i finally completed the mounting process!!! i figured out what i was doing wrong...i tried the original commands from the Wubi Guide again, this time changing the "sda1" to "sda3, and it WORKED!!!! turns out that the Windows OS was in the /win directory, after all, in sda3! i should of thought of that before! my issue (wait...i mean issues!) now is copying my Home folder in Ubuntu into my Windows OS! it keeps saying that permission to "read" the folder is not allowed, and so wont let me copy it! i also tried booting into Ubuntu again (this is the second issue! :shifty:), hoping that it would work, since i ran the filesystem check with "sudo fsck /win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk" and it said that it had recovered a "journal", whatever that means...and so i was hoping that it would work! but...it DIDN'T!!! i still get the same crc error, which i can't figure out!

and so i need help with these two issues!

Thanks, and looking forward to ur reply... :(

Here's the complete output of the commands that i ran, and the results that i obtained:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ df

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

tmpfs 2027008 0 2027008 0% /lib/init/rw

varrun 2027008 88 2026920 1% /var/run

varlock 2027008 0 2027008 0% /var/lock

udev 2027008 2924 2024084 1% /dev

tmpfs 2027008 104 2026904 1% /dev/shm

rootfs 2027008 87232 1939776 5% /

/dev/scd0 715810 715810 0 100% /cdrom

/dev/loop0 691712 691712 0 100% /rofs

tmpfs 2027008 12 2026996 1% /tmp

/dev/sda3 302290036 95022316 207267720 32% /media/OS

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkdir /win

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda3 /win

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkdir /vdisk

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount -o loop /win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk /vdisk

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ /vdisk

bash: /vdisk: is a directory

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fsck /win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk

fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)

e2fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)

/win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk: recovering journal

/win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk: clean, 124039/855120 files, 784497/3417968 blocks

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

turns out that the Windows OS was in the /win directory

It was in the "/win" directory because you've mounted it there ("sudo mount /dev/sda3 /win"), don't just copy>paste the commands without understanding what you are doing.

First recover the files located in your home directory, don't copy the entire directory, just your important documents you wish to save. If you don't have permission to read those files, copy them with the sudo command or as root.

After all your files have been backed up, you may go and try to fix your install.

It was in the "/win" directory because you've mounted it there ("sudo mount /dev/sda3 /win"), don't just copy>paste the commands without understanding what you are doing.

First recover the files located in your home directory, don't copy the entire directory, just your important documents you wish to save. If you don't have permission to read those files, copy them with the sudo command or as root.

After all your files have been backed up, you may go and try to fix your install.

ahh...NOW i get it!!! that makes sense! ok...so how do i copy them with the sudo command or as root? and more importantly, how do i try to fix my install? do u have any suggestions for that?

Thanks in advance! :D

so how do i copy them with the sudo command or as root?

I've just reproduced this with an Ubuntu live CD and it allows me to browse to the user home directory, read and copy the files with the ubuntu default permissions...

If it doesn't allow you to read the files you could always run the file browser as root, by running the command:

gksu nautilus

Alternatively you can use terminal to copy your files by using the "cp" command. Do "man cp" to get more details on how the command works.

and more importantly, how do i try to fix my install? do u have any suggestions for that?

I cannot give you more details on how to fix your Wubi install than those that are available in the pages that I've referenced to you before. This issue never happened to me, so I wouldn't know how to go about fixing it. Maybe try to fscheck the other image "usr.disk", checking the boot options from grub, reinstalling grub. Just guesses here...

If I were you I would, after recovering my files, uninstall Wubi from Windows and make a fresh Ubuntu install using the Ubuntu CD.