Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bill Gates isn't too bothered by Piracy...

50 posts in this topic

Posted

I found this article to be very interesting, and in many ways, very sensible....I guess that is why he makes the big bucks.

Source: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-micr...,0,414067.story

Bill Gates on Piracy: "They'll get addicted, and then we'll collect"

Bill Gates may not be entirely dismayed by software thieves. They seed the world market and make Microsoft a standard.

By Charles Piller

Times Staff Writer

April 9, 2006

Microsoft Corp. estimates it lost about $14 billion last year to software piracy

Posted

i guess it makes sence....

although if u were a small software designer, trying to make some extra cash to increase ur living, and ur spending ur time and effort making it, that dosnt really work....

Posted

i guess it makes sence....

although if u were a small software designer, trying to make some extra cash to increase ur living, and ur spending ur time and effort making it, that dosnt really work....

you wont be pirated anyways

Posted

Microsoft's legal approach differs sharply with that of the music industry, which sues as if it were in the fight of its life, said John G. Palfrey Jr., director of the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School.

haha, well put.

Posted

Good ol' Microsoft - now why don't you completely forget about piracy (sice you have enough money anyway) and focus on more important things like making a good OS.

Posted

well if i was worth a sum in the billions, i wouldnt give 2 monkeys about piracy neither.

Posted

Good ol' Microsoft - now why don't you completely forget about piracy (sice you have enough money anyway) and focus on more important things like making a good OS.

Because if they don't fight it, more and more people will illegally obtain their products? This is a business, not a charity.

Posted

Thats what they are doing, and what they always have been doing. XP is a great OS in my mind, like any system it needs to be patched, but that doesn't make it not a good OS.

Posted

Because if they don't fight it, more and more people will illegally obtain their products? This is a business, not a charity.

I agree. It is right though that a small ammount of piracy makes your product more popular and in the future earns you more money. But you still have to stem it.

Posted

getting addicted makes you buy it ?

If anything, it got me addicted to warez and NOT paying for software - says someone else

Posted

Sounds like a good plan, I mean WGA was laugh that got cracked with 24 hours.

Posted

I'm glad I can use MSDN now... :) ...I don't have to pirate software anymore.

Posted

Sounds like a good plan, I mean WGA was laugh that got cracked with 24 hours.

Well thats just like saying "I'm just going to leave the keys in my car, and my doors unlocked in downtown LA. If someone is going to steal it, they're going to steal it and theres nothing I can do, so why try?"

Some protection is better than NO protection.

Posted

Now please, for gods sake remove activation!! :p

---

Microsoft Respect ++

Posted

"'If you think prices are high, blame the Chinese, because they are the thieves,'"

quote of the year.

Posted

[quote name='Bamsebj

Posted

You cant buy a retail PC without a copy of windows on it so 90% of people will purchase a copy of windows! I have 3 copies of XP Pro myself (provided when i got a job in a university) a copy of xp home on my laptop and my parents own media center edition. I used to run pirate copies of XP Pro on them all (apart from the laptop) and now they're all legal, which is something i didnt expect!

Posted

Microsoft says they work 5 days and get paid 3... judging by how late Vista is, out of every 5 days, they work 1 day and get paid for 3.

Claming they aren't working on Vista is showing your lack of understanding of the situation. I'm pretty sure the programmers working their asses off wouldn't appreciate that.

Posted

Well thats just like saying "I'm just going to leave the keys in my car, and my doors unlocked in downtown LA. If someone is going to steal it, they're going to steal it and theres nothing I can do, so why try?"

Hmmm, yes, and they will get addicted to your car and then buy one :shifty:

......... :no:

Posted

When JASC made PaintShopPro, the creator once said something along the lines of "I am aware that there are hundreds of thousands of copies that are non-registered, which could be seen as a lost sale. However, I look at it this way - everybody runs PaintShopPro"...

Yeah, that worked out well.

Anyhow, I'd not say MS are not bothered about piracy, more that they accept it as an evil that will always exist, and so are prepared to embrace the positive outcomes where possible.

Posted

Read that license agreement, all of the MSDN products are for evaluation and testing purposes only. If you use them commercially or as a retail version, then you are still pirating.

Microsoft says they work 5 days and get paid 3... judging by how late Vista is, out of every 5 days, they work 1 day and get paid for 3.

Someone needs more to develop satisfaction skills! Its an operating system, its not like - Oh you put the dough in the oven for 12 mins and the cookies are ready! :rolleyes:

Posted

He's walking the line between allowing continuted use of and dependency on his Windows & Office products (at a loss, due to piracy), and making money on sales by forcing people to buy genuine retail products.

He's got a good deal in the works, as reported on the Neowin Front Page by gettign legislation enacted to make it illegal to sell a PC without an operating system. It will be easier for him to get retailers/OEMs to bundle Windows than it will be to convince individual users to buy it.

Posted

I think MS is doing a pretty good job at lowering piracy each year. While the obvious "advanced" user can continue to download the newest WGA crack, it does eventually start to eliminate the more "common" user who may have had a friend install the corp edition on his pc and used to be able to get updates who is not as "savy" to get around the WGA. MS is hoping those users will purchase a new xp to avoid the hassle. I currently have 2 PC's, one running OEM Home and one running PRO(corp) and I already know that I will be purchasing Vista... so perhaps Mr Gates is right on this one....

Posted

This theory even works on a smaller scale. When I was a nipper...ok then, a few years ago while I was at university I couldn't afford all the latest software, but stil had an insance craving to keep up to date (stil got that craving!) now tho, I can afford the OS and all the tools I want so I buy them!

I have 1 pc running XP pro, 1 running XP home and 1 running server 2003 (that one hurt my wallet) all well worth the money - especially now that Microsoft seem to have left the "lets release an OS every other year" (Nightmare memories of ME) in the past.

Posted

Whatever.