Meet the browser: Opera Next

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Keeps running after you close the browser! Forum says to get more memory as Opera takes time to unload out of ram after playing online video. I tried to launch the browser 5 minutes after closing and get error "opera is already running". Open task manager and there it is! 2gigs of ram on 7x86 is not enough? I quote one of the main Opera guys:"10.60 was released with known bugs and 10.70 will have bugs to. You can't go from beta to a final release in 5 days or LESS! The developers are more focused on putting out builds that are faster than it's competitors and not caring about stable builds. There has not been one stable release since 10.10 and there are no plans for one in the future." Seems even the employees at Opera are open about the way their getting these high test score against Chromium. Who wants a browser that does not fix the bugs in their current builds? 10.7 is the start of a fix of all the screwed up things in 10.6. I can't believe anyone uses this CRAP! No extension, no real plugin structure, endless crashes, give it up. Theirs more than just being fast.

Keeps running after you close the browser! Forum says to get more memory as Opera takes time to unload out of ram after playing online video. I tried to launch the browser 5 minutes after closing and get error "opera is already running". Open task manager and there it is! 2gigs of ram on 7x86 is not enough? I quote one of the main Opera guys:"10.60 was released with known bugs and 10.70 will have bugs to. You can't go from beta to a final release in 5 days or LESS! The developers are more focused on putting out builds that are faster than it's competitors and not caring about stable builds. There has not been one stable release since 10.10 and there are no plans for one in the future." Seems even the employees at Opera are open about the way their getting these high test score against Chromium. Who wants a browser that does not fix the bugs in their current builds? 10.7 is the start of a fix of all the screwed up things in 10.6. I can't believe anyone uses this CRAP! No extension, no real plugin structure, endless crashes, give it up. Theirs more than just being fast.

Wow. Wall of text, anyone?

You seem to be missing the point of snapshots. They are supposed to be the bleeding edge. Just like Chrome or Firefox nightlies. There's even a huge, red warning telling you to expect problems. It's kind of pointless to whine about it after being warned that they are supposed to be unstable because they are under active development!

• 1 month later...

There haven't been a lot of Opera weeklies during the past summer. The ones that are being put out are just minor site fixes (and they crash more often). Starting from the fall there could be a few major additions to the browser, if you follow these tweets. Notably this one:

The list so far: 1) one of my favourites, 2) significant new feature, 3) Windows-related improvement.

As for "Windows-related improvement," I'm hoping said improvement would be a hardware rendering backend for Vega.

Most recent snapshot for 10.70 (version number not finalized, it may jump to 11) is here. Support for PowerPC Macs has been dropped starting from this build, so no more universal binaries.

• 2 weeks later...

Something interesting to look for in the newest build:

newbookmarkbar.png

It's about time the bookmark bar (since renamed from 'personal bar') got moved down there.

Link: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/09/15/hello-bookmarks-bar

Yeah I have never used the personal bar because of how misplaced it was (although speeddial negates my usage of bookmarks toolbar anyway)

Yay, a properly functioning bookmarks toolbar! I was stuck using the Personal Bar at the bottom, and hated it, but really needed my 15 or so bookmarks to be there all of the time. The new placement is soooooo much better.

i prefer the old personal bar with only icons!!

any of you guys,know anything about releasing opera in 64bit and/or gpu acceleration?

i think opera left behind:(

i prefer the old personal bar with only icons!!

any of you guys,know anything about releasing opera in 64bit and/or gpu acceleration?

i think opera left behind:(

You can easily restore the old personal bar to its original position; there are instructions in the blog post. To make it icons only just right click the bar, go to Appearance, and under 'Style' select 'Images only.'

GPU acceleration should be available in the near future. I still have yet to think of other things that can be categorized as a "Windows-related improvement" besides this.

You can easily restore the old personal bar to its original position; there are instructions in the blog post. To make it icons only just right click the bar, go to Appearance, and under 'Style' select 'Images only.'

GPU acceleration should be available in the near future. I still have yet to think of other things that can be categorized as a "Windows-related improvement" besides this.

thank you,but i already have the old personal bar showing only the icons! :)

there are many things that many people would like to see in opera.for example what Tamil suggests and also Z1-Glass should be the default theme for opera!! ;)

and also,i still don't see the purpose of the new bookmark tool bar.

its almost the same with the old personal bar,with no text showing and the icons are a bit bigger.

when my bookmarks in my old personal bar already covers the 80% of it,the new bookmark toolbar covers 100%.

no reason for me to use it

and also,i still don't see the purpose of the new bookmark tool bar.

its almost the same with the old personal bar,with no text showing and the icons are a bit bigger.

when my bookmarks in my old personal bar already covers the 80% of it,the new bookmark toolbar covers 100%.

no reason for me to use it

As previously mentioned above, the old personal bar didn't fit in well with the new 10.5x+ user interface. The titlebar had to be turned back on, and even then the glass background on the bookmark/personal bar made the labels a little hard to read.

As previously mentioned above, the old personal bar didn't fit in well with the new 10.5x+ user interface. The titlebar had to be turned back on, and even then the glass background on the bookmark/personal bar made the labels a little hard to read.

This. It just looked HORRIBLE and out of place IMO. Looks far better now.

Something to think about for a second, regarding this tweet.

The current builds are given the number '10.70' but this guy, as head of the desktop QA team, says there is no 10.70. Previous blog posts on the Desktop Team stated they were not sure what to call the new version, but used 10.70 for the time being. They also threw around a "Opera.next" name around. This might indicate they're ready to jump to version 11, and with that major feature additions.

many people suspect this major feature is gpu acceleration!!

also check this out,

i dont think we will wait to much!already passed 1 and half month since then ;)

many people suspect this major feature is gpu acceleration!!

also check this out,

i dont think we will wait to much!already passed 1 and half month since then ;)

I hope it is add on support in addition! Maybe even a way to use all of the latest firefox add ons! That would be incredible! Doubt it though.

Something interesting to look for in the newest build:

newbookmarkbar.png

It's about time the bookmark bar (since renamed from 'personal bar') got moved down there.

Link: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/09/15/hello-bookmarks-bar

I personally like the bookmarks bar at the bottom of the page.

In my opinion (which may be a little silly), it doesn't make sense directly under the tabs, as stuff under the tabs should be stuff related to the current page. Although, having said that, I do think that placement looks a little better than sitting at the top of the window. :p

• 2 weeks later...

Font fixes for *nix / The latest 10.70 build

Looks like a minor build at first, but on say Ubuntu the browser finally has font rendering similar to the rest of the OS. Looks great (Y)

post-99705-12872654893552.png

(on an unrelated note, Firefox's menus flicker quite a bit when desktop composition is turned on)