Meet the browser: Opera Next

• 4 weeks later...

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2009/...peregrine-build

New Peregrine build

由 haavard. Tuesday, 10. March 2009, 20:51:34

We've finally got a new snapshot available for testing. As always, try to keep the comments on-topic. If you are wondering what, where and how you should post, take a look at the FAQ.

WARNING: This is a development snapshot: it contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.[/color]

What's new?

This time around there are lots of fixes all over. Some things are work in progress, such as the spell checking feature (see the changelog).

Mail database corruption check

In this build, Opera will also check the mail database for corruption on startup. If one of the files is found to be not consistent, Opera will try to recover that file. You can find information about how the process went in the recovery.log file in the mail folder. At the moment, this consistency check happens on every startup, and will delay the startup a bit. This is going to be improved in future builds, and the consistency check will likely happen for every update or on a monthly schedule.

Known issues

Sending private messages at Facebook doesn't work

Spelling checker isn't working (moving to the Hunspell API)

Mail corruption recovery: The lexicon file will not be deleted and reindexed

The names in the online feed dropdown are not showing correctly in the feed preview page

General changelog

Core fixes (including fixes for getElementsByClassName, which should now work with multiple classes in className)

Regex \b is now correctly not matching the point between a letter and underscore

Several autoupdate fixes (disabling it should work now)

Several stability fixes

Fixed Facebook chat

Some UI cleanup and polishing (moved "Remove From Toolbar" and other toolbar customization options into a submenu, added the ability to reset toolbar customization, and the mail spinner should look better)

Fixed search field crash

Added more online feed readers to the feed preview page

Mail

Mails can now have horizontal scrollbars

Fixes to mail compose - and adding links to HTML mails should now work fine

Added a recovery mechanism for corrupt mail databases

Fixed feed progress stuck on non-existent resources

Attachments in multipart/mixed part of multipart/alternative mail are now correctly displayed

Windows

Fixes for font fallback problems, particularly for those using Russian as their default language in Windows

Unix

Fixed painting of windowless plugins

Java now works again!

Mac

Fixed position of plugin windows

Fixed crash on startup in Mac OS X 10.4

New Dock menu items

Download

Windows

Windows Classic

Macintosh (Universal)

Macintosh (Intel-only)

UNIX

I guess the weekly is becoming monthly :shiftyninja:

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2009/...peregrine-build

I guess the weekly is becoming monthly :shiftyninja:

I just downloaded 1345 (the latest) and surprise, it has not crashed once unlike their public betas. But I am sad to see that their spell check is not working. Opera is way behind the times and integrated spell check is the biggest thing missing in a browser in the past two years. I have actually started using other browsers because I can't spell all so great and I do not want to cut and paste my twitter posts from Word all the time since their previously way of spell checking was so terrible.

Hopefully the final 10.0 comes out soon. Other features that need to be added are.

Private windows (is Opera too proud to copy others?)

Multi processed tabs

Ability to export toolbar settings or sync them online (the default is terrible down to the theme)

Did I mention spell check?

• 2 weeks later...
I just downloaded 1345 (the latest) and surprise, it has not crashed once unlike their public betas. But I am sad to see that their spell check is not working. Opera is way behind the times and integrated spell check is the biggest thing missing in a browser in the past two years...

Opera 10 will include a spell check engine, but it doesn't work in the current build (that was a known issue when they made the build public. See http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2009/...peregrine-build)

(Opera 9.50 already used aspell for spell checking, by the way...)

• 2 weeks later...

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2009/04/03/turbo-in-10

Turbo in 10

由 huibk. Friday, 3. April 2009, 14:12:52

peregrine, crashlogs, pleasebackup, turbo

Opera Turbo included in 10

If you have a laptop, use slow wifi or mobile networks it's time to start using Opera 10 snapshots: Opera Turbo is now included! Since the labs release, a number of improvements have been implemented

• We introduced a new (experimental ) Turbo setting: Automatic. If you enable this feature Opera will turn on Turbo when the network is slow. You can enable automatic mode in the Web Pages tab in the preference dialog. Opera will also show you a special notification when you are on a slow network and Turbo is not yet on.
  • Fixes to downloading of images
  • Impossible to click links on some sites
  • Gmail problems solved
  • Improved performance

New file layout in installation and profile directories

Traditionally the files installed by the Opera installer are named and layout differently per platform. For instance on Mac, preferences are stored in "Opera 9 Preferences" while on Unix and Windows this file is called "opera6.ini". In Opera 10 these differences will disappear. If you upgrade to this snapshot, the files will be renamed and moved to the new location.

WARNING: Please only test upgrading if you have backed up your Opera profile!

Known bugs when upgrading:

• favicons are missing after upgrade
  • speeddials are empty after upgrade

New sprelling cshecker

In this snapshot Opera now uses the hunspell library as spelling checker. This provides better spelling suggestions and improves compatibility with several dictionaries.

Crashlog reporting, now on Linux!

In the previous post on this blog we asked you to upload crashlogs generated by Opera. Please continue to send logs, several crashes have been fixed thanks to your help!

Linux builds now also automatically create crash logs. You can find them in /var/tmp

WARNING: This is a development snapshot: it contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.

Download

Turbo is interesting but buggy. On my 6mb connection here it was activating when set to auto and reducing image resolution drastically.

Yeah, it will reduce the image quality no matter what if turned on. I turned it off after trying for a bit (21 mb connection here) but it still likes to bug me, saying that my internet is slow and would benefit from turbo when the only thing that really slows down page loading is script execution locks that have occurred lately for me.

• 1 month later...
Auto-updated already?

By Rijk. Wednesday, 13. May 2009, 11:18:48

peregrine, oldnewface, AUTOUPDATE

A new face on the blog! Well, not really new, I've been part of the inventory at Opera for longer than most other team members

Anyway, here's the latest snapshot. This time, we've told the auto-update server before posting here. Everyone with the option opera:config#AutoUpdate|DownloadAllSnapshots checked should get the new build automatically (or be informed, in the case of Unix/Linux users) when going to Help > Check for updates, or after 24 hours of running Opera, or after restarting Opera if it didn't check in the hour before restarting. Please use this method of updating so we can test our systems

We still recommend regular backups of your profile, but everything should just keep working now if you upgrade from 9.6x to this latest build. If you still see problems with some profile data not getting migrated correctly to the new locations, please tell us! The only thing that will not get migrated are manual additions you might have made to the old operadef6.ini files.

Known Issues

The license dialog when adding languages to the spelling checker is work in progress, it is not usable yet

[DSK-250495] Linux: Spellcheck no longer working in some Linux distributions (Mandriva, Fedora) after recent changes to locations of configuration files.

Changelog

Highlights

New context menu on the Turbo button

Core

Reverted [CORE-17828] GetBoxRect gives incorrect result for inline which contains block (caused the regression with empty anchors)

[CORE-6713] Absolutely positioned sibling of a relatively positioned child of a block with overflow hidden is not visible until all text is selected

[CORE-19778] Scripting does not resume if embed is replaced with CSS "content" property (stream.cz)

[CORE-20253] Facebook links wrap to new lines with Norwegian layout

[CORE-20438] Query stripped from hash - mobile books on Google does not work properly

[CORE-20596] portal.cyberjapan.jp never stops loading with Delayed Script Execution enabled

[CORE-132609] Nested absolutely positioned element disappears if ancestor has non-visible overflow

[CORE-12143] Incorrect cursor behaviour when 'moving back' in a RTL textarea

[CORE-20179] User can use spellchecker to retrieve passwords

UI

Work on license dialog for spell checking dictionary downloads

Crash logging: Some improvements and rollbacks to crash upload dialog, startup will NOT be skipped

Increased the width of the inline find pop-up

[DSK-249030] (null) in the server security icon instead of server name

[DSK-249277] Server name button in authentication dialog gives info for originating URL

Mail

[DSK-246549] Kill the lexicon file if it's corrupted, and let it be reindexed

BitTorrent

[DSK-252091] "Use system default" dropdown in the BitTorrent download dialog should be inactive when that radio button isn't selected

[DSK-252084] BitTorrent dialog only works the first time you click a torrent link

Opera Turbo

Added info menu item in Turbo context menu

Changed Turbo info URL

Tweaks to the detection of slow connections

Small fix for Turbo not enabling when clicked

Dragonfly

[CORE-15825] Crash in DOM inspector when inspecting document object with 'node' setting

Unix

Prefs setting to control display of crash dialog

[DSK-228856] Address field not updated on redirect for tab opened in the background): Don't handle focus different for unix desktop

[DSK-251817] Crash when opening menus

[DSK-251930] Linux builds do not upload any crashlogs

Mac

[DSK-252561] Flash content loses its position when scrolling

WARNING: This is a development snapshot: it contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.

Download

Windows MSI / Windows Classic

Macintosh (Intel-only) / Macintosh (Universal)

UNIX/Linux

This one seems to be snappier and more responsive for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Still the same

Bugs in engine too ( Check the Tab in the wikipedia page )

This is @ Win 7 with full WDDM 1.1 drivers.

IE 8 is even better in this than Chromium, but close. ( IE 8 uses haevily Directwrite optimizations and more )

post-272706-1244041072_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Turbo is interesting but buggy. On my 6mb connection here it was activating when set to auto and reducing image resolution drastically.

That's kind of the point. Turbo compresses stuff. You don't need it on your fast connection.

I use Turbo on my 4 MB ADSL frequently, if I download with large bandwidth. It reduces the demand on bandwidth, so my downloading can be very undisturbed and fast.

I found Turbo is only useful on dialup connections when needed. If you have a broadband connection, whether it is simple dsl or a cable connection, tubro does speed up a few pages but at the same time reduces the quality of images you would have otherwise received at a high resolution.

Also in my sig, the link to "Opera Weekly Builds" let's you try the latest release of Opera (with Unite included).

By kristine. Thursday, 9. July 2009, 11:14:08

Hi!

My name is Kristine and I'm in Desktop QA doing first-line bug testing on Windows. I've been working at Opera since 2006, but i've used Opera all my life. In fact, it was the first browser I ever used

This new snapshot contains stability fixes based on crashers reported by users. Other highlights are Unite fixes and skin fixes such as updated icons. On Mac, admin password is no longer needed when reporting crashes. On 64-bit Linux, Opera will find plugins more easily.

There is also a new design for error pages, fraud warning page and internal pages so upgrade and check out the new opera:about and error page design.

Enjoy!

Highlights

New design for info panel, error pages, internal pages (e.g., opera:about), and fraud warning page

Skin fixes, including updated icons

Stability fixes

Unite fixes

Admin password is no longer needed when reporting crashes on Mac

Improved plugin detection on 64-bit Liux

Known Issues

opera:drives and opera:historysearch not yet updated to new design

The bottom (white) part of the new error pages might not load every time

The skin is still work in progress

Some Unix builds may be missing, but most of them will be continuously uploaded

WARNING: This is a development snapshot: It contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.

Download

Windows MSI / Windows Classic

Macintosh (Intel-only) / Macintosh (Universal)

UNIX/Linux

Read more...

Comments

//From July 9, 2009

I like how the builds are coming along. The skin looks pretty darn nice at this point. The native skin still looks a bit butchered for Windows.

The new icon - if that's it - looks okay. A bit rough on the edges though.

More Than Beta 2

By manooh. Thursday, 16. July 2009, 09:00:00

server, snapshot, unite, beta ...

Hi, I'm Manuela and I'm yet another first-time poster. And I'm a Desktop UI developer by the bye :)

I was mostly working on Opera Unite the last couple of months, so it's nice to see it being public now, getting real-life feedback on it. Currently, we are making an effort to polish the feature. We are ironing out some smaller UI glitches, and are making Opera Unite even more usable.

In this build, you'll find everything that Opera 10.00 beta 2 has, plus Opera Unite. Due to remaining issues with the Opera Unite infrastructure, it has been decided that Unite isn't quite ready for beta yet. But don't worry, we're working hard to fix it :)

The crash logger has been improved and now works on Mac.

Important: Mac users, if you have submitted crash logs using the crash logger in previous builds, please re-submit them. We changed the format of the log, and old logs cannot be parsed.

Enjoy the snapshot!

Highlights:

• Jon Hicks has been working hard polishing the new skin
  • The error pages are now less red :)
  • Plus many many more fixes...

WARNING: This is a development snapshot: It contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.

Download

Read more...

103 Comments

New snapshot, new possibilities

By olli. Tuesday, 21. July 2009, 12:56:00

We are currently working on major improvements to the Unite proxy servers, but to achieve that we also needed to do some fixes in the client.

Now we will continue to test the Opera Unite infrastructure fixes internally and hopefully deploy the fixes on the live server soonish :-)

We are also continuing on polishing Opera 10 so it will become the most stable release eva

Highlights

• Work on new Unite proxy (client part)
  • Crash logging is working on Mac
  • More bugfixing, stability work and skin work

Download

Read more...

134 Comments

Opera keeps getting better and better! I like the direction they are going with Unite! :cool:

The new skin rocks!... and the browser it's even faster!

Great to see that they are working really hard on ensuring a top quality release, they are doing a quiet awesome job with Opera 10