PS3 nearly cracked?

Any respect I may of had for you just dissolved, Halo 2 isn't a great game, looks pretty, but is just an FPS, nothing original, Halo 1 was original due to its physics etc, but the warthog was a bitch to drive.

Sorry, not a great gaming franchise.

Couldn't agree more. Perhaps the hype surrounding the game hurt my experience, but I was not all that impressed with Halo. Sure, it was fun, but nothing special. Standard good (not great) FPS stuff.

I'm sorry, but there are a lot of hugely fundamental problems with the PSP. The simple fact that you think of it as "great" removes much of your credibility regarding unbiased analysis. (Note that being a fan boy is different from being biased, IMO.)

The thing I like about PSP the most, other than the ability to play games, yes despite most of them being mini PS2 titles, is that I can play/watch movies on it.

Oh like I said, I am a fan boy, and make no bones about it, but no where have you seen me out right attack XBox/360 etc, I've not said once that MS should pack their bags and head to the sun, you on the other hand... :)

ok, this topic really appears to be a flame fest as to if PS3 or xbox is better but now on topic...

allowing linux on the PS3 is a wise move by sony, it'll stop the real geeks who want homebrew on their consoles trying to hack it, as they already have linux which does enough. linux also makes the PS3 no closer to getting HDD bootable games... the main problem for anyone trying to launch games off the HDD is that if they're using linux then they'll have to port the PS3 OS to linux or emulate it, one way being damn hard and the other being significantly slower. the games aren't written to run in linux as well, they use the sony API to run and only that. the only reason you can dump games is because linux for PS3 supports the blu-ray drive, but it doesn't support PS3 code. i doubt it'll be possible to write a program that accesses the PS3 OS ROM from linux either, the cell is bound to have some security against that. all in all i can't really see booting games too far off, but a group might've found a security hole already if they're lucky, there have been enough holes in the PSP.

...but no where have you seen me out right attack XBox/360 etc, I've not said once that MS should pack their bags and head to the sun, you on the other hand... :)

I've not attacked Sony in any way. I've made some simple, common sense analyses of their situation, but that's not an attack. However, I do want Sony to fail miserably, simply because I hate when a company becomes so arrogant that it "knows" precisely what the consumer wants, even when it's obvious that they're nowhere close to the mark. I also have a strong dislike for Sony's inability to learn from their many mistakes regarding attempts at creating a proprietary format. It hasn't worked in the past, and it's not going to work this time.

ok, this topic really appears to be a flame fest as to if PS3 or xbox is better but now on topic...

allowing linux on the PS3 is a wise move by sony, it'll stop the real geeks who want homebrew on their consoles trying to hack it, as they already have linux which does enough. linux also makes the PS3 no closer to getting HDD bootable games... the main problem for anyone trying to launch games off the HDD is that if they're using linux then they'll have to port the PS3 OS to linux or emulate it, one way being damn hard and the other being significantly slower. the games aren't written to run in linux as well, they use the sony API to run and only that. the only reason you can dump games is because linux for PS3 supports the blu-ray drive, but it doesn't support PS3 code. i doubt it'll be possible to write a program that accesses the PS3 OS ROM from linux either, the cell is bound to have some security against that. all in all i can't really see booting games too far off, but a group might've found a security hole already if they're lucky, there have been enough holes in the PSP.

I would imagine it would have something to do like the Xbox loading a "cracked" BIOS at boot. There will probably be a similarly reverse engineered OS that the game thinks it's running on the PS3.

linux also makes the PS3 no closer to getting HDD bootable games... the main problem for anyone trying to launch games off the HDD is that if they're using linux then they'll have to port the PS3 OS to linux or emulate it, one way being damn hard and the other being significantly slower. the games aren't written to run in linux as well, they use the sony API to run and only that. the only reason you can dump games is because linux for PS3 supports the blu-ray drive, but it doesn't support PS3 code. i doubt it'll be possible to write a program that accesses the PS3 OS ROM from linux either, the cell is bound to have some security against that. all in all i can't really see booting games too far off, but a group might've found a security hole already if they're lucky, there have been enough holes in the PSP.

I trust Team Xecuter more than I do Sony. If they say they are close, they are close.

And what exactly has Sony said about this? :unsure:

Nothing. I am stating the fact that I feel team xecuter is trustworthy and I compared them to another company that I feel is not.

They are probably keeping schtum to see how :p

That would be a first.

It's true. If Team Xecuter says they are close, you can bet it'll be possible to do it within a few months at the latest. :yes:

20gb's on a 2mbit cable connection will take OVER a day atleast.. thats not practical at all.

Im not sayin there wont be piracy but to combat that, sony will have 20gb games..

And there will always be people to buy games as well, not everyone will wait 14 hours to have a 20gb game and have a freaking BLUE RAY burner to burn them, not atleast for a year.

You won't need to download 20GB of data. Games put on Blu-Ray use very little compression, if any, and even then the games use a lot of 'filler' bits for padding (see: Resistance as a prime example). So games will be very well compressed, then sent over p2p services and then uncompressed onto one's local PS3 HDD. The only obstacle in this whole thing is the capacity of the PS3's HDD, which conveniently enough is upgradeable. :p

Any way you slice it, this is bad news for Game Developers, and in turn, Sony.

It's true. If Team Xecuter says they are close, you can bet it'll be possible to do it within a few months at the latest. :yes:

You won't need to download 20GB of data. Games put on Blu-Ray use very little compression, if any, and even then the games use a lot of 'filler' bits for padding (see: Resistance as a prime example). So games will be very well compressed, then sent over p2p services and then uncompressed onto one's local PS3 HDD. The only obstacle in this whole thing is the capacity of the PS3's HDD, which conveniently enough is upgradeable. :p

Any way you slice it, this is bad news for Game Developers, and in turn, Sony.

Yes, lets look at Resistance and padding files - yes, there were padding files.

But they were NO WHERE NEAR 17,5gb

They were 420mb of padding files (OH MY GOOOD! :o))

I like how you Sony haters completely ignore good news and take bad news for facts :rolleyes:

http://mmm.joystiq.com/2006/11/26/resistan...5gb-of-garbage/

Now slap yourself

Yes, lets look at Resistance and padding files - yes, there were padding files.

But they were NO WHERE NEAR 17,5gb

They were 420mb of padding files (OH MY GOOOD! :o))

I like how you Sony haters completely ignore good news and take bad news for facts :rolleyes:

http://mmm.joystiq.com/2006/11/26/resistan...5gb-of-garbage/

Now slap yourself

Did I even mention the size of the padding files that are on the Resistance disk? No, I didn't. You also fail to realize that it's 420MB of padding files per region and a lot of the data is similar and/or duplicated per region. When pirating the disc, one won't need to include the data not pertinent to desired region and certainly won't need to include the 420MB of padding files. This will easily minimize the filesize and compression will help even more, therefore the argument that "20 GB" is just too much to pirate is effectively negated.

Now stop calling people "Sony haters" because they don't bold the "good news". Get over yourself, please. :rolleyes:

thread closed until i can clean it. some people will be getting a lovely PM from me shortly

thread re-opened. Gaming forum restrictions exist. If people keep acting up, they may find their privileges in this forum revoked

Edited by bangbang023