New version of cell running at 6ghz!

Usually news from International Solid State Circuits Conference would leave us a little cold, however, a snippet of news has caught our attention. This relates to a 1:30pm meeting on Tuesday February 13th entitled: ?18.1 Implementation of the CELL Broadband Engine in a 65nm SOI Technology? ? specifically that:

? The chip operates at 6GHz at 1.3V and is fabricated in a 65nm CMOS SOI technology.

The CELL Broadband Engine is, of course, better known simply at ?The Cell processor? and is used in the PlayStation 3 (as well as IBM?s Blade servers and some HD TVs). The Cell currently powering the PS3 runs at 3.2GHz and is fabricated on 90-nano-metre (nm) Silicon On Insulator (SOI) tech.

We read on:

?The 65nm CELL Broadband Engine design features a dual power supply, which enhances SRAM stability and performance using an elevated array-specific power supply, while reducing the logic power consumption. Hardware measurements demonstrate low-voltage operation and reduced scatter of the minimum operating voltage.?

We were then drawn to the people attending the conference. Tucked in alongside IBM and Toshiba delegates, was an S. Tokito. We looked more closely to discover that S. Tokito was visiting from Austin, Texas ? specifically from Sony Computer Entertainment in Austin, Texas.

Could this be Shizuo Tokito? A man whose name is writ large on several papers regarding blue light emitting diodes (Blue Rays)? Quite possibly. Now, there?s only really one connection between the Cell processor and Blue Ray ? although they don?t communicate directly with each other, they do co-exist within the confines of Sony?s enormous, hot and heavy PlayStation 3.

Therefore, a knee-jerk reaction to this could be that Sony is readying the next-gen-Next-Gen PS3 with a buff new processor running at twice the speed of the current unit. The form-factor of such a new unit would also be smaller; the heat emissions would be less? all in all, you?d have a PS3 v.2 which would not require most of your sitting room to place it in. But, as we say, that?s knee-jerk.

This strikes us as more than unlikely ? with problems with current PS3 production, the idea of two PS3s on the market would be disastrous.

More possible (notice that we are not saying, ?likely?) would be for the new processor to be slotted into the existing PS3 and running at the current clock-speed. This would give a performance increase while cooling the system.

Another reaction could be that the company will be placing the new 6Ghz cell in the AV-centric PS3 mooted by Ken Kutaragi last December ? and poo-pooed by the rest of the world as the ramblings of the ?father of PlayStation?.

Final reactions could, of course, be that the conference organisers got Tokito-san?s company wrong ? that this is not Shizuo at all, but some other Japanese uber-scientist who works with Sony?s HD-TV group instead; or even works with NHK.

News Source: Spong

Good grief guys, it says right in the article:

The Cell currently powering the PS3 runs at 3.2GHz and is fabricated on 90-nano-metre (nm) Silicon On Insulator (SOI) tech.

Sure, it might go into an AV Centric PS3, but they're already having problems selling a PS3 for $600, much less $2500 like Ken wants for this AV Centric one.

I seriously doubt even Sony would make the mistake of putting a 6GHz chip into a normal PS3.

-Spenser

Even I gotta say "I'll believe it when I see it."

Isn't the cell now running at 2.8 Ghz?

The Cell in the PS3 runs at 3.2Ghz.

Sony won't put a 6Ghz Cell in the PS3, the only thing they may do is (as the report mentions) use the newer version Cell but down-clock it to 3.2Ghz so the CPU uses less power and generates less heat.

Assuming production costs come down I could see this replacing the chip in the PS3. It would run at the same speed of course (3.2 GHz) but the lower power consumption and smaller die-size would reduce heat output, and possibly (hopefully) prices of the overall system.

A 65nm chip could reduce costs, you're right, so I wouldn't be surprised if they put it in and put a cap on it. In fact, doing such a thing would mean it'd be cheaper and easier to put it into other products (i.e. VAIO Laptops, Bravia TVs).

Did Sony just get something GOOD to happen to them, finally? Hahaha...

Hmm... I had read on one of those "OH NOES! SONY F'K'D UP AGAIN" articles that the Cell was actually running @ 2.8 or 3.0, and that the RSX was running around 50 Mhz slower than Sony had originally said it would.

What will actually help more than anything is that IBM and Toshiba are also marketing the hell out of the Cell (Toshiba in HDTV's, and IBM in Blade servers) which should help bring the price down as well.

Assuming production costs come down I could see this replacing the chip in the PS3. It would run at the same speed of course (3.2 GHz) but the lower power consumption and smaller die-size would reduce heat output, and possibly (hopefully) prices of the overall system.

Yeah I think so as well, Sony could very well be planning to do the similar thing as MS are planning with Xbox 360 v2.

There is no chance in hell there will be a PS3 v2 running at 6Ghz, so just forget about it guys :p main reason being it will never be utilized, as game developers must target the lowest denominator (that been the 3.2Ghz PS3 v1) and even if there were any PS3 games that utilized the 6Ghz PS3 v2, there would be a massive backlash over it. Basically releasing a 6Ghz PS3 v2 would be suicide for Sony.

So as John and a few others have said, this news most likely means Sony might create a PS3 v2 with a 65nm CELL (still running at the current 90nm CELL speed) that will reduce power drain, heat and (hopefully) price.

Well it'd make sense for Sony to switch to a better fab process to improve yields, and lower power consumption = less heat, which is a good thing for us gamers. Plus, with Sony increasing yields of Cell processors, a price cut in the future seems more likely.

sounds very possible indeed.
Hmm... I had read on one of those "OH NOES! SONY F'K'D UP AGAIN" articles that the Cell was actually running @ 2.8 or 3.0, and that the RSX was running around 50 Mhz slower than Sony had originally said it would.

its running 3.2Ghz. Go read the FCC report on PS3 if you don't believe us lol.

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/bl...tive_or_pdf=pdf

Edited by Digix

you cant ADD the speeds of the cores, Platinum. Plus, following that logic, the PS3 would be more powerful because it has more cores ;) . Anyway, I think this new technology will bring the price of the current PS3 down. I dont think we need more than is currently provided in the PS3. So if there is a choice between a $300 3.2ghz and a $600 6.0ghz, im goin cheap ;)

you cant ADD the speeds of the cores, Platinum. Plus, following that logic, the PS3 would be more powerful because it has more cores ;) . Anyway, I think this new technology will bring the price of the current PS3 down. I dont think we need more than is currently provided in the PS3. So if there is a choice between a $300 3.2ghz and a $600 6.0ghz, im goin cheap ;)

shhh... they still think santa exits... :santa:

just keep a low profile... :shiftyninja:

This would be an interesting response to MS alleged home server system....

A revised PS3 (the fabled PS4 maybe?) running a hypervisor enabled/ VM / partitioned system, allowing Linux to serve media to remote devices while simultaneously allowing video games to be played in another system partition at full speed.