Sony is lying too much to portray success

It's starting to get frustrating to cover Sony. From being misleading in their Emmy press-releases and then pulling the evidence, to switching their stated manufacturing goals, I just can't keep the stories straight. The Emmy thing was okay?we all make mistakes, and perhaps Sony just jumped to a few conclusions. But the issue of Motorstorm's resolution is much thicker and smacks of negligence.

It's not like the gaming press made up the 1080p, 60fps Motorstorm story by ourselves. Sony employees were telling the press that would be the resolution and the framerate. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt, and say the people running the televisions at trade shows may get their facts wrong. Of course, the Senior Vice-President of Marketing for your company should know better.

In the CES keynote, which you can watch here, Peter Dille states that we'll see Motorstorm at 1080p running at 60fps. He makes this point strongly, in an attempt to prove the power of the PS3, before telling us it's the only "true" high definition system on the market. I would say that point is arguable at best, but there is no doubt he was selling Motorstorm as an example of their 1080p content.

After all that buzz, they're now saying Motorstorm will be at 720p and run at 30fps. At least according to SCEA. Then again, at this stage who do you believe? I don't even think Sony knows anymore.

Mr. Dille also says they hit their goal of shipping 1 million systems in that speech. Since when was that their goal? We reported on what their actual goal was: they wanted 4 million by the end of the year, and 2 million at launch. That was then brought down to 2 million shipped when they talked to the press. When was it ever 1 million? Engadget has an even more damning interview with Peter Dille. Let me repeat that he is the Senior Vice-President of Marketing. He should know better than to give a keynote that directly contradicts his own interviews:

Engadget: So, you think you're still on track for 2 million units in 2006?

Peter Dille: Yeah.

Engadget: I'm gonna hold you to that.

Peter Dille: Okay, you can hold us all to it!

How can we, when you say now that your goal has been only a million units? Well, I'm holding you to it. You missed your goal. I'm sorry. Why can't you admit it publicly instead of changing the numbers and hoping no one notices?

Sony, you need to rein in your public relations staff and start telling us the truth. You need to either make sure you know you can hit the goals that you announce, or be willing to admit that you missed them when you fall short. Revising the number after the fact is not good enough. The more these things happen the less credibility you have, and the less credibility you have the harder it is for us who're reporting your claims to take them seriously. I'd like to think I can trust you, but after this past week I feel like anything your representatives say is going to be suspect at best, and at worst an outright lie.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/1/11/6584

Why anyone would still buy into all the Sony crap/hype (<--samething actually) is beyond me. Sony wasn't always like that though. They used to be a quality company looking out for thier cutsomers above all. They've screwed those very same cutsomers time and time again. They used to make high quality products. The quality of Sony made products has gone down over the years and still continues to fall.

Why anyone would still buy into all the Sony crap/hype (<--samething actually) is beyond me. Sony wasn't always like that though. They used to be a quality company looking out for thier cutsomers above all. They've screwed those very same cutsomers time and time again. They used to make high quality products. The quality of Sony made products has gone down over the years and still continues to fall.
Sounds like Windows.

Sounds like Windows.

This is relevant to Sony how?

Everyone knows sony lies, or manipulates the truth to suit their needs, nothing really suprising here

Everyone knows sony lies, or manipulates the truth to suit their needs, nothing really suprising here
And other companies don't...
It's not. He's just spouting his 1.21 jigawatts of trolling power.
Yet my power is still eclipsed by the combined power of the Xbox trolls in the Sony section. If only I could harness their bs.

imo quite frankly dont give a shift about the company i just like playstation and the games that are on it the rest of this useless nonsense isnt even worth worrying about...

What is that supposed to mean? Can you point to another company that has so frequently and non-chalantly lied to their customers and the press? How can you possibly trust a company like that?

And I don't see how this compares in any way, shape, or form to Windows. It's one thing to have delays or changes in plans. It's a completely different thing to pretend that they never happened and to be so unrelentingly hypocritical ("HD starts when we say it does! Only 1080p is True HD! All our games will be 1080p!"). What a load of crap.

Yet my power is still eclipsed by the combined power of the Xbox trolls in the Sony section. If only I could harness their bs.

That was funny. Thanks. :rofl: I don't own an XBOX thank you.

What is that supposed to mean? Can you point to another company that has so frequently and non-chalantly lied to their customers and the press? How can you possibly trust a company like that?

And I don't see how this compares in any way, shape, or form to Windows. It's one thing to have delays or changes in plans. It's a completely different thing to pretend that they never happened and to be so unrelentingly hypocritical ("HD starts when we say it does! Only 1080p is True HD! All our games will be 1080p!"). What a load of crap.

I bet you someone will say Microsoft.

Hahahaha. You just made that thread so that you could point at it as an example of Microsoft "lying?" There is absolutely no basis for that claim. Seriously, how much do they pay you over there?
Ah I wish I did work there, it would be so nice I could play games all day long. How is the pay at MS to post on Neowin?

Sounds like Windows.

While disappointed that most of the planned feature set for Vista didn't make it into the shipping version Microsoft never once said it was written in stone that all those features would stay. In the early days of Vista (Longhorn) the platform was more of test bed of ideas and the best and most practical ways of developing those ideas. They [MS] even came out and said that their ambitions were a little too high and some of the planned [cooler] features were being put on the back burner until SP1 or SP2. Over the many years (since the late 70s) that I've been using MS products, never once, that I recall, did Microsoft ever make any set in stone promises on any software or hardware capabilities. They've always said, "This is what we hope to achieve."

Sony on the other hand spouts blatant lies about their products pretty much each and every time they open their collective mouths. They are so screwed up internally that the left side has no idea what the right side is doing. They make false claims about the capabilities of their products to sell those products and then turn right around and contradict, more than once, what was said in previous statements. Over those same years, Sony has went from a grade A company to a company that's not worthy of the consumers that they pretend to cater to.

Ah I wish I did work there, it would be so nice I could play games all day long. How is the pay at MS?

about $47 an hr plus regular benefits, bonuses, free stuff and fact you work for a company that values its costumers more than anything else... :happy: :yes:

about $47 an hr plus regular benefits, bonuses, free stuff and fact you work for a company that values its costumers more than anything else... :happy: :yes:

I want to work there! Seriously, I really do! :pinch:

You get paid by the hour? lol I've never even calculated that... would be really hard given how much my hours fluctuate from week to week.

You get paid by the hour? lol I've never even calculated that... would be really hard given how much my hours fluctuate from week to week.

nope, just do your taxes and you'll get to it... simple math... :blush: :shifty: :p

without trying to enter this flame fest here, id just like to say i used to like Sony products. But what Sony has shown me for games and technology has not really impressed me too much.

When it comes down to other products, Lately i just haven't been too impressed. When a Sony TV is next to a Toshiba TV, I like the Toshiba more often, maybe its just that the store has a crappy Sony TV next to a high end Toshiba TV. However, with Sony I find 'you pay the price' and what I mean by that is, a lot of Sony products cost more than what you could get from other brands just because its 'Sony'. I feel their quality is not worth that extra money.

When it comes down to it, Sony makes decent products, but i feel they aren't as much quality as they were years ago. Nor are they the same leader of technology that I used to believe they were.

I don't know, not to judge the Playstation 3 so early, there are not really any great games out for it yet that interest me, I'd rather go for a xbox 360, most of my friends have the system, and they all got live. I feel I would benefit better with a Xbox 360 than a Playstation 3, even though I used to love the Playstation brand, (I had a Playstation 1/2).

If MS values their damn customers then give me Windows XP SP3 before 2008 and DirectX10 on Windows XP. Companies only value customers because of their money. Sony, MS, Nintendo included.

If MS values their damn customers then give me Windows XP SP3 before 2008 and DirectX10 on Windows XP. Companies only value customers because of their money. Sony, MS, Nintendo included.

Err, DirectX 10 isn't possible on Windows XP. Not without magically turning Windows XP into Vista... which you can already do by buying it :)