Problem Installing Mac Os X 10.2

hey everyone....i must first say that i am a newbie to mac's. so here goes: I am currently trying to install MAC OS X 10.2 on my cousin's imac. i popped in the cd it asked me to reboot to intall and so i did...after the installer loaded, i followed all the promps, then it asked me for the destination...when i went to choose the hard drive, it said the following "you cannot instal MAC OS X on this disk. an earlier version of MAC OS X is not installed". so i thought that it was trying to do an upgrade and it cannot upgrade from mac os 8.6. so i went into disk utility and formatted the hard drive. I went ahear again with the installer, and again it keps saying the same thing: "you cannot instal MAC OS X on this disk. an earlier version of MAC OS X is not installed". I know this isn;t the upgrade cd cause my friend told me that it was the full install. it is not a boot leg it is an original...also, in the installer it says the u can choose between upgrade or install, but it does not give me that option. any help pleaseeeeeeee!!

just because your friend "says" it's the full thing, doesn't validate it as being so. On the disc, under where it says "Mac OS X v10.2", does it say "Upgrade". That'd be a good sign it's not the full thing ;)

Does your cousin's iMac come with an Mac OS 9 CD?, cuz use that then upgrade to OS X ....

Have'nt used Mac's in a long time so i'm not sure :unsure: ....

Radish.