Sun's java and Microsoft

Sun won a suit today that says Microsoft must include sun's java in windows from now on. No link heard it on the news.

Sodapop

I don't see anything on this. What a victroy for Sun, if this is true.

Please post a link, as I'm unable to find anything on the web...

This is huge news! I think it's good that one app can be written in Java and now will have support in Solaris, Linux, Windows, etc. Developers shouldn't have to worry about what OS they write for... it would be better if you could just program and it works on anything.

Can't wait for the argument on the front page of Neowin in the tradition of:

Macromedia sucks because it's not Microsoft

Sun sucks because it's not Microsoft

GameCube sucks because it's not Microsoft

AOL sucks because it's not Microsoft

Mozilla sucks because it's not Microsoft

Adobe sucks because it's not Microsoft

Linux sucks because it's not Microsoft

Hey, I should make it a sig next year lol

This is huge news!  I think it's good that one app can be written in Java and now will have support in Solaris, Linux, Windows, etc.  Developers shouldn't have to worry about what OS they write for... it would be better if you could just program and it works on anything.

This is actually complete crap.

Microsoft can put in sun java all they want, that still won't stop them from making the .NET Framework Adopted to Windows.

BTW this is a "PRELIMINARY INJUNCTION" the final outcome of this case could fall back right into Sun Microsystems Face. The best microsoft could do, if this sticks is include it in the next Service Pack. Don't Expect anything more.

This is huge news! I think it's good that one app can be written in Java and now will have support in Solaris, Linux, Windows, etc. Developers shouldn't have to worry about what OS they write for... it would be better if you could just program and it works on anything.

Front End Windows Programming Should be done in C++ or VB. For the record Java Front End applications are crap, they're big and ugly to boot. Swing is absolute pooh in Windows Programming.

The only thing java is usefull for is Server-Side Development.

Microsoft can put in sun java all they want, that still won't stop them from making the .NET Framework Adopted to Windows.

At least developers will have a choice between developing for Windows or developing for everything that Java runs on.

EDIT: And I should add everyone has to remember that Microsoft is one of the most profitable companies in the world. They have some $40 billion dollars in cash on hand in case of trouble. Sun is a piddly company in comparison. So, if Sun's true version of Java gets a foothold now by piggybacking onto future Windows versions, they can potentially get a lot more funds along the way to improving their platform and development.

Think to the future. Takes time.

Edited by Fotix

At least developers will have a choice between developing for Windows or developing for everything that Java runs on.

EDIT: And I should add everyone has to remember that Microsoft is one of the most profitable companies in the world. They have some $40 billion dollars in cash on hand in case of trouble. Sun is a piddly company in comparison. So, if Sun's true version of Java gets a foothold now by piggybacking onto future Windows versions, they can potentially get a lot more funds along the way to improving their platform and development.

You already have a damn choice!

Go to "sun" download the JDK, get a copy of Borland JBuilder for Windows and start your programming!

Go to "sun" download the JDK, get a copy of Borland JBuilder for Windows and start your programming!

end users StainD, end users...

You have to download the Sun JRE in order to get the programs to run right now. Microsoft built there's right into the OS and have a large advantage over any competitor. I could care less if it was Sun. It could be some other company for all I Care.

It's like Microsoft coming up with their own anti-virus software, building it into windows, and putting Norton, McAffee, et al. out of business. They do it time and time again until every competitor is destroyed and they rule everything that runs on Windows. They either buy a company, or compete with them with their advantage of being the OS creators.

You have to download the Sun JRE in order to get the programs to run right now. Microsoft built there's right into the OS and have a large advantage over any competitor. I could care less if it was Sun. It could be some other company for all I Care.

It's like Microsoft coming up with their own anti-virus software, building it into windows, and putting Norton, McAffee, et al. out of business. They do it time and time again until every competitor is destroyed and they rule everything that runs on Windows. They either buy a company, or compete with them with their advantage of being the OS creators.

You comment, was strickly about Developers not having a choice

Where did you talk about "END USERS" don't try to change something, that you never spoke off..

You comment, was strickly about Developers not having a choice

Where did you talk about "END USERS" don't try to change something, that you never spoke off..

Um, I dunno... maybe because why develop something if end users can't run it? :laugh:

Please read: (yes, all 40 pages. I did.)

http://www.mdd.uscourts.gov/Opinions152/Op...s/SunPI1202.pdf

Over and out,

-Fotix

So, if Sun's true version of Java gets a foothold now by piggybacking onto future Windows versions, they can potentially get a lot more funds along the way to improving their platform and development.

But WHY is it Microsoft responciblity to help its competition?

BTW, this goes out to everyone, please watch out about getting to riled up in this thread or it's closing time.

So, if Sun's true version of Java gets a foothold now by piggybacking onto future Windows versions, they can potentially get a lot more funds along the way to improving their platform and development.

Think to the future.  Takes time.

But WHY is it Microsoft responciblity to help its competition?

BTW, this goes out to everyone, please watch out about getting to riled up in this thread or it's closing time.

Marshalus, please read the PDF. It explains everything better than pathetic old me could ever do. :cry:

Two things:

1 - JRE is slow. When I had Morpehus/LimeWire installed the Jave run-time slowed my computer to a halt. Maybe the .NET framework hides it better, but I have the framework and the ASP.NET framework installed and I don't see any peformance hit.

2 - Sun whines and complains about wanting MS to distribute the Java runtime claiming that no one will download it. Well, look at Morpheus/LimeWire/Etc they all got the end user to download the run-time.

If you product is worth it, then people will download whatever they need. The better your product the bigger the download can be and people will still download it.

I only hope to god that I can remove the java run-time after the SP 2 (or whatever forces the install). I still hold out hope that after the trial, MS will be victorious and they can stop shipping it.

Die Sun, Die