AutoPatcher no longer allowed

• Please log in to reply
585 replies to this topic

#16 Wivern

Wivern

Neowinian

• 25 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:48

Release the buildprocess & source code to the public.
Then we can make our own builds and µSoft can't stop it anymore.

Long live open source.

#17 vetJames7

James7

Fixed tentatively

• 7,385 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

this is a real shame. maybe the autopatcher crew can continue to package 3rd party software (like java and flash and the cool tweaks) until microsoft come to their senses.

#18 vetgigapixels

gigapixels

Neowinian Senior

• 16,520 posts

Lets hope MS come up with there own solution for it I vaguely remember before XP SP2 they did a security rollup where several updates where in the one download.

I think it would be nice if they offered this every now and then a single download that has all the updates in it after SP2 perhaps they could have it make you register the PC after you have ran the updates on it making it possible to update peoples PC's for them when they are on dial up etc.

The single download isn't the point of AutoPatcher though. The cool thing about AutoPatcher is that you have a disc ready with the updates and you don't need to actually download the updates when setting up the computer, which can take quite a long time as it seems the XP update system seems to slow everything down. It also includes several optional updates that are never included in the infrequent rollups that Microsoft puts out. All in all, it's much more convenient to use AutoPatcher when compared to any solution Microsoft has ever provided.

This is a poor decision by Microsoft. I can understand their concern of being blamed if malicious code were distributed with their updates, but the AutoPatcher project has been going for 4 years without incident, so I'm at a loss as to why they would be concerned about this now.

#19 jelli

jelli

Long time lurker, slow time poster!

• 1,341 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:51

Very disappointing move by Microsoft i must admit. However the cache function on google has helped me out slightly ;)

#20 Panacik

Panacik

Little man

• 10,665 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:00

Wow, thats a real shame. I only just started using it and realised what a great application it is. How very sad :(

#21 DomZ

DomZ

Neowinian Senior

• 3,223 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1020 / Nexus 4 / iPhone 4

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:05

Release the buildprocess & source code to the public.
Then we can make our own builds and µSoft can't stop it anymore.

Long live open source.

I second this!

#22 PsiMoon314

PsiMoon314

Neowinian

• 387 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:08

Hi Guys,

It's a sad day and I don't mind saying that I am in shock here regarding the AP news.

I appreciate that the AP project is now dead as far as Neowin concerned, however I am wondering if there could be a future for it in another form?

Perhaps if the hotfixes and patches themselves are not re-distributed then MS would be able to live with it?

There are other projects which list the hotfixes for download or automate the download of the hotfixes directly from MS servers for offline use. If this could be combined with the AP framework then we could still have a viable project.

Folks would need to download the hotfixes themselves however once this is done the AP framework could still be useful for installing the hotfixes offline.

I have PM'ed some of the AP team with my suggestions so we will see what will come of it.

At the end of the day this is an attempt by MS to close down a freeware project that competes with their own automated patch distribution systems.

Anyone who thinks this has anything to do with security of the patches is deluding themselves.

Giving that MS had no issues with this project for over 4 years it seems strange for them to object now based on security concerns.

I am also disappointed that the Neowin Staff has let MS run roughshod over this project and done little to fight this action by MS.

Regards

Simon

#23 1Frothy

1Frothy

Neowinian Senior

• 2,301 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:09

Is this Microsoft trying to kill off Windows XP on purpose? I really don't understand their objection. Maybe they should release quarterly patch rollups then. Not that they will.

Thumbs down to Microsoft for this Big Brotherish move.

#24 JohnBfromMemphis

JohnBfromMemphis

Neowinian

• 139 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:12

Why would MS allow firefox users to access windows update? I even stopped using nightly builds and switched back to 2.0.0.6 ... nothing.

#25 thunderrooster

thunderrooster

Neowinian

• 171 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:15

What a crock of sh**. What is the crap about neowin is not allowed. Is Microsoft telling you what to do now neowin? Cant believe neowin will just do whatever it is told by Microsoft. Who is your daddy neowin lol. Wonder what will happen to http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/ and sites like that if "Microsoft will only allow updates to be downloaded from its own servers."

#26 1Frothy

1Frothy

Neowinian Senior

• 2,301 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:17

What a crock of sh**. What is the crap about neowin is not allowed. Is Microsoft telling you what to do now neowin? Cant believe neowin will just do whatever it is told by Microsoft. Who is your daddy neowin lol. Wonder what will happen to http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/ and sites like that if "Microsoft will only allow updates to be downloaded from its own servers."

Looks like Ryan has pretty much abondoned his pet project anyway. It's been months since the last update.

#27 vetgigapixels

gigapixels

Neowinian Senior

• 16,520 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:20

Are you kidding? Neowin can be taken down faster than you can blink an eye if they don't listen to Microsoft. Go ahead and make your own website as popular as Neowin and then get on some large corporation's bad side, let alone Microsoft's. Let's see how well you do :rolleyes:

#28 jelli

jelli

Long time lurker, slow time poster!

• 1,341 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:20

So Neowin should fight for the right to redistribute what belongs to Microsoft in the first place? Please think before posting, it is Microsoft's software and they can do with it what they wish, they are simply locking down all sources to get patches from so that they can control and ensure that the patches that people receive are genuine.

Shame that Ryan has stopped supporting his project, was a great fan of it combined with nLite.

#29 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• 6,268 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:23

I could be completely wrong here but perhaps the real reason behind this is SP3 (for XP)? as in since SP3 is essentially just all the updates for XP from SP2 onwards and nothing new (correct me if I'm wrong) and they feel AP would undermind SP3 so they decided to stop AP?? but this is only what I think so take with a grain of salt.

#30 kouhii00

kouhii00

Neowinian

• 245 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:25

Whoa calm down buddy. You do know when a big corporation with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ goes after a puny (compared to MS) site you know who loses right? Besides it's MS's softwares they have rights to it if you don't like it then don't use it, simple.