AutoPatcher no longer allowed

Great... now how am i going to update all those 'stupid' patches online..

Even installing from autopatcher took 1 hour.. and now without it... this is bxxxsxxt from MS... typical dunno how to do it and just ask people not to do it..

If they really care bout customer.. they should come out with something like this long before the release of XP...

even Vista.. have plenty to updates...

@DaveLegg, i'd have thought you'd forgive me considering the news...

i'm in a state of shock...

I totally understand the sentiment, but I didn't want to see someone else come along and warn you for it, or other members to say 'but you let theblazingangel get away with bypassing the swear filter'.

I totally understand the sentiment, but I didn't want to see someone else come along and warn you for it, or other members to say 'but you let theblazingangel get away with bypassing the swear filter'.

Now which member would do that? :whistle: :shifty:

I'd understand if it was for piracy/wga reasons ... but for security reasons? don't know... the autopatcher was a project that benefitted MS imo.

@Blaze,

Please don't be to upset!

Check your PM's and let see if there is something we can do to keep the project alive in another form! :)

Let not let MS have the last word on this issue.

Kind Regards

Simon

@DaveLegg, i'd have thought you'd forgive me considering the news...

i'm in a state of shock...

yea... contact MS offer them to make an authorized package... explain them the benefits.

Its great for everyone who want to make a new updated XP cd

:| Well it was good while it lasted..

maybe autopatcher can be changed so that it just downloads the updates from the server and installs them through its own interface type thing

although that would be a bit pointless for non-internet enabled computers. :ermm:

YES you do..

Does Microsoft Own Neowin?? (((NO))).. so that is the grounds.

They do however own the software and patches they release.

AutoPatcher was a simply superb project. I can't believe Microsoft took 4 years before deciding to take legal action, but it is really really low of them to put an end to what was such hard work by the AP team.

I have a horrible feeling that RyanVM's project is their next target... :(

1 thing for sure, this is gonna make Network Administration (my job) a whole lot harder and more tedious! Thanks Microsoft! :angry:

@dl0711 - Neowin do not have any grounds to challenge the decision by Microsoft. It is not a website issue, it is an issue relating to their product. They would own Neowin and AP in any court action.

WOW is that all???.. I'm sure you can find things on Microsofts site that Microsoft dont own.. (IE. WinXP file was made with Pirated Software)

and they DO NOT OWN IT.. the Users who paid for Microsoft OS own it.. if Microsoft made a good OS there would be no need for the AP.. (IE. WGA Server down = NO UPDATES)..

I think you'll find that the EULA states that you do not own the copy of Windows that you are using, you merely own a license to use Microsoft's OS. Hence it is always owned by Microsoft. You only pay for the privillage to use it.

@dl0711 - Neowin do not have any grounds to challenge the decision by Microsoft. It is not a website issue, it is an issue relating to their product. They would own Neowin and AP in any court action.

No it will not. I'm sure once the courts find out that it was left for 4 years they would side on Neowins & APs Faver. since Microsoft knew this was going on and did Nothing about it the first 2 months of the 4 years..

YES you do..

Does Microsoft Own Neowin?? (((NO))).. so that is the grounds.

Glad you answered that... i was going to post the exact same thing.

WOW is that all???.. I'm sure you can find things on Microsofts site that Microsoft dont own.. (IE. WinXP file was made with Pirated Software)

and they DO NOT OWN IT.. the Users who paid for Microsoft OS own it.. if Microsoft made a good OS there would be no need for the AP.. (IE. WGA Server down = NO UPDATES)..

Let me guess... we should all go to Linux?

Microsoft do OWN Windows. You buy the right to install a copy of THEIR OS on your machine, but not the right to the software itself. That is why there is a EULA. You cannot reverse engineer or change the code for Windows itself, regardless of the fact you bought a LICENCE to install a copy on your machine.

Microsoft do make a good OS, the problem is that its so widely used that people exploit it more. If Linux was the main OS of coice in the world, people would be exploiting that just as much.

The updates are MS property and you can only install them if you can prove you have a valid licence for you copy of the Windows OS. Therfore it is MS decision if they allow people to use their updates in such a way on their OS.

No it will not. I'm sure once the courts find out that it was left for 4 years they would side on Neowins & APs Faver. since Microsoft knew this was going on and did Nothing about it the first 2 months of the 4 years..

Well, maybe some attorney would find a case against Microsoft, maybe not. Either way, if it was me, I wouldn't have anywhere near the financial ability to go against the likes of Microsoft and their dedicated legal department. I think the same applies to Neowin and the AP team.

You really dont understand licenceing and/oor law do you?

Wow. You clearly don't understand how this works.

Software, like music, is protected by copyright. When you buy a music CD, or an XP/Vista CD/DVD, you buy the media and packaging, but only have a license to use the software or play the music. No one is free to redistribute the software or music, unless the license allows it (which is rare).

You didn't buy the rights to redistribute the software. The patches Microsoft issues are also property of Microsoft, and if Microsoft chooses to enforce the rights to control or restrict redistribution, then that is their right, and Neowin must comply.

I received two DMCA take-down notices for the torrent tracker this morning. I'm still deciding whether to just keep it up and claim that .torrent files aren't infringing as I'm not hosting any actual patches, just a file that describes them.

Well, maybe some attorney would find a case against Microsoft, maybe not. Either way, if it was me, I wouldn't have anywhere near the financial ability to go against the likes of Microsoft and their dedicated legal department. I think the same applies to Neowin and the AP team.

And that is exactly the problem. They have unlimited funds for legal disputes (not that that stopped them being retards about the Eolas crap that subsequently annoys web developers on a daily basis) so noone bothers as they know they'll just be bankrupted for attempting to defend a justifiable action.

@M2Ys4U: tell them to get stuffed as it is an abuse of DMCA. Then move your hosting to a more enlightened country. Then tell them to get stuffed again, just in case they didn't hear you first time.

I received two DMCA take-down notices for the torrent tracker this morning. I'm still deciding whether to just keep it up and claim that .torrent files aren't infringing as I'm not hosting any actual patches, just a file that describes them.

Move the hosting to Russia, i hear its harder for them to get a result from ther :)

Hi,

Is your torrent tracker located on a US owned or operated server? Is it located in the US?

If not then the DMCA is *not* international law and you do not need to respond to it.

What part of the DMCA are they claiming you have violated? Get clarification and see if they have a valid argument or not.

Kind Regards

Simon