Scientists make worms gay

Shame you cant cure intolerance and close mindedness, maybe the world would be a better place.

Well you're being intolerant and closed-minded to their views. Should you be cured of that?

Great, soon we can cure this disease :D
What disease is that?
Homosexuality
lol good one...
homosexuality = wrong = against nature+God

whats wrong with the world?

lmao this is great :D

Well you're being intolerant and closed-minded to their views. Should you be cured of that?

It's ok to be intolerant of intolerant people. Example: Hitler was intolerant of Jews, blacks, gays, etc. This intolerance was harmful. I am intolerant of Hitler. However, since my intolerance is based in freedom, not oppression, my intolerance is ok.

mmmk, so then people could become gay or straight if this pans out how it seems, right?

No, it means that we could choose whether our offspring is gay or straight (as if those were the only two choices). But since it already seems to happen randomly, I see no reason why we would want to.

It's ok to be intolerant of intolerant people. Example: Hitler was intolerant of Jews, blacks, gays, etc. This intolerance was harmful. I am intolerant of Hitler. However, since my intolerance is based in freedom, not oppression, my intolerance is ok.

No, it isn't okay. You can't call someone intolerant if you are being intolerant as well. Just because they have different views than you, doesn't mean that you are right and they are wrong. A lot of people supported and agreed with Hitler. If you are going to tell someone to be tolerant of other people, you should be tolerant as well, even if you don't agree with them.

No, it means that we could choose whether our offspring is gay or straight (as if those were the only two choices). But since it already seems to happen randomly, I see no reason why we would want to.

I wonder if that'll ever happen. I bet there are lots of people who would choose. There'd probably be some type of test first though to determine if your child would be gay or not.

No, it isn't okay. You can't call someone intolerant if you are being intolerant as well. Just because they have different views than you, doesn't mean that you are right and they are wrong. A lot of people supported and agreed with Hitler. If you are going to tell someone to be tolerant of other people, you should be tolerant as well, even if you don't agree with them.

So by your statement, I take it you a complete pacifist and are completely against going to war with anyone. In fact, while Hitler went around committing genocide and taking over countries, you would have just sat back and watched, because it "wouldn't be okay" to be intolerant to him.

There comes a point when freedom is more important than tolerance. For example, allowing gays and lesbians to marry doesn't hurt anyone, but there are intolerant people out there who don't want to allow it simply because of their "beliefs". Since freedom > than bigotry, gays and lesbians can now marry in Canada (as well as many other countries).

So by your statement, I take it you a complete pacifist and are completely against going to war with anyone. In fact, while Hitler went around committing genocide and taking over countries, you would have just sat back and watched, because it "wouldn't be okay" to be intolerant to him.

There comes a point when freedom is more important than tolerance. For example, allowing gays and lesbians to marry doesn't hurt anyone, but there are intolerant people out there who don't want to allow it simply because of their "beliefs". Since freedom > than bigotry, gays and lesbians can now marry in Canada (as well as many other countries).

(I stopped reading after your first sentence) Nope, not at all. I never claimed to be such. All I said was that someone can't claim to be open minded and tolerant of other people, when they are only open minded and tolerant of people who have the same views as themselves. If they don't, then the other person is close-minded and in-tolerant. It's quite hypocritical.

Back on topic please.

homosexuality = wrong = against nature+God

whats wrong with the world?

Actually, although I'm not religious I am taking a religion course at the moment and we happen to be on the subject of homosexuality.

The church is not AGAINST homosexuality, they understand that people may just be born being one. It's not being a homosexual they're against, it's the sexual acts that can come along with it, which is why the church calls all homosexuals to practice a life of celibacy.

Edited by rollinup

Actually, although I'm not religious I am taking a religion course at the moment and we happen to be on the subject of homosexuality.

The church is not AGAINST homosexuality, they understand that people may just be born being one. It's not being a homosexual they're against, it's the sexual acts that can come along with it, which is why the church calls all homosexuals to practice a life of celibacy.

Yea church's ACCEPT it now, before they were against it.

Homosexuality is caused by all the estrogen. Pregnant women eat a lot and induce a ton of estergon (spelling) which there for mixes hormones and the "male" baby now has female traits/more estrogen than he/she is supposed too.

Sensatize/sissy men ftl

Homosexuality is caused by all the estrogen. Pregnant women eat a lot and induce a ton of estergon (spelling) which there for mixes hormones and the "male" baby now has female traits/more estrogen than he/she is supposed too.

Proof or your making it up.

--------------------------------------------

What's really a shame about this kind of news is that scientists are getting research grants to do studies like these, to justify something that doesn't need to be justified, rather than that money going to more productive causes.

Sensatize/sissy men ftl

Actually, the closest people that I've met to being gay, who weren't ACTUALLY gay, were men who had no male role model. Out of the 3 people like this I knew, they all were the single males (except for the father, who although lived with them, didnt play an active role with his son anyway) in the family. They all also had around 3 sisters, so everything their sisters did, the men joined in aswell.

Could this explain their "camp" behaviour?

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing about black people. I mean, the reason that every black person is stupid and acts like a "gangsta" is because their mothers either had too much testosterone or they didn't have a proper father figure.

Could this explain their "criminal" behavior?

See, THAT'S how ignorant you sound.

Sensatize/sissy men ftl

This is the science section. I believe that you are looking for Area 51, just around the corner. Don't worry, it's a common mistake.

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing about black people. I mean, the reason that every black person is stupid and acts like a "gangsta" is because their mothers either had too much testosterone or they didn't have a proper father figure.

Could this explain their "criminal" behavior?

See, THAT'S how ignorant you sound.

Well, it MAY explain their criminal behaviour. :rolleyes:

It can also explain why not all people like I mentioned turn out gay, only some choose it. Maybe their sisters have been showing them too much boy's pictures :rolleyes:

Well, it MAY explain their criminal behaviour. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping that little :rolleyes: means you're being sarcastic, although with as much hate as you spew about gay men, it would surprise me is you were a huge racist too.

It can also explain why not all people like I mentioned turn out gay, only some choose it. Maybe their sisters have been showing them too much boy's pictures :rolleyes:

Unless you have some proof that homosexuality is a choice, stop stating it as if it were fact. We're in the science section, and most people here aren't interested in your unfounded conjectures.

I'm hoping that little :rolleyes: means you're being sarcastic, although with as much hate as you spew about gay men, it would surprise me is you were a huge racist too.

Unless you have some proof that homosexuality is a choice, stop stating it as if it were fact. We're in the science section, and most people here aren't interested in your unfounded conjectures.

Yes, we are in the science section. And unless you can PROVE that its not a choice, live with the consequences of your decision.

Yes, we are in the science section. And unless you can PROVE that its not a choice, live with the consequences of your decision.

My point (obvious to everyone, except you apparently) is that it isn't proven one way or the other, and you keep stating it as if it were fact. Well, it's not. We want real discussion, not your petty latent-hatred one-liners that you post in RWI.

My point (obvious to everyone, except you apparently) is that it isn't proven one way or the other, and you keep stating it as if it were fact. Well, it's not. We want real discussion, not your petty latent-hatred one-liners that you post in RWI.

So you are saying that it is genetic?

If it is genetic, do other major choices people make in their lives also affect them via their genes?

If it is genetic, do other major choices people make in their lives also affect them via their genes?

I like your question. It appears to be rational, but already is loaded by saying "other major choices", pre-supposing your held beliefs right into the question.

I am attracted to brunette women. It is just the way I am. Did I wake up as a teenager and say, "Hey! I think I will choose to be attracted to brunettes!"? No. It is just the way my brain works.

Why cannot someone who is gay not likewise be attracted to other men (in the case of guys) or women (in the case of girls)? Is it so hard for you to believe that it is the way our brains work that determine these sorts of things.

I like broccoli. Some people don't. It is what their brain tells them they like and don't like. I didn't choose to like broccoli.

I like your question. It appears to be rational, but already is loaded by saying "other major choices", pre-supposing your held beliefs right into the question.

I am attracted to brunette women. It is just the way I am. Did I wake up as a teenager and say, "Hey! I think I will choose to be attracted to brunettes!"? No. It is just the way my brain works.

Why cannot someone who is gay not likewise be attracted to other men (in the case of guys) or women (in the case of girls)? Is it so hard for you to believe that it is the way our brains work that determine these sorts of things.

I like broccoli. Some people don't. It is what their brain tells them they like and don't like. I didn't choose to like broccoli.

So, if a person likes to fight, he can blame it on his genes?

Rapists like to rape, paedophiles like to molest. Can these people say that their brain is configured that way, and it's no fault of their own?

what makes someone someone? it's their physical self. their brain, their genes, their hormones, etc. they can't blame their brain as if it was an external entity. anyway, rapists are put in prison to protect society, not to blame them. what good is blame?

So, if a person likes to fight, he can blame it on his genes?

Rapists like to rape, paedophiles like to molest. Can these people say that their brain is configured that way, and it's no fault of their own?

Here you go again with that shifty loaded questioning.

People who do those awful things are "defective" in their behaviors. These behaviors are a complex mix of genetic pre-disposition and environment. So, yes, their brain is "wired" to do those things and get enjoyment from it. Then you, against all reason, tack on the "it's no fault of their own". That is a separate topic, that assigning blame game you are playing. It is a matter of desire for that behavior, coupled with the inability to control those urges. How do you propose to assign blame and fault? It is ludicrous to attempt to derail a discussion with this smoke and mirrors attempt to find fault.

Let me make it simple for you ZAnwar... What food can you absolutely not stand? Think of anything possibly exotic that would make you gag, monkey brains, grilled eyeballs. Anything. Now, I want you to choose to enjoy those things and eat a big plate full of it.

See? Not a choice.

I believe it is genetic yes, but I have no proof, so I don't say that, no. Not in this section anyway. That's my point - you are saying things as if they were facts when they are not. This is dishonest, and if you were in academia or science, no one would listen to you. You would never be published, you would never get a job, and you would probably never receive a degree from a reputable institution.