[Official] Grand Theft Auto IV

Water looks a lot better on the consoles, just looks like a mirror on the PC version. Night shot isn't that good looking either, just looks like a grey, rainy day ... And what's with the disco clouds, where the hell does the brown come from?!

Only the top screenshot looks better.

Bigger screenshot, shows off the differences better

gta4pccon2.jpg

gta4pccon1.jpg

gta4pccon3.jpg

Water looks more natural on the PC version IMO, and the last screenshot looks like they're at different times.

But it does show off how much better the draw distance is on the PC.

Screenshots never do games justice, only by playing each version can you properly make comparisons. Besides, PC version is destined to look better.

Anyone remember this lol

gta4_screen1.jpg

• 1 year later...

Ha just read my old post that I'd rate the game 6 or 7. That's a bit too harsh, especially with the DLC. It's easily an 8 or 9 in my books now lol

New patch for PC out, 1.0.7.0.

How do we download it? I can't find the download link anywhere. :(

Edit: I had to download it from in game.

Look at those comparison shots, I actually prefer how the console versions looked. I know the PC ones were sharper but the blurriness of the consoles ones actually worked for the overall look and feel.

GTA IV itself gets a 10/10 for everything but the story from me. I really didn't like the characters though, so maybe that's why I felt the story was a bit weak as I had no real connection to any of them. Little Jacob is cool, but that's about it. The missions were fun at least though. Give the story a 7/10 I suppose.

Now, I've just started in the Lost and the Damned and am already loving the characters and story so far. I also like how the atmosphere feels so different despite being in the same setting lol. Can't wait to finish it and hit up BoGT. (Y)

GTA IV itself gets a 10/10 for everything but the story from me. I really didn't like the characters though, so maybe that's why I felt the story was a bit weak as I had no real connection to any of them. Little Jacob is cool, but that's about it. The missions were fun at least though. Give the story a 7/10 I suppose.

Now, I've just started in the Lost and the Damned and am already loving the characters and story so far. I also like how the atmosphere feels so different despite being in the same setting lol. Can't wait to finish it and hit up BoGT. (Y)

Characters get a 10/10 simply for Brucie.

Characters get a 10/10 simply for Brucie.

Forgot about Brucie for a second there actually, but yeah, he's awesome. :p

Niko being the main character sounded like Mario half the time, and never once gave me the impression he was actually ex-military or whatever. Kate's just downright annoying, and Packie won't shut the hell up about his mom and dad. Roman was decent enough though I suppose. Actually grew to like him and Brucie because of their attitudes and outlook on life.

Think I'd bump the story from a 7 to 8 actually.

I need to finish tBoGT SP still.

I wasn't talking about tbogt..lol.. was talking about the GTAIV storyline. :laugh:

I wasn't talking about tbogt..lol.. was talking about the GTAIV storyline. :laugh:

I know. I just wanted to bump my postcount in a relatable manner. I've finished GTA4 twice... lol.

I know. I just wanted to bump my postcount in a relatable manner. I've finished GTA4 twice... lol.

I don't know why I couldn't finish it.. it was.. I think I got frustrated in one mission or something..

GTA IV's helicopter controls were awful. I can fly helis pretty well in Bad Company 2 but GTA IV was incredibly difficult. It took me a few attempts to finish the last mission due to this. I did not like the story or the gameplay that much despite the immersive atmosphere.

GTA IV's helicopter controls were awful. I can fly helis pretty well in Bad Company 2 but GTA IV was incredibly difficult. It took me a few attempts to finish the last mission due to this. I did not like the story or the gameplay that much despite the immersive atmosphere.

I dunno how you could think that. I felt that helicopters were too easy to fly in GTA4. Though there is certainly an issue with using guns and missiles on the helicopters as it's almost impossible to aim correctly.

I dunno how you could think that. I felt that helicopters were too easy to fly in GTA4. Though there is certainly an issue with using guns and missiles on the helicopters as it's almost impossible to aim correctly.

I played with a keyboard + mouse instead of a controller so that might be the reason.

Took me a bit to get the hang of the helicopter, but once I did, it was pretty easy. It's also a lot easier to use the WASD keys with the number pad controls. The mouse is just too weird imo.

Look at those comparison shots, I actually prefer how the console versions looked. I know the PC ones were sharper but the blurriness of the consoles ones actually worked for the overall look and feel.

Those comparison shots are a joke. This was from when the PC version wasn't even out yet, just some weird promo shots (especially the last one).

And for your info you can enable that blurry look on the PC. There's even a key bind to toggele it on or off on the fly. But I personally find it unbearable, not a fan of the vaseline smeared all over my screen look, just makes my eyes hurt.

PC version has everything the console has plus more. You can get the same look on the computer as on the console or you can increase the overall resolution from 720p, texture quality from medium to high or very high, view distance from 20 to 100 etc.

And then there's the controls. I personally find the WASD + mouse scheme for driving (not to mention on foot) far superior to the gamepad. Reason being, by default the camera is way too close to the road but having free control over the camera with my mouse I can hold it exactly in the position I want. And while cornering I don't have to deal with the camera that lags behind and blindly take the turns. Only time I picked up my gamepad was when I got into helicopter.