GTAIV: PS3 version runs at 630p while 360 version at 720p

That's one thing I'd worry about :p

1UPYours (gaming podcast) had an interesting conversation on working in the games industry from a journalist side of things and then a developer.

They said one thing that ruins games for some developers is they'll sit and play a game and wonder about the coding behind it, see bugs they know they could fix, ect ,ect - Basically sit and analyse the game instead of having fun with it and playing it like Joe Bloggs would :p

Well ... sorry to go off topic from the main thread, and I will not drag it out ... but my view is this ... I've worked on a ton of stuff ... from crappy little conversions to major franchises like FIFA and Need For Speed ... thing is ... the same thing has always dogged these games. The lack of any kind of real knowledgeable management. I mean ... the people I worked directly for were 99% of the time awesome. It was always the publishing arm that sent people who really didn't know anything about what they were doing. So, ideas you have get thrown aside for some ex-tester's (now producer) 'great' idea ... only to be thrown out later and 5 weeks of your time wasted on something that you said would never work ... or you have a great idea for a game play feature that will genuinely add to the game, and instead they just want a roster update with some graphics tweaks. Oh, and those graphics tweaks have to be done in half the time, with double the effort.

I move in and out of games at the moment, as I'm running my own web design / illustration setup with two other people too ... we take on video games projects as part of our setup, but I am SO glad I left full time employment two years ago, working solid on games. I honestly think that too many people go into games with the wrong attitude... tehy think they're going to be millionaires within a year, and it's just like ANY other job... believe me ... when you've finished drawing your 50,000th texture, you'll be on auto pilot before you know it.

Unless you work in an environment where your managers know what they're talking about and are genuinely enthusiastic about new and exciting things. A rarity.

You know ... one last thing. I spent ?50,000 developing a kick ass demo for a game once ... it was awesome ... I took it to many large publishers. And the response? Awesome ... the final word? No licence and not a sequel... no thanks.

Oh... dear.

Not a big deal, I think. They look roughly the same side-by-side, so I don't see why it matters. It's really hard to notice from all the comparisons I've seen.

I agree with the guy, working in the industry can easily destroy your love for games. It's just one of those things, it may be a fun hobby, but when you HAVE to be around it all day, then you get forced to meet deadline and so on, it almost makes you want to stop all together.

Then, every now and then, something truly spectacular comes out and you become a hardcore gamer all over again. It's AWESOME.

It's like being an OB/GYN, then coming home to your lovely wife and saying "honey, if I have to see another one of THOSE today, I'm gonna scream".

GUYS come on stop getting off topic. Spartan just stop and everyone else just ignore it. I already messaged an admin about it. ANYWAY I do agree that working in the Video Game industry can ruin the fun.

Edited by bmaher
Removed redundant quote

I love all the "who cares" that we see now that it's not an exclusive title, but the moment similar news came out about Halo 3 there was so much bashing going on it was ridiculous. Ah, neowin. ;)

QFT (Y)

Brought this same point up when news of COD4 running at lower res was discovered.

With the 360, every game is scaled to 1080p

Much you have to learn, still, young padawan :yes:

Edited by DrunknMunky

Much you have to learn, still, young padawan :yes:

?

Every game is scaled to 1080p, even if they don't natively run in it. Not one title I've played on my 360, hasn't ran in 1080p on my TV.

Obviously I know some natively run in 1080p, but you're understanding me totally wrong if you think I meant the 360 has no native 1080p titles.

It's pretty damn obvious it does have some native 1080p titles!

So no, I don't have anything to learn :p

?

Every game is scaled to 1080p, even if they don't natively run in it. Not one title I've played on my 360, hasn't ran in 1080p on my TV.

Obviously I know some natively run in 1080p, but you're understanding me totally wrong if you think I meant the 360 has no native 1080p titles.

Bingo :p

?

It scales to whatever TV res you're running, so that you get the best possible image quality. Something the PS3 should do btw.

It scales to whatever TV res you're running, so that you get the best possible image quality. Something the PS3 should do btw.
It does afaik if you force the resolution. Ie. disable lower ones.

It does afaik if you force the resolution. Ie. disable lower ones.

It does that only if the game supports it, I remember having Dirt go down to 576p because 1080i wasn't supported. And 720p games don't get upscaled...

Looking at comparison shots, it seems that the 630p actually makes the aliasing less apparent on the PS3 version than the 360 version, which is the opposite of what happened with H3. I can understand now why some reviews were saying it looked softer.

But to be honest, you probably wouldn't even notice the difference between the two from a normal TV distance. Just enjoy the game people. :p

I do hope they bring out a PC version later this year though, I've always preferred playing GTA on max settings with the PC.

I do hope they bring out a PC version later this year though, I've always preferred playing GTA on max settings with the PC.

If they follow the same trend as the other PC ports, we can see GTA IV around Oct or Nov 2008. If they want to do it quicker, the better. :p heh

If they follow the same trend as the other PC ports, we can see GTA IV around Oct or Nov 2008. If they want to do it quicker, the better. :p heh

Yeah I heard a rumour for an October date, which would make sense. Maybe they'll announce it at E3 or something.

Looking at comparison shots, it seems that the 630p actually makes the aliasing less apparent on the PS3 version than the 360 version, which is the opposite of what happened with H3. I can understand now why some reviews were saying it looked softer.

But to be honest, you probably wouldn't even notice the difference between the two from a normal TV distance. Just enjoy the game people. :p

I haven't read this whole thread since I'm just taking a quick break from GTA4 (it did the now infamous lock thing on my 360 version during a totally random cutscene), but the actual resolution of the PS3 version is 1152x640 with no AA then scaled to 720p. So the same resolution as Halo 3 was. So the 360 version has higher resolution, AA, and DLC. The PS3 version has a different (better?) color palette, hdr that is speculated to be higher precision, slightly less pop-in, and quicker load times. In my book that's pretty much a wash.

A wash? Sorry, don't understand.

As for the PS3 version, it will be getting DLC. It looks identical to the 360 version as well. Unless you are anal and looking for these type of things, they are the exact same game.

The PS3 does some things better, the 360 does some things better. Nothing makes one better than the other.

FPS, resolution, visuals and popup are all important to me, hence why I'm waiting for the PC version. No point having to choose between them.

FPS, resolution, visuals and popup are all important to me, hence why I'm waiting for the PC version. No point having to choose between them.

Every GTA game I've played on a PC has had framerate issues, I dont expect IV to be any different.

Get a better PC, then.

Clever reply. :rolleyes:

I had a top of the range PC when I played the last GTA on a PC, I just don't like PC gaming.

Clever reply. :rolleyes:

I had a top of the range PC when I played the last GTA on a PC, I just don't like PC gaming.

Well I had a mediocre PC and it ran just fine for me. If you don't like PC gaming, what were you doing with a top of the range PC, then? Hmmm?